Narrow rear question??

termcobra281

Established Member
Hey everyone, I have a 2003 cobra with sra 99-04 rear end. I am looking at narrowing the rear on it to fit some meats under it. Question is has anyone narrow the rear to fit more tire? If so how much is it narrowed and whats your backspacing and how wide? I really am not into mini tubbing or anything like that considering its a true 2003 cobra. Any info to help me figure out where I need to be would be greatly appreciated, and any pictures is appreciated also.

FIREBALL

Established Member
You would have to probably convert to a straight (non irs) rear axle and then you would probably have to (with much modification) tub it as there is not much room back there. Maybe someone can/will correct me on this.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
You would have to probably convert to a straight (non irs) rear axle and then you would probably have to (with much modification) tub it as there is not much room back there. Maybe someone can/will correct me on this.
He says he has an SRA in his post.

OP, how wide are you looking to go. I saw a few cars tucking 325's as a show back in April that still had the IRS. I think if you want to go much wider you're going to have to tub it. Which you mention you don't want to do.

An easier route might be tracking down a 96-98 rear end. They're narrower than the 99-04. I don't remember how much, but I do remember noticing a difference when we threw one under my son's 99 GT.

termcobra281

Established Member
He says he has an SRA in his post.

OP, how wide are you looking to go. I saw a few cars tucking 325's as a show back in April that still had the IRS. I think if you want to go much wider you're going to have to tub it. Which you mention you don't want to do.

An easier route might be tracking down a 96-98 rear end. They're narrower than the 99-04. I don't remember how much, but I do remember noticing a difference when we threw one under my son's 99 GT.
I honestly don't mind staying 10 inch wide. I am mostly after a different backspacing to help the looks of the wheel. I don't care much for the normal 15x10 6.5 backspace look. I want more dish on the wheel. I have had ccw 17x11 with 325/50/17s on the rear before, with rolling the fenders it done good. I was hoping I could take around 2" off each side of the axle or run maybe a foxbody rear end. Not sure what the best set up would be....

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
You would have to probably convert to a straight (non irs) rear axle

Jokes Watching Tv GIF by Gogglebox Australia

MG0h3

Established Member
The wheel well is the issue. You’ll run out of room there before needing to narrow.

Pretty sure you can run the widest tire possible on a 10” rim and be ok

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

termcobra281

Established Member
Cutting a couple inches off the axles should let me be around a 5 inch backspacing, correct?

Users who are viewing this thread