Need a cheap truck, found a F250?

JCDriller

Established Member
We’re moving and I’d really like a cheap truck to use around the house. I have a 4R, wife’s Navigator and several mustangs so this really is a Home Depot, dump, help a friend move type of truck.

I found a 2003 F-250, super cab short bed with 5.4. 2 owners, 45k on the clock for $13,000.

Seems like a great deal, any reason I shouldn’t buy? Obviously the 5.4 isn’t the most desirable, but it seems adequate.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Exhaust manifolds and bolts are a big issue with these trucks. No power is something you learn to live with, but the leaky exhaust is a problem.

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
I have the same truck 2wd, 212k on it. Nary a touch of rust, been a Florida truck it's whole life. Alternator at 160ish and intake manifold at 200ish. I put some guys y-pipe adapter, smooths out the flow mo better than the factory t-pipe. I've never had the exhaust leak issues. Take the driveshaft off, drill and tap the front slider spline section for a zerk fitting.
I wouldn't hesitate to take it across country tomorrow.
Put 4:10s in it if you're just driving around town, that'll help with the lack of power.

You'll find details and more on the FTE forum.

BTW I got it for $7k back in '12, but I know a wholesaler.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sounds like that is more than a fair deal since it only has 45K miles on it. You might want to check out the exhaust to see if it's leaking.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
If its not rusted out, that seems like a very fair price

This, especially if it's a 4WD. That old 5.4 2V is a tough motor, but low on power in a 3/4 ton. If it's an auto you gotta keep the 4R100 cool in order to get the most life out of it. If it's a manual, it will run until the body rusts off of it.

Users who are viewing this thread