Need a Better Sound for 2001 GT

Fritchard

Established Member
So I just bought a 2001 Mustang GT. It has a throttle body, cold air intake, and K and N filter. Other than that it is stock. I was wondering what I could do to make it sound better with out dumping my wallet, so to speak. I don't want something so loud that I can't hold a decent conversation, but I want to turn heads and make people say "Yup, that's the mustang." Definitely want people to hear it and know I am coming. I am a little tight on cash so I don't want to spend to much. Also any sound clips would be great! Thanks!

Scud2

Established Member
American thunder flowmaster 40's cat back. I have an 01 GT with that and o/r H Pipe and it's awesome. Without the o/r H it will tone it down to an agressive but not obnoxious. Honestly I think borla is best but not to break the bank this is the way to go. SLP is too raspy. My opinion. Good luck and keep us updated!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Fritchard

Established Member
American thunder flowmaster 40's cat back. I have an 01 GT with that and o/r H Pipe and it's awesome. Without the o/r H it will tone it down to an agressive but not obnoxious. Honestly I think borla is best but not to break the bank this is the way to go. SLP is too raspy. My opinion. Good luck and keep us updated!

It seems like every other New edge has Flowmaster 40s. I am sure for a good reason. I would like something different than the norm. Also what is better, H pipe or X pipe? And would it be better to get cat backs or the h pipe first?

Last edited:

Scud2

Established Member
Yeah. When I bought mine it had the square body mufflers and I did not go full off road. It was raspy so I added hollow cats. Kind of another "chamber" and it's insanely loud with absolutely no rasp. Sounds a little different than the norm. But I can't find any more of the square body 40's...

Scud2

Established Member
It seems like every other New edge has Flowmaster 40s. I am sure for a good reason. I would like something different than the norm. Also what is better, H pipe or X pipe? And would it be better to get cat backs or the h pipe first?
If you want sound go for the mufflers. If you want the added power go mid pipe. I have heard h gives you deeper tine while x gives you a little better flow. You can always try to find one used on craigslist. Also my opinion but the flowmaster are popular for a reason...good sound for a good budget!

Last edited:

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
HP difference between H and X pipes is negligible. At most 1-2 HP on a dyno, and its well within the range of just variations in dyno pulls.

H-pipes have more of your classic deep muscle car sound, while x-pipes are more raspy. IMHO, the mac prochamber o/r h-pipes sound the best. I also have flowmaster mufflers. There is a little bit of drone on the freeway.

Fritchard

Established Member
HP difference between H and X pipes is negligible. At most 1-2 HP on a dyno, and its well within the range of just variations in dyno pulls.

H-pipes have more of your classic deep muscle car sound, while x-pipes are more raspy. IMHO, the mac prochamber o/r h-pipes sound the best. I also have flowmaster mufflers. There is a little bit of drone on the freeway.

I will probably go with h pipes first and then get mufflers later. And if anything i can do some work to eliminate the drone. What is the difference between h-pipes from different companies? Would i be losing anything by just picking the cheaper o/r h-pipe?

confused

Closet Mopar guy
Established Member
I have an 01 GT automatic car that is bone stock.My wife drives it so quiet is preferred to keep her happy.I am going to do some performance mods but loud mufflers are out for me.I am going to keep the stock catback.I have ordered the Magnaflow mid pipe x crossover with converters and am going to try that first.
I am looking for "quiet" power.Under drive pullies,intake plenum(only)and a modified factory airbox with K&N is where I will start.Or the S&B cold air intake if I butcher or don't like how the factory air box mod comes out.

For a budget sound the summit brand stainless straight through mufflers sound good on my LT1 Impala SS.Keep the stock 2.25 piping on mufflers and tail pipes and it won't be as obnoxious if you go loud.

Fritchard

Established Member

Also, did you need o2 extensions or not? I heard that only 03 and 04s need them. I have an 01 so I don't know if I need to spend the extra money.

Scud2

Established Member
Also, did you need o2 extensions or not? I heard that only 03 and 04s need them. I have an 01 so I don't know if I need to spend the extra money.
Well you always have the option of just tuning out the O2's or MIL eliminators. I had high flow cats that did not pass our e check here in ohio. So I yanked the cats off and hollowed them out. Put them back on and tuned my O2's out. After I installed my supercharger...Took out one O2 sensor and put the wideband right in the same bung. The guys at lube stop go under my car for the e check and don't know the difference.

2001 Mustang GT
Vortech V3 Supercharged
402 HP 389 Torque

Scud2

Established Member
I have an 01 GT automatic car that is bone stock.My wife drives it so quiet is preferred to keep her happy.I am going to do some performance mods but loud mufflers are out for me.I am going to keep the stock catback.I have ordered the Magnaflow mid pipe x crossover with converters and am going to try that first.
I am looking for "quiet" power.Under drive pullies,intake plenum(only)and a modified factory airbox with K&N is where I will start.Or the S&B cold air intake if I butcher or don't like how the factory air box mod comes out.

For a budget sound the summit brand stainless straight through mufflers sound good on my LT1 Impala SS.Keep the stock 2.25 piping on mufflers and tail pipes and it won't be as obnoxious if you go loud.
Good call! My uncle picked up a 2002 auto GT with full magnaflow exhaust. Shorty headers, x with high flows, and don't know the mufflers specifically. When he comes over you can heat him from a couple houses away...but not at the end of the street!

2001 Mustang GT
Vortech V3 Supercharged
402 HP 389 Torque

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
I had headers, xpipe and magnapacks on a 01 which sounded decent. It was loud but the sound left a lot to be desired. Almost like the exhaust was too free flowing if that makes any sense. Once I added cams, it was a whole new sound and I received compliments everywhere I went.

Fritchard

Established Member
I had headers, xpipe and magnapacks on a 01 which sounded decent. It was loud but the sound left a lot to be desired. Almost like the exhaust was too free flowing if that makes any sense. Once I added cams, it was a whole new sound and I received compliments everywhere I went.

makes sense. Right now I can only go with one modification. I am either getting prochambers or Borla Stingers. Probably Borlas because I am really worried about my car smelling like crap if I go O/R H pipes.

Fritchard

Established Member
Well you always have the option of just tuning out the O2's or MIL eliminators. I had high flow cats that did not pass our e check here in ohio. So I yanked the cats off and hollowed them out. Put them back on and tuned my O2's out. After I installed my supercharger...Took out one O2 sensor and put the wideband right in the same bung. The guys at lube stop go under my car for the e check and don't know the difference.

2001 Mustang GT
Vortech V3 Supercharged
402 HP 389 Torque

I just looked into it, and turns out I don't have to have e checks here, fortunately. But I also heard that O/R pipes have a horrible smell. What is your experience with this? Is the sound worth having the smell? I could just got with Borla Stingers for now and be safe.

Scud2

Established Member
I just looked into it, and turns out I don't have to have e checks here, fortunately. But I also heard that O/R pipes have a horrible smell. What is your experience with this? Is the sound worth having the smell? I could just got with Borla Stingers for now and be safe.
Borla is a great exhaust. Loud and perfect tone. O/R in my case smells a little like a classic car. Other than that no problems. I really smell it just a little and never got a comment on it. It all completely depends on your goals really.

2001 Mustang GT
Vortech V3 Supercharged
402 HP 389 Torque

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member

You can turn off your O2 sensors or get mil eliminators. Mine get turned off with my handheld tuner when I have my prochamber on.

There is a slight smell, but isn't horrible. There can be a smell with the aftermarket exhaust, which is mostly only noticeable when stopped.

Scud2

Established Member
Will I wake up the neighbors in the morning? Not to worried about it just wondering.
Well that there is the problem. You will be loud on start up but you will be able to leave by driving slow without going crazy. So they can't really complain. Just don't get on it too much. When I leave in the morning I shake the house a bit. Since we had our baby 8 months ago I have perfected pushing the car out of the garage and letting it roll down the driveway. Start it once I hit the street and my wife complains less. Either push it or get new mufflers. I chose to push it.

2001 Mustang GT
Vortech V3 Supercharged
402 HP 389 Torque

Fritchard

Established Member
Well that there is the problem. You will be loud on start up but you will be able to leave by driving slow without going crazy. So they can't really complain. Just don't get on it too much. When I leave in the morning I shake the house a bit. Since we had our baby 8 months ago I have perfected pushing the car out of the garage and letting it roll down the driveway. Start it once I hit the street and my wife complains less. Either push it or get new mufflers. I chose to push it.

2001 Mustang GT
Vortech V3 Supercharged
402 HP 389 Torque

Haha! I am in the process of learning stick as well. So I rev a lot before I hit the engagement point on the clutch. That might be loud.

Users who are viewing this thread