N/a 99 Cobra track visit

Lightning&Mach1

Established Member
I made a lengthy post in the 99-01 cobra forum. He it is...
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1091668-99-Cobra-Track-Times

I figured I'd keep this one short and post my only pass I got to make yesterday off the trailer.

60ft.......1.569
1/8.......7.456
MPH......91.13
1/4.......11.759
MPH......114.22

Next pass I got a little or a lot more aggressive on the launch and broke a halfshaft. I guess I should have just been happy with a 1.56 60ft. with a no suspension built IRS car.

I'll have a video to post shortly.

[youtube_browser]dLSw7o2nXEA[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

C.Hicks26

SVT-888
Established Member
Awesome man way to get it done. I watched some of your videos on youtube of the Mach 1. With the stock motor you went 11.05 @ 124mph and thats awesome as well. My car is basically the same setup as that car was except its a convertible and i had 4.30's. The setup was Comp 106100 cams, ported stock length intake, full exhaust with midlength headers, procharger on 6lbs. On the drag setup with Hoosier drag radials I managed to go a best of 11.03 @ 126mph. Car did well for a Convertible

Lightning&Mach1

Established Member
Awesome man way to get it done. I watched some of your videos on youtube of the Mach 1. With the stock motor you went 11.05 @ 124mph and thats awesome as well. My car is basically the same setup as that car was except its a convertible and i had 4.30's. The setup was Comp 106100 cams, ported stock length intake, full exhaust with midlength headers, procharger on 6lbs. On the drag setup with Hoosier drag radials I managed to go a best of 11.03 @ 126mph. Car did well for a Convertible

Yeah our Mach 1 with that setup was super fun at the track also.

I've always kept tabs on your car. Awesome times your getting out of it and with just 6 psi. You still going to chase 10's with you setup as is? Or stock motor at least?

And Thanks guys, I'm going back to the track this weekend. I've got a few more N/a mods, suspension mods, and weight reduction I'd like to do. Then I might be putting a v2 on the setup on low boost.

C.Hicks26

SVT-888
Established Member
Yeah our Mach 1 with that setup was super fun at the track also.

I've always kept tabs on your car. Awesome times your getting out of it and with just 6 psi. You still going to chase 10's with you setup as is? Or stock motor at least?

And Thanks guys, I'm going back to the track this weekend. I've got a few more N/a mods, suspension mods, and weight reduction I'd like to do. Then I might be putting a v2 on the setup on low boost.

Thanks brotha. I would love to chase that number and i had it in my grasp but i let it slip away. Im about to have a compression test done next week to see whats going on with the motor since im getting smoke from the valve covers and a good bit of blow by. If it checks out ok and has good compression still i may try it out again to see if 10's is doable on the stock motor. Only bad thing is i would need to find another drag setup to go on the car because i sold mine for a shortblock lol... Keep up the good work brotha. I want that Drag pack bad. I'll be keeping up with your build buddy.

When i was N/a i managed to go 12.2 @ 112-113mph with the cams. I was having an injector issue that was killing my low end. I was aiming at 11's N/a so i was about to change the setup up slightly to maximize the setup. I was gonna swap to longtubes from the midlengths, 4.56 gear, and ported short runner intake but then said eff it and made my mind up to boost it and go as close to 10's as possible on the stock motor. Lot of people doubted it and were very surprised. I went from 11.7, then 11.5, 11.3, then 11.0 and it had me very happy and pleased with it

Last edited:

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
That car got off the line really well. And on radials, I take it? I ran a similar time, but my car has spray, Hoosier QTPs, and only 60's high 1.6s.

What is your suspension setup?

Lightning&Mach1

Established Member
That car got off the line really well. And on radials, I take it? I ran a similar time, but my car has spray, Hoosier QTPs, and only 60's high 1.6s.

What is your suspension setup?

Nothing but bias ply for IRS cars at the track. I run a 26/11.5 M&H cheater slicks.

As for suspension there isn't much to it. Kenny Brown lower springs(I think), 03 Cobra shocks and struts(that should be worn out by now), and IRS is built up where I thought I wouldn't have a chance to break a halfshaft at this power level.

I was still super surprised I broke a halfshaft.

This winter I'm going to put suspension mods to it and the last of the N/a mods I have left to do(outside the longblock).

Lightning&Mach1

Established Member
So I've done mostly all the changes I wanted to and ready to go back to the track to see the improvements.

I did more weight reduction. Still and always will be an IRS car. I haven't weighed it, but the goal was 3300lbs race weight(with me in it). A/C delete, since I was done fooling myself.... I never use it lol and it only will make taking that passenger longtube off when I need to drop the trans. Took front swaybar off and also put a chrome moly front bumper on.

Suspension wise changes are QA1 double adjustable shocks in rear and QA1 coil-over double adjustable struts in front with a 14-175 spring.

Only power mod is a electric water pump. After some track times with the way it sits, I have a fr500 short runner intake to try out in the future.

I'm ready to get back to the track and break some halfshafts lmao

C.Hicks26

SVT-888
Established Member
So I've done mostly all the changes I wanted to and ready to go back to the track to see the improvements.

I did more weight reduction. Still and always will be an IRS car. I haven't weighed it, but the goal was 3300lbs race weight(with me in it). A/C delete, since I was done fooling myself.... I never use it lol and it only will make taking that passenger longtube off when I need to drop the trans. Took front swaybar off and also put a chrome moly front bumper on.

Suspension wise changes are QA1 double adjustable shocks in rear and QA1 coil-over double adjustable struts in front with a 14-175 spring.

Only power mod is a electric water pump. After some track times with the way it sits, I have a fr500 short runner intake to try out in the future.

I'm ready to get back to the track and break some halfshafts lmao

Good luck bud. Ready to see some results. I still want those CCW's man lol

Users who are viewing this thread