• yes

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • no

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cody_288

Established Member
Does your LS1 leak oil? This is for an arguement on another mustang board.(dumb I know.... but work with me)

cody_288

Established Member
And I'd also like to know if my information in this thread is correct. Check page 5 for my first post. Read till the end to read all my posts.

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
No my LS1 doesn't appear to leak oil, however its just an engine and during the course of an engines life most (Ls1 and ALL others) will leak a bit of oil.

Often around the rocker covers, or the main engine seal.

The rears are known to leak often.

The biggest thing with LS1's and oil, is they burn it. But it's not really that bad and doesn't affect all of them. This is due to the stock PCV setup and it blows oil vapour from the crankcase back into the TB via the breather. This can be solved in a fashion, but it doesn't affect performance or durability.

I guess someone would only throw such a comment in because they are a twat and really have nothing else to say.

Why can't people be car enthusiasts, instead of arrogant badge kissing dicks??

The Ls1 is a remarkable engine, lightweight, powerful, fuel efficent and offers good tunabillity. It is probably one of the best OHV engines yet produced.

Ultimatley a DOHC has the potential to outperform it. Sadly Ford seemed to have lost focus when they produced the modular engines. They certainly aren't bad, but they could have been so much more.

Proof of DOHC ability is the Terminator, if swapped to turbo's and bolt ons it will produce very similar if not slight better numbers than a turbo Ls1 of 346ci.

Better specific output.

However the LS1 is able to pull the joker as it's very easy to increase the displacement 402, 408 and 427ci are all very easy to achieve and with boost will be able to ultimatley produce more than any 4.6 or even 5.4 DOHC mod motor can.

Maybe Ford will realise and use they V12 (used by Aston Martin) to create a new line of V8's as they would be superior to the mod motors and the LSx range.

As for speed, well stock for stock an Fbody's is faster than all but the Terminator and GT500 Mustangs.

Fbody's have 320-350bhp STOCK (ignore GM quoted figures as they are incorrect). This means a well driven M6 Fbody is capable of 12.8 @ 110mph although most people only achieve low 13's and 106-107mph.

The auto cars are a bit odd ball as there's two different final drive ratios. The 3.23 geared cars have been as quick as 13.2 @ 106mph but mid 13's @ 104mph is more common.

The 2.73 geared auto is more popular than the 3.23 geared cars, as this was the standard gear. 3.23 was a cost option (standard on SS/WS6). 2.73 cars are the slowest in the 1/4 with mid 13's @ 102-103mph as the best, but again most people will see 13.6-13.7 @ 101-102mph out of them.

Most often it's the 2.73 geared cars which are beaten by stock(ish) Mustangs.

A s197 is a mid to high 13's car. Although many struggle to break 14's (I think this is partly due to the PCM). 13.7 @ 99-101mph is a common figure. So you can see a 2.73 geared LS1 is a good match, but it is advantage Ls1.

The s197 can be made to move, I have a JMS vid of one running 12.4 @107mph with CAI, tune, 4.30 gears and ET Streets. But most of that ET is down to the 60' which is due to gears and tyres. Also note the trap speed is still slower than most STOCK M6 Ls1's, so in a roll race the s197 would probably still have lost.

Terminators ARE faster than Ls1's stock for stock. But pretty much anyone on this site can tell you that.

If the Ls1 really had any major vices it would not have been in production since 1997 thru 2004. Also the current LS2 and LS7 engines are essentially the same beast underneith. They are all the same generation of engine.

To dislike the LS1 because it's a Chevy V8's just means they are a waste of space and not a car enthusiast at all.

03_SVT_Freak

Stirring the pot :D
Established Member
:werd: to above. i am a die hard ford fan. just my preference. but i own a trans am also. the LSX series motors are one of the best out there

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
cody_288 said:
I'm a diehard ford man as well andall I wanted to do was state facts and i got shit for it.
I find that a lot on these types of forums. Sadly too many people take it personally when 'x' car beats 'y' car.

I just think its silly to hate on a car just because of the badge. I mean I like Fords - not all of them, becuase many are crap. But the Mustang is awesome. Same goes for GM they truly have produced some of the worlds most dull cars ever. But the Fbody/Vette/Monaro (aka GTO) are all really good regardless of personal bias.

It goes the other way too, GM guys claim the Stang is useless and the 4.6 a dreadful engine. I disagree, I don't think it's the best becuase it isn't. But in DOHC format it's pretty darn decent if a little on the heavy side.

cody_288

Established Member
Thank you... I knew I'd get some agreeance on this forum, from more then one person. Even if it is from the LS1 guys..haha

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
lol, well the funny thing is I might have a Ls1 but I'm by no means a GM guy. On my drive/in my garage there is currently:

-Ford
-Triumph
-MG
-Range Rover
-Discovery
-Camaro
-Peugeot
-Vauxhall

Oh and a Golf, but that's my house mates.

Users who are viewing this thread