Need exhaust help

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
As I get older I'm getting tired of not being able to drive with my windows down because my exhaust is deafening. My current set up is Kooks LTH, Kooks X pipe, no cats and I'm not exactly sure about the cat back, I traded someone my Corsa extremes for what I believe is the Ford KR exhaust. What are some quieter options for a cat back without sacrificing HP/TQ? I always wanted the Borla Touring but I'm not even sure that will help. Thanks for any input or soundclips if you have any.

tromt01

Established Member
Have you tried going back to the factory catback

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Mbiro594

Established Member
I would just go back to stock headers/mid pipe and get a nice Axle back. No sense worrying about losing power if you don't even enjoy your car. Im the opposite, currently looking for longtubes and x pipe lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tktlwyr

Established Member
I was concerned about the same thing. Car could use a 3” exhaust but didn’t like the available muffler options...they’re all straight thru design and LOUD!

My set up is Kooks 1-7/8” long tubes, 3” to 2-3/4” off-road X mid pipe, 2-3/4” over the axle pipes and, if you can find them, Ford Racing M-5230-MSVTCA.

I have a 2010 and the factory exhaust is a 2-1/2” system. I had to change some brackets and used V-bands because I was transitioning to the 2-3/4” system and didn’t have all the clamps but I guarantee you that this is a set up you’d be happy with.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
I've considered going back to stock, might sound good with the long tubes and off rd x. Would never get rid of the LTH's. Would maybe consider a catted X pipe but that's the priciest option.

Tktlwyr, would love to hear a sound clip if you have one.

WVTrakPak

Established Member

My set up is similar to yours. I have LT and stock mufflers. I added dynomax race bullets behind the X and it smoothed it out significantly.

Islandcat

Established Member
I have an 09 with kooks lt 1 7/8 and kooks off-road hpipe 3 inch into 2 1/2 inch. I had corsas axle backs on it and it screamed like a banshee. Took them off and put the stock mufflers back on. It's perfect. It honestly sounds about the same loudness as when I just had the corsa and stock exhaust. Maybe a tad bit louder. Put it to you this way , I ride around all the time with the windows down. Sounds awesome and only somewhat loud when you stomp on it.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I have Magnaflow street mufflers, catless 3" stainless works X pipe, and stock manifolds.

Car is very quiet. Im a bitch about a car being too loud so i can relate. Im sure LTH's will make mine louder, but i dont feel it would make it obnoxious by any means.

My $.02.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Your car sounds like relatively easy fix OP. New mufflers! And don't be surprised if it takes you a little experimenting (i.e., one or two differing sets of mufflers) to get that 'Goldilocks' exhaust note that you are seeking.

Good luck

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
Initially I wanted it loud and I got it lol. I know with LTH's and off rd X it's never going to be "quiet" but it's obnoxious right now and I can't stand it anymore. I want to drive with the windows down but it's so annoying. Thanks for all the help

builttodrive

Established Member
My set up. Dynatech LT's, Dynatech o/r X pipe and Ford racing SVT1 (Borla Touring Mufflers). kind of the best of both worlds. People are amazed at how quiet it can be and how loud it can be all depending on my throttle input. Idle, cruising, and part throttle very quiet. Part throttle to half is moderate. WOT is pretty dang loud!

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
My set up. Dynatech LT's, Dynatech o/r X pipe and Ford racing SVT1 (Borla Touring Mufflers). kind of the best of both worlds. People are amazed at how quiet it can be and how loud it can be all depending on my throttle input. Idle, cruising, and part throttle very quiet. Part throttle to half is moderate. WOT is pretty dang loud!

This is the cat back I thought I was getting, it might actually be the svt1's. I traded with a guy that said they were the Borla Touring but afterwards someone told me they were the KR's. I guess I should look for a part number.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm kind of in the same boat. I have LTH and ORH, but stock mufflers. I'd like something that sounds a little meaner, but a little bit quieter.

Users who are viewing this thread