Need emissions help

Grey11500

Established Member
I'm struggling to get my car to set emissions monitors o2,cat and heaters. Car has a built motor,cams,longtubes,whipple gen5,cobra jet maf housing,id 1300 injectors.Ive run the drive cycle 14 times just over 500 miles and they wont set. I have plugged the scanner in and checked the individual monitor tests and the o2 test has not run, but status is ok. Heaters have run part of the test but not the rich to lean, lean to rich part but lists it at ok. Same with the cat, no data listed but an ok status.All emissions are turned on and at factory settings in the tune. If anyone that tunes their own cars could point me in a new direction i would greatly appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

69b302

Established Member
If the tune is good and the car is mechanically sound should only take 1 or 2 drives with a near full tank of fuel. Lots of mail order tunes have tweaks with Ford IDS that other tuning programs will not detect. These tweaks can break emissions. The Advantage Pro base tune, with minimal changes for parts changes should get you there. I have found some of the scaling/normalizing of some parameters breaks the tests. Emissions test have “improved” and tricks from years ago no longer work, so many old tunes won’t pass new emissions test when they passed the old test. Your tuner should be able to provide you an update to solve the issue.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
1st, cold starts are more important than drive cycles or miles driven. Below is some info I came across while trying to reset my monitors, after my 02's were turned off. This is generic info, not Ford specific.................Some monitors have to reset before others can..
DRIVE-CYCLE-INFO-001.jpg

DRIVE-CYCLE-INFO-002.jpg

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
My car is same type of setup. When I bought it (3 years ago) I failed emissions because of same issues as you.... monitors would not set. I took to local tuner and he put a tuning device of some sort in the OBD port (I was not paying enough attention to see the exact device). Anyway, he checked on the device and then confidently said "your monitors need to set themselves, you gotta keep driving, just keep driving".... so I drove for about 250 miles, still no reset, I went back to him and he had no answer.... he said to keep driving. Now this is an experienced Mustang tuner, that's all they do, is work on Mustangs. I was disappointed and confused that he could not solve this.

So then I asked around (on the forum here) for another tuner in Northeast and luckily found Pete in New Hampshire. I called him up and he laughed at my story. Pete IMMEDIATELY said, "the monitors are off in the tune". I was shocked, but pleased that someone had an answer. I took the car to Pete and he turned on the monitors, and saved that tune on SCT so I could reload as necessary for inspection.

I then proceeded to follow the Ford Drive Cycle guidelines, and within 20 miles all the monitors were set and I passed the emissions with flying colors. It helps if you follow the official 'drive cycle' protocol listed on this page: Ford Motor Company Driving Cycle

Moral of the story... don't assume the monitors are turned on in the tune. Somehow the first tuner I went to thought they were on, when they weren't. You may be getting fooled in a similar manner.

Good luck! You will solve it. Call Pete if worse comes to worse. He does work remotely, if needed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread