Navy Federal?

jliddle

Established Member
I was looking into service oriented banks/credit unions as well as insurance, just to arm myself with some knowledge before I'm eligible to join.

Does anyone use Navy Federal for banking? How about vehicle insurance?

I've also considered USAA for vehicle insurance as well.

All opinions welcome! Thanks.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
USAA all the way! I've been with them and couldnt be happier.

Also, the more services you use from them the more discounts you get on insurance.

Steve@CJPP

I use USAA for my insurance even to this day after being out for 3 years, I used Navy Fed when I was in the whole time they are good with nice rates as well, can't go wrong with either option.

Nosdog2

Hi my name is...
Established Member
USAA is the way to go. They offer way to many other services and perks vs. Navy Fed.

speedsun

Established Member
USAA can **** themselves. Progressive cut my rate in half with more coverage and a smaller deductible. You know what USAA response was to that? "I don't believe you are getting the same coverage" They then proceeded to try and sell me on some life insurance. Im like seriously? I guess they forget about the $400k I would get. But seriously try progressive for insurance quotes. I had 2 other military friends get quoted for way less and they switched.

But as far as Navy Fed. ****ing awesome people to work with for vehicle loans. Financed my Cobra for 6 years with 5% interest about 5 months ago.

Last edited:

Svt-Rich

V
Established Member
Both great banks. For insurance though i would go through USAA. I think Navy Federal uses Geico its not really through NF.

Fuerza

Established Member
USAA can **** themselves. Progressive cut my rate in half with more coverage and a smaller deductible. You know what USAA response was to that? "I don't believe you are getting the same coverage" They then proceeded to try and sell me on some life insurance. Im like seriously? I guess they forget about the $400k I would get. But seriously try progressive for insurance quotes. I had 2 other military friends get quoted for way less and they switched.

But as far as Navy Fed. ****ing awesome people to work with for vehicle loans. Financed my Cobra for 6 years with 5% interest about 5 months ago.

Really? I've been with USAA for almost 10 years. There is something to be said about building a solid relationship with your bank, I generally don't shop around much for insurance or loan rates. I call USAA and they cut me a check, too easy and very fast. I can set up auto payment and watch it happen without logging onto 3 different websites to make sure people get paid on the right dates and time. USAA for me is more about convience and knowing when there is a problem I can pick up the phone and get help with little to no flack from some supervisor or being transfered around. I'll pay a little more money on my insurance or loan rate knowing the above information.

As far as life insurance, if you have a family to support $400k isn't going to cut it. USAA life insurance has a clause to where if your INJURIED in in the line of duty you recieve a check to supplement expenses. That amount is $25K, imagine if you end up in Walter Reed or Hosptials in German ect, and your family has to come to your bedside for your recover.

mustanginsin

Loyal To None
Established Member
I have Navy Fed for banking and USAA for everything else. I hear great things from USAA's banking sector. You couldn't go wrong either way. Both are very good to their members.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member

Gotta say, I had the exact opposite experience.

Progressive has always quoted me absurd prices on insurance. I'll call and get quotes and as soon as they ask who I have and hear "USAA" they dont even try and beat their price. USAA has always offered me other services, but never pushed them. When I did decide to purchase more they walked me through the entire process outlining the costs and savings from running multiple services.

As for Navy Fed, I tried them once. I opened an account, changed my direct deposit and then applied for a car loan to purchase my Cobra. They used a chart, seen I was an E3 and said "NO". No questions asked, no looking at my debt or bills. So I closed my account, and changed my direct deposit back to my home-town bank before a cent even went through my Navy Fed account. Called my bank up and they wrote a check for my Cobra no problems. USAA has done the same on 2 other vehicles since I joined them.

USAA FTW.

speedsun

Established Member
I was unhappy with their insurance pricing. They helped me out as far as my first car loan with them but Navy Fed did way better. Its sad tho my premium went from 180 to 90 a month switching to progressive to cover a rsx and a foxbody. I now pay $100 a month for the 03 Cobra and a small toyota truck. I also like the fact that i can locally go to navy fed but thats just me.

only a gt

Established Member
I bank with Navy Fed and everything else with USAA, and USAA FTMFW. Hands down the best customer service of any company I have ever dealt with. NF is good too, good enough that I don't want to be bothered with switching my banking to USAA as well, although I believe they do have a slight edge.

Only time I've been dissapointed with USAA is when they denied me a loan for my current cobra after giving me one for my previous cobra. This was about a year and a half after I got out, and they wanted two years of uninterrupted employment history, which obviously wasn't possible. Ended up going through my local credit union, oh well their loss

04SloSnake

Its just an Eaton
Established Member
I will never do any business with USAA. I was rear ended by one of their drivers 5 minutes after buying my Cobra and it took them over 4 months to get them to admit fault and get my car fixed. I was getting ready to go TAD and decided to go through one of their shops to get it fixed and it was the worst product I have ever seen (I'll probably have to get the rear bumper replaced again soon). When their assessor came to my house he quoted half the amount to fix, which led to the car being in the shop longer. Since their assessor said it would only take 4 days to fix they would only pay for a rental for 4 days even though the car was in the shop for 10. The way I was treated by them, especially after they found out I was military and had Geico, I will never have anything to do with them or give them one cent of my money.

Users who are viewing this thread