Need advice regrading intercooler & radiator relays

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
**Need advice REGARDING intercooler & radiator relays**

Question to the forum. I am not having any current obvious issues with either relay. Since I have the Ford Premium Care extended warranty and it expires this fall I want to maximize it and since I know the relays go bad is a visual ID buy the tech sufficient ? Im not good with programmers and VMP stated that if the Tech needs to hook the scanner to the OBD port, the car has to have its stock tune in and than I have to reflash it with the the proper VMP tune. I think I have several tunes stored so IF I decided to do this how do I tell what tune name is the car currently in ?

I think I can reflash the car to stock. Ive done it before but its been a while, just want to make sure I re-flash it back to the proper tune

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Im not exactly sure what you are asking. But unless a relay is bad i dont see ford replacing any of them.

I do know that some 2007 gt500 had some issues with the radiator fan and electrical on the fan overheating an going bad or melting. The good upgrade is going with the 2013/2014 gt500 fan setup, complete drop in.

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
Im not exactly sure what you are asking. But unless a relay is bad i dont see ford replacing any of them.

I do know that some 2007 gt500 had some issues with the radiator fan and electrical on the fan overheating an going bad or melting. The good upgrade is going with the 2013/2014 gt500 fan setup, complete drop in.

I upgraded too the 13-14 fan about two months ago. What i m trying to do is see if any of my relays are bad or going bad and if so have them replaced under warranty.

I called VMP and they advised me not to have Ford hook there scanner to my OBD port unless I download the stock tune and than when done revert back to the tune I am currently using

I have a nGauge that is only used for gauge purpose but they can pull codes. I think the SCT4 that I have can also pull codes, correct?

Really dont want to flash the car to stock than back to the tune.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
If any relays were bad you should notice it already. Such as the fuel pumps, HID head lights, fans ect. Normally when they go bad they just go bad. Heat can kill them. Otherwise i would not worry.

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
If any relays were bad you should notice it already. Such as the fuel pumps, HID head lights, fans ect. Normally when they go bad they just go bad. Heat can kill them. Otherwise i would not worry.

I checked both low and high speed fans and the contacts look good
I checked the intercooler pump relay and i could see slight signs of burning, so i put dielectric grease on the prongs and cleaned off the excess and plug it back in

Me 32, In order for the tech to check everything out , once the car is in the bay, I need to return to stock. Once he is done using the OBD port I than need to reflash back to my tune. Its easy to return to stock ( saw a youtube video on it) but before I do that since I have multipe tunes on my SCT, how do I find out what tune I am currently using. Has to be a way to turn on the SCT and find out and than get out of the program and turn the car off

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
just looked at SCT homepage and found the answer

How to find Current Flash:

1. Navigate the menu to find and select "Device Info"

2. Scroll down to find Married or Paired status which will display the word "Married" or "Paired" if the device is married to a vehicle.

3. Current Flash is directly underneath the Married Status. Here you will find a status showing preload or custom tune, the vehicle EEC Type (Processor ID), and the vehicle strategy.

Was this article helpful?
YES NO
Related Questions

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
Spoke to SCT and confirmed what I already knew so if I absolutly have to flash the car to stock I feel comfortable. Like when I did my research on the bullitt calipers, I do my homework

PM-Performance

Established Member
Long story short is that unless the car is under any kind of warranty, the tune thing is moot really. Just tell them to not screw with the PCM properties
They can figure out if the relay is bad without plugging in to the OBD2 port. I was able to figure this out quick enough on my own that mine was sticking and removed it and never had a problem since.
Granted these guys get to cheat with all these fancy tools, but this is mechanic 101 I would think.

That being said, yes you can flip back and forth between tunes easily in any device.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Might be too late to help OP, but these relay tests may help someone else out. I used them for troubleshooting low and high speed cooling fan issues in the past on my 2008.

Schematic_1.jpg

Schematic_2.jpg

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
Might be too late to help OP, but these relay tests may help someone else out. I used them for troubleshooting low and high speed cooling fan issues in the past on my 2008.

View attachment 1650310

View attachment 1650311
Its been a few days since the appt. As stated above my master Tech said the relays are cheap so I just had him replace it.

Car was and is running fine. No overheating issues except when I found out my intercooler pump failed so I did two things.
Replaced the pump with a davies craig and ordered and installed my nGauge. What I thought 2 years ago was a tune issue turned out to be intermittent intercooler pump failing until it finally quit this past january
Because the engine bay gets pretty warm with the Kooks long tube headers and the hp numbers I am running I thought it wouldnt be a bad idea on a 70,000 mile GT500 to get it all flushed out and replace the radiator ( on order ) with a CR radiator
Appt set with VMP mid August

PM-Performance

Established Member
Its been a few days since the appt. As stated above my master Tech said the relays are cheap so I just had him replace it.

Car was and is running fine. No overheating issues except when I found out my intercooler pump failed so I did two things.
Replaced the pump with a davies craig and ordered and installed my nGauge. What I thought 2 years ago was a tune issue turned out to be intermittent intercooler pump failing until it finally quit this past january
Because the engine bay gets pretty warm with the Kooks long tube headers and the hp numbers I am running I thought it wouldnt be a bad idea on a 70,000 mile GT500 to get it all flushed out and replace the radiator ( on order ) with a CR radiator
Appt set with VMP mid August

Did you run that EBP-25? I am glad people are finding use out of that post on that pump. I pulled my relay after installing that pump as well and the car has been dead reliable since. Still gets too hot in the bay, but atleast the pump is working solid now.

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
Did you run that EBP-25? I am glad people are finding use out of that post on that pump. I pulled my relay after installing that pump as well and the car has been dead reliable since. Still gets too hot in the bay, but atleast the pump is working solid now.

More people should realize the symptons of a intercooler pump going bad especially if you dont have a way to monitor it. Looking at the intercooler tank for flow isnt a save all because if the pump is working when you look at it u dismiss that as a possiblity

My problem has existed for close too two years. It was intermittent. Pump would fail and than start up again. This repeated itself and the percentages got more towards the pump failure side than working. When my pump totally failed, again when not using boost the car ran great. Just repeated floggings in boost is when it reared its ugly head.

If your a conservative driver as am I, you really dont know you have a issue on going because I rarely go into full boost. Everything works great on a cold start until you warm things up. The computer in the car knows there's an issue so it cuts power via timing in a big way and the car just BOGS down in boost.

I truly thought it was the tune that was doing this and I was upset with the tuner but such wasnt the case.

Tune was smack on.

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member

I believe so. It is a davies craig pump and all I remember is it fits like OEM and flows around 6.5 vs a stock pump that if memory serves me correct flows 3.5 ?

Also brushless

PM-Performance

Established Member
I believe so. It is a davies craig pump and all I remember is it fits like OEM and flows around 6.5 vs a stock pump that if memory serves me correct flows 3.5 ?

Also brushless
Yep, that’s the one I posted the video on last summer. Glad it helped you out.
Mine was off and on too. I would be cruising and all the sudden the car would start breaking up bad pulling from a light. I’d look at my iat and see it +200’s and would pull over and tap the relay or pump to get it going again to get home. Deff sucks having that in the back of your mind all the time.

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
Yep, that’s the one I posted the video on last summer. Glad it helped you out.
Mine was off and on too. I would be cruising and all the sudden the car would start breaking up bad pulling from a light. I’d look at my iat and see it +200’s and would pull over and tap the relay or pump to get it going again to get home. Deff sucks having that in the back of your mind all the time.

but you had a gauge telling you what was going on. I, though not a novice, thought it was something to do with my tune

Not until one sunny day last january i was doing some pulls in 4th on the interstate and got coolant spray from my relief cap on the intercooler tank, did I know what the problem was

PM-Performance

Established Member
Yea, I am big on having data avail to me for a reason. 20yrs is built motor boosted cars have taught me to always be able to monitor things whenever needed.
Otherwise it’s a guessing game
Good for us though the car will literally drop ALL the timing when it gets to a certain point and it won’t even have enough power to pull away from a light to get your attention quick

Users who are viewing this thread