NASA March 28-29 @ VIR

RedTwilight

Shinigami Akakage
Established Member
Thanks...I feel like a dumbass.

I'm actually not going to be driving. I'm planning on doing an event later in the year...when my wallet can handle it.

Well I guess I'm going to go anyways. See ya there.

You could always do the parade laps for like $15 on Sunday! That's what I plan on doing. I can't afford a DE or even things required (like a helmet, but I could rent one) right now to be able to do the DE's.

I did the charity laps last year and it was raining and wet. Even though we were behind the pace car it was still a little slick. But it was really fun!:rockon::burnout: I'm hoping it'll be dry then though to really see how much more fun in the dry it'll be.:burnout:

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I've run VIR in the rain... and it sucked a big one. Like driving my 91 Mustang GT in Chicago winters.

Over the winter, they diamond ground all the turns. Then came back and sprayed down a sealer. All turns now have more traction than they ever had in the past.

HOWEVER, in the rain, you guys with decent horsepower cars need to be careful. Although the turns have "new found" traction, the straights DO NOT. What has been happening is you have good traction on braking and through turn in, and good traction through acceleration and track out. About the time you completely unwind the wheel, you hit the old pavement and the back end kicks out from under you.

Be mindful of this!!!!!

-Kevin

BlueMach1

Stang Family
Established Member
You could always do the parade laps for like $15 on Sunday! That's what I plan on doing. I can't afford a DE or even things required (like a helmet, but I could rent one) right now to be able to do the DE's.

I did the charity laps last year and it was raining and wet. Even though we were behind the pace car it was still a little slick. But it was really fun!:rockon::burnout: I'm hoping it'll be dry then though to really see how much more fun in the dry it'll be.:burnout:

The problem is my car is in Raleigh in the shop. (TKO 600 trans problems) I can't bring my cobra b/c i have to bring the animals (i'm staying in Greensboro with the parents)...maybe my father will let me bring out the garage queen...his mach for the parade laps...lol. We'll see.:rockon:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Dave, anything is better than racing bikes at Danville in a hurricain (remember '74?). I'll take a car over a bike and wet leathers anytime. :D

Of course, since my car's a convertible and NASA runs top down, there's not a whole lot of difference. I go out in everything but heavy downpours. My full tread Toyo RA's work OK. Sorta.

wheelhopper

Established Member
We got crappy weather last year. I am sorta hoping for a nice weather payback this year. Sunday looks good. Depending on where you find the forecast, even Saturday has some potential.

As far as driving in the rain. If it is a mist I'll give it a go. Any more than that and my 500rwhp likes to shoot the ass end around whenever possible. I don't think rain tires will make a difference for that.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
The problem is my car is in Raleigh in the shop. (TKO 600 trans problems) I can't bring my cobra b/c i have to bring the animals (i'm staying in Greensboro with the parents)...maybe my father will let me bring out the garage queen...his mach for the parade laps...lol. We'll see.:rockon:

I think I was looking at your tko and its problems yesterday. Its new and has sucked from the start, yes? Kyle says don't do if you are thinking about a TKO600. Do I have the right TKO 600?

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
We got crappy weather last year. I am sorta hoping for a nice weather payback this year. Sunday looks good. Depending on where you find the forecast, even Saturday has some potential.

As far as driving in the rain. If it is a mist I'll give it a go. Any more than that and my 500rwhp likes to shoot the ass end around whenever possible. I don't think rain tires will make a difference for that.

You see, this is why I like racing. In American Iron I am not allowed anymore than about 350rwhp. Less is more as they say.

BlueMach1

Stang Family
Established Member
I think I was looking at your tko and its problems yesterday. Its new and has sucked from the start, yes? Kyle says don't do if you are thinking about a TKO600. Do I have the right TKO 600?

Yes...that is my TKO600. Talked with Eric today and Tremec is sending me a brand new one. Supposedly mine is over two years old and is one of the old models with all the problems. Just glad its going to be fixed so I can start having some fun with the car. Like taking it to VIR and doing some HPDE's.:rockon:

I'm sure me and you will meet soon. Probably Saturday.

David Hester

Established Member
LOL
Yeah, Rob. I can't believe you went out in the rain. :eek:
I figured even with Jeff and Pam qualifying in the rain, I still wouldn't be that far behind them for the race, and I still got past Gary.
I want most if not all of the tube frame cars in front of me at the start of any race. I've been nudged at the start of several races by a faster car that didn't qualify well.
See you at Roebling next month? Not doing Kershaw BTW, my mother was in the hospital this week and just got home.
And Greg. When I did AMA enduros, rain was a nuisance. ICE forming on my mustache and beard was a beech. ;^)

Last edited:

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
Actually I went out and qualified for the ECR enduro. They had 60 cars. Starting all the way in the back there would have been crazy. But remember we found that the locker was broken and didnt race afterall.

Good Luck at CMP. Are you going to be at Roebling in April?

BlackStripes

Established Member
sooo?? no reports? :)

I checked mylaps.com and my buddies got destroyed by Danny Popp... well... usually everybody does :) ... damn guy run under 2:00 in ST2 form!! W..T..F..

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Still unpacking, Hector. I have about 2 tons of wet sand amd mud to get through before I can get to my gear. I went air-boating sideways out of T2 Sunday morning, and now have a brown car....inside and out! Wet and wild! :nonono:
Good to meet you, Rob. :beer:

David Hester

Established Member
A little dirt and mud. Wuss. ;^)
Could have been worse.

http://www.virhistory.com/vir/56-cons/index.htm

The trick for that is to go off at T1 the next lap and the Dan River will wash off all the gunk.
I messed up a shift going into T1..actually went off between the last 2 braking markers.. several years and it seemed like I slid FOREVER. Trees. River. Trees. River. Hard choice. :??:
There is a picture on the internet somewhere of a car off in the water at 1 after the Dan River flooded a few years back.

Last edited:

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
here are some pics from VIR. FUN.

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Greg,

You went off in T2 and didn't hit the wall? Which side? Driver's left or right?

-Kevin

Spun sideways to the inside between 2 and the kink for T3, sliding sideways through the mud and grass like at a NASCAR race,
tucked in and hoping there were no ditches coming up. :eek:

I think I might have even been laughing a bit. :dw:

I couldn't stop laughing at the car after I gt back in the pits. The video of it doesn't do it justice.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LR-yYCQCFc&feature=channel_page]YouTube - Mud Car[/ame]

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
A little dirt and mud. Wuss. ;^)
Could have been worse.

VIR - 1956-57 Construction

The trick for that is to go off at T1 the next lap and the Dan River will wash off all the gunk.
I messed up a shift going into T1..actually went off between the last 2 braking markers.. several years and it seemed like I slid FOREVER. Trees. River. Trees. River. Hard choice. :??:
There is a picture on the internet somewhere of a car off in the water at 1 after the Dan River flooded a few years back.

Sliding forever is right. My biggest regret (maybe second biggest after applying a bit too much throttle) is that I forgot to hit record on the camera before leaving the pits. :mj: I would have loved a record of how long that slid was.
Anybody know roughly what speed you're doing coming out of T2? And I now know that feeling of "speeding up when you hit the grass!", even though its really just not slowing down as fast.

Nice pics Rob. I can appreciate them better now in my warm, dry home. :D

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
Nice meeting some of you this weekend. It was fun. Any of you notice me tippy toeing around the race track during the Sunday Thunder Race? I sat out the Saturday festivities trying to avoid the brown car syndrome and keep it nice and white.

Sunday for a variety of reasons I chose not to try the required R888's and kept my trusty BFG R1's on the car for the race. As a result I promised the powers that be that I just wanted the laps and promised not to pass anyone. Its hard.

Users who are viewing this thread