Need fluid change ?

BADBOYSVT

Established Member
whenever I start driving the cobra . The VERY FIRST time shift to second . It feel notchy , feel dry . Not smooth . But only in second gear . The rest is normal . After drive the car for about a min or 2 . Shift to second feel normal . Idk what fluid preview owner using . I’m thinking swap over to Mobil 1 ATF

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Mine is notchy especially when cold, but I ve tried them all to include doing the anti-venom mod and mine is still notchy, RP Synchromesh seems to work ok once car warms up. I really hate the way it shifts I am considering buying anew tranny? My wifes 99GT has literaly had 3 trans oil changes shifts like butter and has 98,xxx I cant understand why these T56 are such a PIA

Rambro

Established Member
The guy that rebuilt my t56 strongly advised against synthetic fluid. He said basically the synthetic is good for the gears but to slippery for the synchros. It felt good with the cheap merc fluid but when I changed it out I used Amsoil atf. When the Amsoil was fresh I was missing gears and when cold it was rough and notchy. The Amsoil got much better over time but next time I'll put the cheap merc back in there.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
The guy that rebuilt my t56 strongly advised against synthetic fluid. He said basically the synthetic is good for the gears but to slippery for the synchros. It felt good with the cheap merc fluid but when I changed it out I used Amsoil atf. When the Amsoil was fresh I was missing gears and when cold it was rough and notchy. The Amsoil got much better over time but next time I'll put the cheap merc back in there.

I had a similar issue my trans was completely taken apart and put together, when the shop asked me if i had a preferred choice on oil i said RP i found out a month after i complained of the notchyness that he used RP ATF not the synchro. I replaced the oil myself with the correct type but to no avail.

Had a real good tuner who unfortunately moved out of state set shop else where, that mentioned a while back the same thing as you, he only uses DEXRON III ATF on the T56.

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
I called Tremec when it was time to replace my transmission fluid to see what they recommended and they told me to run strictly ATF. I also asked them if it would be alright to use Amsoil ATF and they told me it was alright to go ahead and run it. Normally they recommend Mobil! ATF. They also told me not to run the synchromesh. I know some of you have had success with the synchromesh but this is what I was told from Tremec.

Users who are viewing this thread