Need advice on rear quarter repair

Stinger99

Established Member
My guy came down and looked at it and gave me a price, I wanted your guys opinion on what you guys might thing would be a fair price.

100_1462.gif

He wants to cut from the middle of the 1/4 glass to door.

What do you guys think a fiar price would be?

buddha93

Established Member
I believe that is the norm for a quarter repair. I han an 89' that got slammed and thats where they made the cut.

I can't see it possibly costing anything less than $2500 with parts, paint, and labor. Now if you've got a shade-tree guy, I'm sure it could be done for considerably less.

Are you going to repaint the whole car, or just blend?

If it were me, I'd strip the whole car and see what else you can find and shoot the whole car.

Stinger99

Established Member
the guy said about $1,500.

My main concern is the rust, after the rust is repaired i'm gonna have it media blasted and the whole car sprayed.

Do you think media blasting is the way to go, or should i try a diffrent method?

Last edited:

buddha93

Established Member
Talk to your paint/body guy. You shouldn't have to take the entire car down to bare metal, just the problem areas.

Stinger99

Established Member
It was my idea to media blast, I figured if im gonna do it, i might as well do it right.

I wanna make sure there aint no othere spots under the paint.

The painter will have a for sure price for me by sunday for everything, I'll let you guys know.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
If the only spot of rust is on that small section of the lower qtr. panel then I would never replace the skin all the way to the door. The car will always look like it was a wreck. Very few people ever truly get the door jamb area factory correct. I would just cut out the panel a few inches bigger than the rusted section and then weld in a replacement panel for that area.

I would bet since its rusted above the bumper cover like that then there will be a bigger mess behind the cover.

IF you have the car media blasted, you best make damn sure the shop doing it knows what they are doing & use the correct media. The wrong technique or materials and you will have a cobra with every body panel warped from being overheated.

The body shop that I use could section that rusted area, do the body work to have it paint ready for around $500 labor plus a couple hundred from a salvage yard for the qtr. panel section.

Stinger99

Established Member
cobra186
Wow, thats cheap.

but there is a small amout of rust on the left side of that pic that aint shown.
I dont remember that name of the media as it was 3 months ago. But i'll find out.

I was also thinking of sodablasting the car.

buddha93

Established Member
Walnut shells are a favorite to use, but expensive. Sand will warp the hell out of the sheetmetal like Daryl mentioned. Soda is good for plastic parts and the like.

buddha93

Established Member
Ya, don't put too much stock into what I say as I'm not paint and body guy, let alone a media blaster.....lol! Anyone that blasts will tell you what you need.

If your only taking off the OEM paint, the soda will probably be the way to go. I know it won't touch rust though.

Users who are viewing this thread