My Procharger install Review

7Lemons

Established Member
Okay, maybe I could try that to see if it's the gauge. The good news is I do hit the 8psi with the 4.00 earlier than 7000, maybe even 6000, so that's good. I do have long tubes and full O/R exhaust, and from what I have read on here and other sources, that will have a little bit of a lowering effect on boost pressure (less restriction). It seems to feel like it hits a wall a little bit at 6700 and above, almost the same feeling as when I was N/A with the stock IM before changing to the Boss IM. Lund is asking for another log to investigate that a little more...

7Lemons

Established Member
I've been meaning to come back and give an update for quite a while. I got the erratic boost situation figured out and it was the lack of belt tension. I moved the idler pulley down and got it a decent bit tighter and she makes a consistent 10-11 psi @7k now. 1st and 2nd are now totally useless :) and one of the last issues is that my coolant expansion tank seems to pressurize to the point of loosening the cap and coolant can seep out and spray on things if I keep pushing it when it's really hot outside, etc. Have you guys ever heard of that? At first I was really low on coolant from swapping the tanks, and I know I had air in there and I had to add a whole gallon of coolant. I was beginning to think it was burning it (like a bad head gasket), but the level seems to have stabilized now. I read many posts about it but none of them definitively saying what their solution was. I think a few people said burping the coolant system (to get air out) helped them. I've tried that but it still seems to do it. Should I look into a higher psi cap for the expansion tank? This might be a good to post in the blower section on here maybe?

Bill@HP is this the surge valve you have (if you still have it to sell)?: Details and do you think it will hold 11psi of boost okay? I've seen lots of posts and people saying it leaks way too much... no clue if that's true. I see a youtube video of Procharger trying to debunk that...but it does have some leakage there.

7Lemons

Established Member
Just a follow up to the past exchange over the bypass valve, and then a new issue/question if you guys don't mind. First, I swapped to the Proflo valve from Bill@HP and it works great and I prefer it hands down to the other bullet style one. No more street cleaner sound, and it holds boost just fine. In fact, there's the added bonus that it being a butterfly valve that closes proportionally with less vacuum, makes it feel smoother as the motor transitions at part throttle into boost. So - very happy about that. Now on to my next issue. I'd love to know if you guys ever had anything like this. You can see my separate thread about it and reply there if you have any feedback. I basically have the main supercharger pulley rubbing/scraping the main bracket due to lack of clearance...really hoping my head unit doesn't have shaft play or something! https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/p1sc-head-unit-pulley-rubbing-main-bracket.1164246/

Bill@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Just a follow up to the past exchange over the bypass valve, and then a new issue/question if you guys don't mind. First, I swapped to the Proflo valve from Bill@HP and it works great and I prefer it hands down to the other bullet style one. No more street cleaner sound, and it holds boost just fine. In fact, there's the added bonus that it being a butterfly valve that closes proportionally with less vacuum, makes it feel smoother as the motor transitions at part throttle into boost. So - very happy about that. Now on to my next issue. I'd love to know if you guys ever had anything like this. You can see my separate thread about it and reply there if you have any feedback. I basically have the main supercharger pulley rubbing/scraping the main bracket due to lack of clearance...really hoping my head unit doesn't have shaft play or something! https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/p1sc-head-unit-pulley-rubbing-main-bracket.1164246/

remove the pulley, see if you have a spacer installed on it for starters. If you've had the kit installed for some time it is odd that it would just now start rubbing.

7Lemons

Established Member
that's exactly what I'm going to do tonight. I think the rubbing has been on and off iirc, although I didn't hear it at all for the 1st few months of having the SC installed - but I'm not driving it a ton this summer so maybe I didn't notice before. I was thinking from the expansion and contraction of heating/cooling is causing it to rub on and off because it's just so close...? I slightly re-seated the pulley (just loosened the bolt and wiggled it to have a sheet of paper worth of clearance and tightened back down) and it went away for a few days but came back.

Users who are viewing this thread