need a set of tires........

cobraetti

part of the zombie squad
Established Member
hello, I plan on autocrossing 5-10 times a year and want to choose a set of tires that will do well for that and the street.

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
I ran Bridgestone RE-01R this year. I have nothing but good things to say about them. Next year I'm running the RE-11s.

Check out the Dunlops and the Kuhmos. I hear good things about them as well.

ESP Cobra

Established Member
Hello all,

New to this site and my Cobra (4/09), which replaces my '66 Mustang as my auto-x toy. After much research, I finally pulled the trigger on the Dunlop Direzza Star Spec Z1 and had them shaved to 7/32's, since she's not my DD and I was looking for that "instant gratification" performance. I wanted a tire that I could pull street duty, give me an edge at O/T events, and run as my auto-x tire while I sort out the car running in FS. Also wanted to tune up the driver mod before switching to R-comps. So far, with about 5k miles on them, I'm pretty impressed with their performance. This included one O/T event, about 5-6 auto-x's, and lots of wet weather street driving. I opted for the 255/40 on the stock rims, to help out with the no low end torque B-head gearing. Not sure if you're running stock size wheels/tires, but you shouldn't have that problem with an '01.

As said, you can't go wrong with the Nitto 05, Kumho XS, or the Dunlop Star Spec. The biggest drawback with the Dunlop is the lack of sizes, as the 255/40 is the largest size in a 17". My decision was also very price point related.

If Ciotti could chime in, he can give a very good evaluation of the XS he is running on his Cobra.

HTH,

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread