Need Camera Opinions

M.P. Cobra Fan

Are you my baby's momma?
Established Member
Ok guys, I need some help with cameras. I want something better than my point and shoot, but am not a photographer and know it would be pointless to spend a grand on one. I am looking to stay under $650. It is mainly for car pics and randomness. I am looking at these three.

BestBuy.com - Compare Page

What do y'all think?

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Strictly out of those three, I'd vote Nikon. I'm surprised to not see a Canon in that list though, I love my 40D and the Rebels are also awesome little cameras.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
The D40 and the Rebel are tried, true, and loved cameras with a good following and a lot of neat, reasonably priced accessories. I would pick one of those two, but I have little experience with the other two. Although, I think my neighbor just got a Sony DSLR and really likes it. The benefit of the Nikon or Canon cameras is that it's easy to find used lenses and other stuff for them.

M.P. Cobra Fan

Are you my baby's momma?
Established Member
OK. With everything I have been reading today, and what everyone I have talked to has told me, I have narrowed it down to the Rebel and the D40.

Now I need to start shopping around for prices! lol. Thanks a lot guys. I plan on buying Monday, so any other opinions would be very much welcome.

2kHoe

Established Member
Another vote for the Rebel XS! Two of my friends have Rebel's, and they love them.

Things I Have Heard:

Once you buy one, you are "married" to that brand for the rest of its life.
The camera comes with a decent lens, but you will want to upgrade soon after.
The lenses are not cheap.
I wouldn't get anything other than a Nikon or Canon. These two brands have a ton of support and products.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Canon 40D is super easy to use.

I was in this same situation recently and went "1-up" with the Canon XSi.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Nikon though, I really don't think you'll go wrong with either.

JJs89lx

In the making.....
Established Member
I have a canon rebel and love it, still learning new things about it.

Edit: looking at my crappy sig, haha that was taking with my ex girlfriends point and shoot.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
yea. megapixels dont mean shit. You could have a 5mp camera outperform a 12mp camera

Until you try to print a poster....You can tell a difference though. I went from a 5MP Olympus to a 10MP Canon and the quality and clarity difference was obvious, and that Olympus was a good camera. Now, when you're talking between 10 and 12, no, there's not much of a difference, especially if you're mainly interested in enlarging to 20x30 tops, maybe 24x36.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ

Read the camera reviews, and then go to the Forum discussions regarding the brand and model you THINK you want to buy. Canon, Nikon, Pentax, etc. all make decent cameras - a lot of people make the choice based on what lenses and accessories they will be wanting for the type of photography they want to do. Also, I suggest actually trying out (or at least handling) the camera before you buy to be sure you are comfortable with its controls and menu. Don't know why, but Nikon's menu layout seemed awkward to me while Canon seemed more intuitive, so I bought Canon. Other friends are entirely satisfied with Nikon. My allergist swears by Pentax and he takes award-winning photos.

50 Proof

Established Member
higher megapixel count on a small sensor DSLR will only increase the likeliness of noisy pictures.

Canon XSi for sure, inexpensive and the canon lenses will work just fine with it.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Until you try to print a poster....You can tell a difference though. I went from a 5MP Olympus to a 10MP Canon and the quality and clarity difference was obvious, and that Olympus was a good camera. Now, when you're talking between 10 and 12, no, there's not much of a difference, especially if you're mainly interested in enlarging to 20x30 tops, maybe 24x36.
Look at the two different brands, our old Sony 6 MP took better pics than a Nikon camera I had (and returned) which was a 10 MP. My experience with Olympus camera were never great. I bought a Canon the first day I tried one, the pics were just soo nice and clear. Only problem with Canon cameras were the lens get dirty really quick other than that I never had a problem in taking pics or anything. Not sure how the top camera's perform though since ive never boughten one over $400

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member

actually there isnt. You would have to blow up a picture about the size of a building to see the difference. There is a whole book about it on the camera facts website.

Users who are viewing this thread