Need Gears Installed - Any Recommendations?

vipergts281

Established Member
Need new 3.55 gears installed on my 03 Cobra.

I know there is Evolution Performance in Aston...I'm waiting to hear back from them. Anywhere/anyone else that can do it? I already have the gears and install kit, I just need the labor.

I'm in West Chester PA for reference.

Thanks!

vipergts281

Established Member
Thanks guys.

I spoke to him, only problem is he is about 3 hours away. May still do it though, but first I'm going to try somewhere closer.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
Be VERY picky who instals your gears! Don't go the easy rout just because it is easier. I would drive 3 hours if it meant getting it done right because it is easy to get it wrong and you will hate life.

vipergts281

Established Member
Be VERY picky who instals your gears! Don't go the easy rout just because it is easier. I would drive 3 hours if it meant getting it done right because it is easy to get it wrong and you will hate life.
Yeah, I am being picky as I know this is something that can get messed up easily.

The 3 hour drive isn't out of the question, just double checking around me first.

How long does a gear install take, btw?

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
Look up Joes Automotive in Havertown. He's done 3 8.8 rears for me 2 sra and 1 irs. Hands down one of the best guys to put gears in around our area.

He sets up rears for all the local hardcore drag racers, his guys are masters at setting gears up. I've never had and whine or issues in my cobra with the 4.10s and have 25 track passes with et streets.

vipergts281

Established Member
Look up Joes Automotive in Havertown. He's done 3 8.8 rears for me 2 sra and 1 irs. Hands down one of the best guys to put gears in around our area.

He sets up rears for all the local hardcore drag racers, his guys are masters at setting gears up. I've never had and whine or issues in my cobra with the 4.10s and have 25 track passes with et streets.
Nice, I do a lot of work in Havertown...2 miles from his shop.

vipergts281

Established Member

I stopped by today.

Looking at a little over $800. :eek:

Prices are all over the place on gear installs. Literally a $500 difference between the highest and lowest places I've contacted.

vipergts281

Established Member
Are you bringing the parts ? I only paid like 350 for labor to install them
I have the parts but would be dropping the car off.

He said if I bought in the pumpkin it would be around $325 or so.

Was the $350 for a solid rear? Because when I told him what car he said $325. I said are you sure, because you have to drop the rear end. That's when he realized it was an IRS and not a solid.

He looked it up on his computer and it said its a 9.2 hour job. He said his guys would do it faster, but it's still in the $800 range.

Last edited:

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
Oh yeah it was for solid rears and the irs i pulled and brought to him and it was the same price. Those irs are a pita to pull

bleedingfordblu

Established Member
I have the parts but would be dropping the car off.

He said if I bought in the pumpkin it would be around $325 or so.

Was the $350 for a solid rear? Because when I told him what car he said $325. I said are you sure, because you have to drop the rear end. That's when he realized it was an IRS and not a solid.

He looked it up on his computer and it said its a 9.2 hour job. He said his guys would do it faster, but it's still in the $800 range.

i feel like if you had to tell him its irs you shouldnt take it there.

vipergts281

Established Member
i feel like if you had to tell him its irs you shouldnt take it there.
Yeah, but I guess if they don't work on Cobra's much it's not something they may know.

1996MysticSnake says they're great and some reviews online all raved about the place.

I'm not taking it there though, I'm all for paying for quality, but they are $300 more than another local place that I trust with this type of install. And I can't justify $500 just to drop the rear and then put it back in. I know it's not a walk in the park, but $500 is a bit much imo.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread