Need expert HELP! Tick/power loss

Navy86

Established Member
Long story short I just drove to Lemoore, CA from Phx, AZ and noticed a louder then normal to what i thought was just the regular injectors. Moving over to the passenger side or just outside of the car in general it sounds like a louder tick, if indeed I have developed this wonderful addition to the car does anyone know on a great mustang shop that can actually find out and if so replace it for a somewhat decent price.

When replaceing these what are some general options that I have, i'm not looking to go super pricey but I am willing to fork out some cash to get this problem fixed and never have to deal with it again.

Last question I have is I have a noticable loss of power now throughout all gears could the engine tick cause this or is this a possible dirty fuel filter. Sorry for the random stuff I am still fairly new to the car community. Thank you all for the help! Lookin to get my beast back up and running.

Only mods done to the car are intake, cat back and afco single pass xchanger the rest was just suspension work and new clutch when i bought the car 4 weeks ago.

Forgot to put I am willing to drive to a great shop San Jose/LA/San Fran are all about 3 hours away.

Last edited:

testorossa1989

Established Member
Might have low compression/blown head gasket, Possibly even a exhaust manifold leak. Those will make you lose like 40% power and MPG ofcourse as well because a loss of back pressure. Little tick never killed nobody, if you worry about every sound your ford makes you will be admitted to the loney bin by nights fall. Id give it a nice tune up, check plugs, filter, fuel filter, all that good stuff. Im doing this blind but as far as im aware head tick doesnt make you lose power. You might have to think outside the box on this one.

Last edited:

Blueline

Established Member
Might have low compression/blown head gasket, Possibly even a exhaust manifold leak. Those will make you lose like 40% power and MPG ofcourse as well because a loss of back pressure. Little tick never killed nobody, if you worry about every sound your ford makes you will be admitted to the loney bin by nights fall. Id give it a nice tune up, check plugs, filter, fuel filter, all that good stuff. Im doing this blind but as far as im aware head tick doesnt make you lose power. You might have to think outside the box on this one.

Holy crap you can lose 40% of your power with an exhaust leak :rolleyes:

OP, check all of your spark plugs and make sure none on them have backed out. Can you take a video of the noise your hearing? Usually and exhaust leak will go away after warming up because the metals expand and close up a bit. This could be anything from an exhaust leak to a thrown rocker, which could be a result of bigger issues. But, baby steps, please try to take a video or be more descriptive of when the noise starts, clutch in, clutch out, hot cold, compression test etc....

testorossa1989

Established Member
Holy crap you can lose 40% of your power with an exhaust leak :rolleyes:

OP, check all of your spark plugs and make sure none on them have backed out. Can you take a video of the noise your hearing? Usually and exhaust leak will go away after warming up because the metals expand and close up a bit. This could be anything from an exhaust leak to a thrown rocker, which could be a result of bigger issues. But, baby steps, please try to take a video or be more descriptive of when the noise starts, clutch in, clutch out, hot cold, compression test etc....

Hope your eyes dont fall out, but on a serious note a leak doesnt seal itself with "heat" expanding, not in a extreme case where power loss is a factor. On that note, he is right about the video.

Last edited:

Blueline

Established Member
Hope your eyes dont fall out, but on a serious note a leak doesnt seal itself with "heat" expanding, not in a extreme case where power loss is a factor. On that note, he is right about the video.

If you have a crack in a header or a slight exhaust leak where the header and mid pipe meet, once they get up to operating temp they can close enough where it will no longer leak.

testorossa1989

Established Member
If you have a crack in a header or a slight exhaust leak where the header and mid pipe meet, once they get up to operating temp they can close enough where it will no longer leak.

Exactly, but power loss does not qualify as "slight".

testorossa1989

Established Member
Either way, you have a lot of support here. At the end of the day you wont know unless you go under the knife, and thats a extreme circumstance

hotcobra03

Established Member
Long story short I just drove to Lemoore, CA from Phx, AZ and noticed a louder then normal to what i thought was just the regular injectors. Moving over to the passenger side or just outside of the car in general it sounds like a louder tick, if indeed I have developed this wonderful addition to the car does anyone know on a great mustang shop that can actually find out and if so replace it for a somewhat decent price.

When replaceing these what are some general options that I have, i'm not looking to go super pricey but I am willing to fork out some cash to get this problem fixed and never have to deal with it again.

Last question I have is I have a noticable loss of power now throughout all gears could the engine tick cause this or is this a possible dirty fuel filter. Sorry for the random stuff I am still fairly new to the car community. Thank you all for the help! Lookin to get my beast back up and running.

Only mods done to the car are intake, cat back and afco single pass xchanger the rest was just suspension work and new clutch when i bought the car 4 weeks ago.

Forgot to put I am willing to drive to a great shop San Jose/LA/San Fran are all about 3 hours away.

only had car 4 wks...

a compression test should be done first before anything....

this will allow you to check plugs at same time....

the tick could get tricky...ive had 2 heads with this issue..each time it was drivers side but yet most noise was on passenger side being away from car..
head repair is very costly..and at the moment new heads are hard to get..
i do my own work..last head was new 1 side 1500.00...head/bolts/gasket

on a happy note there are other things that can cause a tick other than head,

pulleys,oil filter,exhaust leak,

and down on power could be from lack of maintenance

Navy86

Established Member
Damn thank you all for the support with the issue. I will def try and get a video asap, someone recomended to put a screwdriver to the valve cover and see what it sounds like as well.

Agree with the comp test prior to buying but it drive with 0 issues until after this long trip now it just feels extremely sluggish.

Navy86

Established Member
dumb question but how do you post a video to the forums its not giving me that option. nvm going to upload to youtube

2nd question is drivers side aft of the blower is a much louder vacuum sound is that normal?

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
dumb question but how do you post a video to the forums its not giving me that option. nvm going to upload to youtube

2nd question is drivers side aft of the blower is a much louder vacuum sound is that normal?

i use photobucket for pics and videos..you copy/paste the link...pics show in thread...

some people can get video to play in thread..mine redirect to link

Navy86

Established Member
th_BF2B28AD-0BE1-4279-8B6E-81DA919E15DC-5830-00000491020EA7A5_zpseea49c86.jpg

See if that works

Navy86

Established Member
warmup up at idle vac is at 22, oil pressure under 25 and 14.6 to 14.8 on widband.

Clutch in or out still makes the same noise

Users who are viewing this thread