Need Belt size not on Bob's page...

Morgan

Established Member
Lightning upper with 4lb lower and BF stealth idler( 90mm?)

I'm running a 78" Gates but I think it may be too tight...what would be the next size up and should I use a longer belt?

BTW Doug, I am still having a horrible squealing belt noise! It goes away for about a month or two with a new belt but comes back quickly...I can reverse the belt to get rid of it again, but it always comes back.

I see you offer a customer a new pulley b/c of a problem with another vendor's product and when I brought this issue to you in BG last year you told me to buy an aluminum hardcoated pulley and see if it gets better...I'm confused

I travel hundreds of miles from Houston and get told to buy something else...this dude goes nowhere and gets a new hub/pulley???

Last edited:

dougwg

Established Member
Hi Choad,

Ok, so you feel because you drove somewhere......blah...not even gunna go there....

Ok...you should NOT be running a "Lightning Pulley" with a 4lb lower.... it will slip badly even if you run an idler. Also, you should be running a 100mm idler with any pulley 3.10" or smaller.

This is my suggestion to you:
Purchase a BilletFlow 3.10" NS pulley and Hub along with a BilletFlow 100mm Idler Pulley AND call Metco and get a 6lb ring along with a new alternator pulley… THIS SETUP WILL WORK GREAT! And you won’t need a retune as long as your tune is good now. (you will be pushing that same boost)

Sorry but I do not remember speaking to you in BG... maybe I offered you a solution and you shot it down, I don't know... I don't remember but it would explain why I said to go with another pulley.

Maybe you wanted to blame the "squealing belt noise" on my Stealth kit and did not want to entertain the idea that it might be a problem with the combination of items you chose to be your setup

Allow me to explain...

When someone comes to me and asks me a question and I tell them my answer then that person wants to try to convince me that my answer is wrong when I know it's right... I will end the conversation immediately and just say something like "ok your right, I'm wrong, do what ever you like"

Maybe you should contact Ford, your car might be a lemon.

I wish you luck in your endeavors

Doug

Last edited:

Morgan

Established Member
Originally posted by dougwg
Hi Choad,

Ok, so you feel because you drove somewhere......blah...not even gunna go there....

Ok...you should NOT be running a "Lightning Pulley" with a 4lb lower.... it will slip badly even if you run an idler. Also, you should be running a 100mm idler with any pulley 3.10" or smaller.

This is my suggestion to you:
Purchase a BilletFlow 3.10" NS pulley and Hub along with a BilletFlow 100mm Idler Pulley AND call Metco and get a 6lb ring along with a new alternator pulley… THIS SETUP WILL WORK GREAT! And you won’t need a retune as long as your tune is good now. (you will be pushing that same boost)

Sorry but I do not remember speaking to you in BG... maybe I offered you a solution and you shot it down, I don't know... I don't remember but it would explain why I said to go with another pulley.

Maybe you wanted to blame the "squealing belt noise" on my Stealth kit and did not want to entertain the idea that it might be a problem with the combination of items you chose to be your setup

Allow me to explain...

When someone comes to me and asks me a question and I tell them my answer then that person wants to try to convince me that my answer is wrong when I know it's right... I will end the conversation immediately and just say something like "ok your right, I'm wrong, do what ever you like"

Maybe you should contact Ford, your car might be a lemon.

I wish you luck in your endeavors

Doug

This should be exciting...

Originally, I was running just a Metco 4lb lower...no noise

I add BF stealth idler with 79" belt...noise

Long before I added the L upper...And why is it that the L upper and 4lb is such a bad idea? I already have the 6lb ring and alt pulley...just missing the 3.10 upper

dougwg

Established Member
I think it’s a good Idea for me to answer this question in the open forum

drkchk03svt wrote on 09-13-2004 04:51 PM:
Well I am looking for a second opinion. I have the RR 2.80 with the BilletFlow 100 mm idler and I am going with the metco 4lb lower with a apten ported blower and all the boltons (including the gords heat exchanger) With all my mods you see in my sig is the 4 lb lower not a good combo with my 2.8 and apten????

I think you should ALWAYS use the largest pulley possible because it will give you more contact area with the belt.

In your case I think if you want to run a 2.8 and a 4lb you would be better off using a 8lb and a 3.10” upper ( don’t forget about the pulley for the Alt.)

Morgan

Established Member
Re: Choad

what do you want from me?

I thought my first paragraph was fairly explicit...which belt to use given the following parts are used: 4lb, 2.93, and BF stealth idler?

Secondly, which I think you've responded...Why does my belt squeal? If I have understood your reply correctly it is b/c I have the wrong parts on my car, and if I were to use the BF salad bar of bling my problem would be solved...correct?

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Ok...you should NOT be running a "Lightning Pulley" with a 4lb lower.... it will slip badly even if you run an idler
Sambanit's car runs great with a 2.93 upper/6lb lower. And I believe F8TLBITE ran his 10.97 with a 2.80upper/6lb lower.

From what I have seen on the forums, a 2.93upper/6lb lower is actually a pretty popular combo.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by JKD COBRA
Sambanit's car runs great with a 2.93 upper/6lb lower. And I believe F8TLBITE ran his 10.97 with a 2.80upper/6lb lower.

From what I have seen on the forums, a 2.93upper/6lb lower is actually a pretty popular combo.
I've always recommended the 2.93/2.90 with a 4 lb. lower for street and strip use. So you're saying that this combo will slip a lot? I've honestly never heard that before. So a 6 lb. is a better choice with the these uppers? How much boost is a 2.93 with a 6 lb. lower going to be pushing?

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
I've always recommended the 2.93/2.90 with a 4 lb. lower for street and strip use. So you're saying that this combo will slip a lot? I've honestly never heard that before.
Is that question for me or BilletFlow?

As for the 6lb lower, I am not sure which is best, a 6lb lower or a 4lb lower. I believe the boost is 'around' 16psi. . .

RGrossman

Established Member
I run a 2.75 RR non-slip and a Metco 4lb lower and have no belt slip. You don't need to change your upper to avoid slip.

drkchk03svt

Established Member
so you guys are saying I am going to have a lot of belt slip with a 2.8 and a 4lb lower with a 100mm idler????? Doesnt it really depend on what belt I go with?? Crap, I already ordered the lower based off what lynn told me to do.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Nope, thats not what we are saying. BilletFlow said that you will get slip, but what I was saying is that I see a good number of people running a 2.80 or 2.93 and a 4lb to 6lb lower with great results.

drkchk03svt

Established Member
Nope, thats not what we are saying. BilletFlow said that you will get slip, but what I was saying is that I see a good number of people running a 2.80 or 2.93 and a 4lb to 6lb lower with great results.

Ah thank god!!!!!!!!! :)

dougwg

Established Member
snip... BilletFlow said that you will get slip...snip

No I did not say that! If you are going to quote me then "Quote" me!

What I said was:

I think you should ALWAYS use the largest pulley possible because it will give you more contact area with the belt.

I ALSO said to CHOAD

you should NOT be running a "Lightning Pulley" with a 4lb lower.... it will slip badly even if you run an idler.

this is why:

I have seen it may times...people put a "Lightning Pulley" on a Cobra with no idler and have lots of slip regardless of belt size or manufacturer

They then add an idler and they get rid of their belt slip... (a good combo)

But you are asking too much of the stock Lightning pulley and idler when you install a lower pulley also!

Lightning pulleys are SMOOTH! Yes, they have grooves but the surface is SMOOTH!

ALL BilletFlow pulleys are SAND BLASTED for better grip and to add in grip we offer Cross Grooved also (Richard Racing design)

So, given that you use the SAME size pulley from any manufacturer…. The BilletFlow will slip LESS!

Thank you, have a nice day, happy modding.

Doug
BilletFlow

wyd_trkr

-
Established Member
No I did not say that! If you are going to quote me then "Quote" me!

What I said was:

I ALSO said to CHOAD

you should NOT be running a "Lightning Pulley" with a 4lb lower.... it will slip badly even if you run an idler.

this is why:

I have seen it may times...people put a "Lightning Pulley" on a Cobra with no idler and have lots of slip regardless of belt size or manufacturer

They then add an idler and they get rid of their belt slip... (a good combo)

But you are asking too much of the stock Lightning pulley and idler when you install a lower pulley also!

Lightning pulleys are SMOOTH! Yes, they have grooves but the surface is SMOOTH!

ALL BilletFlow pulleys are SAND BLASTED for better grip and to add in grip we offer Cross Grooved also (Richard Racing design)

So, given that you use the SAME size pulley from any manufacturer…. The BilletFlow will slip LESS!

Doug
BilletFlow

Well now, even with my being evacuated out of the state of Florida for not only one , but two hurricane's, I can still access the internet and these forums. However, I do agree on some of these statements made above, with the exception of these two:

"ALL BilletFlow pulleys are SAND BLASTED for better grip"

ONCE THE FRICTION GENERATED FROM ANY SERPENTINE BELT, NOT ONLY WEARS OFF THE ANODIZING FINISH, IT WILL ALSO WEAR DOWN AND SMOOTH OUT THE SO-CALLED SAND BLASTED INDENTIONS ON THE PULLEY!! THIS IS ONLY A TEMPORARY BANDAID TO HELP PREVENT BELT SLIPPAGE WITH ANY IDLER PULLEY SETUP, BUT CERTAINLY WILL NOT LAST!!

"So, given that you use the SAME size pulley from any manufacturer…. The BilletFlow will slip LESS!"

NOT TRUE, AS SFPH'S DUB NON-SLIP 2.80" - 2.93" DOES NOT SLIP WITH THE USE OF EITHER A 90MM OR 100MM IDLER PULLEY KIT AND PROPER BELT SIZE ON ANY 03 COBRA!!

THIS POSTING IS NOT MEANT TO FLAME ANYONE, BUT JUST STATING FACTS, AS SAND BLASTING A SUPERCHARGER PULLEY, HAS NEVER CURED BELT SLIP ON ANY SUPERCHARGER PULLEY, EVEN IF IT HAS ALREADY BEEN TRIED BY SEVERAL OTHER PULLEY MANUFACTURERS IN THE PAST 5 YEARS I KNOW ABOUT AND DID NOT WORK!!

:rockon:

dougwg

Established Member
just cuz someone has been doing something for years DOES NOT MEAN that they know what they are doing... could have been wrong all along

Terry...could you hit that little button under the "Tab" key on your keyboard please...it's the Caps Lock button.

I have yet to see even 1 of my supercharger pulleys with the "SO-CALLED SAND BLASTED INDENTIONS" wore down or smoothed out!

and what is this BS "SO-CALLED"....are you saying that my pulley are not blasted? :bash:

Last edited:

drkchk03svt

Established Member
Screw it! lol. I am going to install my 4lb lower, Apten and Gords with my current 2.8 and 100 mm idler setup and see how it goes. I guess I will continue to just test it myself. Like always everyone has their own openion just as they are intitled to! :) Thanks everone for the help!

Sorry SVTchoad I was not trying to steal your post.

Users who are viewing this thread