• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Need 03 Cobra alternator wiring diagram!

Discussion in 'Engine/Tuning' started by Roush97, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Roush97

Roush97 New Member Established Member

Just like the title says guys. I have the diagram for 03 GT and Mach 1 but there is nothing on it for the 4V and the wire colors are different for the GT and the cobra so if anyone has a diagram or knows which wire goes where in the ECU I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

2. YoungJim

YoungJim New Member Established Member

Its like this:

Connector C102A carries a light green/red wire, voltage on it (it originates at one of the connectors on the instrument panel) activates the alternator. The yellow/white wire on C102B provides the current to operate the field coil in the alternator; the large black/orange wire, obviously, supplies power to the battery. Jim.

3. Roush97

Ya I know about that; the only problem is that the wires coming out of the alternator on the 03 harness are brown with white trace, red with pink trace, and light green with red trace! So I figured that the cobra used different colors than the other cars but I don't know which wire does what on the cobra. I am trying to use the 03 alternator with my GT harness which has the lg and red, and the yellow and white. This is why I need the 03 Cobra diagram. Thanks.

4. 99riocobra

99riocobra i like ice cream Established Member

i am interested in this as well. i am putting the eaton on my 99, so i am obviously putting the 03/04 alternator on too. i need to find which wires do what on the 99's so i know which ones to connect, unless someone already knows.....:-D

5. Roush97

ttt

6. YoungJim

This is on your 97?

7. Roush97

Yes. I have a 97 harness but I am using the 03 alternator and the 03 connector which has 3 wires. They both have a light green with red wire but the other wires from the cobra harness are brown with white and red with pink. I have connected the green with red wires but I don't know which of the wires from the cobra harness does the same thing as the yellow with white on the GT harness. Another thing is that I tried connecting the cobra wires one at a time with the GT yellow with white but neither one will cause the alternator to charge. Because the alternator is internally regulated, does it have to be connected to the harness to charge? This is a brand new alternator from Ford and it isn't charging. I thought that maybe if I got the wiring correct it would charge but if it should charge unplugged then I have a bigger problem to figure out. :??:

8. Roush97

97altdiagram.gif

This is the 97 diagram Jim.

9. YoungJim

It should work like this:

The light green/red wire from your instrument cluster should be connected to pin 1 of the grey connector. With the locking tab up, that's the one on the left, with the light green/red wire. That tells the alternator to turn on.

The yellow/white wire connects to pin 3 of the grey connector, the yellow/white wire. This line provides the current to power the field coil.

With that and the engine running you should be getting output current. Let me know how it goes. Jim.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2006
  10. Roush97

So the light green/red from the alternator should connect to the light green/red on the 97. And you said with the locking tab up, but is this looking at the pins (the front of the connector) or looking at the wires (the back of the connector). I only ask because some diagrams use both for some reason.

If I understand correctly it should look like this:

connectordia.gif

11. YoungJim

Correct. It would possibly work the other way around, but the field coil would probably draw too much current from your instrument cluster and blow fuses. Jim.

12. Roush97

Thanks Jim, I'll try this and see if it works. Hopefully the alternator isn't bad.

13. Roush97

I finally got the alternator hooked up like you said Jim, I now have 14+ volts at idle thanks a lot for your help.

14. YoungJim

Happy to :beer: I'm glad to hear it works.