My version of GT500 Front brake ducts

91svtbird

Established Member
Here is my version of what the brake cooling ducts should be on the 07 & 08 GT500

I used a 2-5/8” ID ( 2-7/8 OD) aluminum tube and cut it to match the existing angle of the front grille. Then made a flange out of 1/8” Aluminum and welded it to the tube .Next I sanded and polished the flange .
Backsideweld.jpg

Sideview1.jpg

After drilling a 3” hole where the existing factory ducts are I inserted the new inlet duct from the front side.

Frontgrill1.jpg

BrakeDuctFront.jpg

I then fabbed a backing plate to again match the grill angle and hold the tube in place.
Frontbrakeinletdriversbackside.jpg

Now I installed the brake cooling backing plates that I purchased from (Bruce) ac427Cobra @ SVTP

These are designed to direct cool air to the inside of the rotor to cool both the rotor and the bearings.
IMG_2022.jpg

coolingduct1.jpg

Next I installed the new 3” hoses from the from inlet to the new backing plates.
IMG_2043.jpg

IMG_2045.jpg

The 3" hoses fit perfectly on the new inlet tubes
IMG_2044.jpg

(Note :: the only thing I still have to do is to install an inlet debris screen inside the new tube which plan to do shortly.)

(This required a lot of time to do and is not something that I could or would do again in the future as a service . I just posted it to share it with everyone.)
Thanks ,
George……….

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
George:

Thanks for posting that up. Those inlets look great! A little more "professional" than my inlets. :-D But then again, I was going for volume!?? ;-)

Great job! Awesome idea! Thanks for sharing!

But IMHO you're going to want to tie that hose to your tie rod. The turning of the wheel is going to be putting a lot of stress on the spindle duct. You want the hose to move with the spindle.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
wow, those look great! especially from the front! hey bruce, wont dont you get some of these produced and sell them along side your ducts?

91svtbird

Established Member
George:

Thanks for posting that up. Those inlets look great! A little more "professional" than my inlets. :-D But then again, I was going for volume!?? ;-)

Great job! Awesome idea! Thanks for sharing!

But IMHO you're going to want to tie that hose to your tie rod. The turning of the wheel is going to be putting a lot of stress on the spindle duct. You want the hose to move with the spindle.

Thanks everyone for the complements .

Bruce I wondered about that. So you think I should not have wire-tied the hose to the swaybar but to the tie rod instead ?

George....

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

91svtbird

Established Member
FYI........ Compared to the factory ducts and KR type bezel (approx 2" opening) these have as much as 72% more cross sectional area with the 2-5/8" opening .

Last edited:

2003 Silver

Banned
That looks great...irregardless of the performance benefit...it really improves the look IMO. You need to make me a set.....:banana:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
George:

I must say those REALLY look Great!!!!! :bowdown:

There is No Doubt, that's a project I think I will do on my car in the not too distant future. But I'm going to go with a 4" inlet and then I can put my fog lights back in. I hope the larger diameters don't look too funny? If they do, I guess all I'd have to do is buy a new lower grille and go back to my old set-up. :read:

That is a sweet looking mod! :rockon:

See you at the track!!!! :-D

91svtbird

Established Member
George:

I must say those REALLY look Great!!!!! :bowdown:

There is No Doubt, that's a project I think I will do on my car in the not too distant future. But I'm going to go with a 4" inlet and then I can put my fog lights back in. I hope the larger diameters don't look too funny? If they do, I guess all I'd have to do is buy a new lower grille and go back to my old set-up. :read:

That is a sweet looking mod! :rockon:

See you at the track!!!! :-D

Thanks Bruce , but I don't think you will have enough room for a 4" duct especially on the passenger side because of the AC lines and the radiator core being close. Certainly not a 4" hose....too much in the way for routing IMO.

Perhaps a 4" opening with a minimal sized flange reduced to a 3" duct might work fine.

Users who are viewing this thread