Need help! 2v vs 01 cobra 4 valve

Sluggie24

Established Member
Most all aftermarket heads don't have the valve seats machined perfectly concentric with the valve guides. There can be a good amount of runout which causes sealing problems which costs power. The seats need to be measured and machined if needed so they aren't more than a few thousands out.

The reason bare heads and assembled aftermarket heads are only about $200 difference in price is because cheap low quality valves and hardware are used to keep it inexpensive. Quality valves alone can cost more than $200 alone, not counting springs, retainers, keepers and seals.

bobby_0081

Established Member
I'm not sure the TFS heads suggestion makes sense for the OP financially. They are good heads but very pricey. For what he would spend on those heads he could buy the 4V engine, have it freshened up, and still have more power potential with a fresh engine. (assuming the engine will just need a hone and bearings/rings changed)

Not knocking TFS heads but they do charge a bunch for heads that flow about what well ported PI heads and stock 4V heads do. Not to mention to do them right you need to buy them bare, have the valve seats checked/cut properly, and put higher quality parts in them then then what the assembled ones come with which adds up quick.
It's nearly impossible to port a stock PI head enough to outflow a TFS head out of the box. They also come with replaceable cam journals and better/bigger valves and springs. They are a tad expensive but worth every penny to me. I wished I had bought the ones that were CNC ported from Trick Flow and paid a little more initially but I just got the regular 38cc heads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

bobby_0081

Established Member
bobby_0081, are you happy with your cam selection? You have the setup I ultimately want, but I will add a supercharger to it. The problem I am having is if the cam is too much for the intake, and also the drivability of it. Do you ever wish you had the smaller trick flow cam?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Yes. I love the cams.

bobby_0081

Established Member
Can you tell me more about the heads needing to be checked and higher quality components put in? I've never heard that before.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
I never had anything put in my heads. The valves, springs, and everything has over 100K miles since I installed them and it still runs great. If you were talking about some Pro Comp eBay heads then I agree but the TFS are nice out of the box.

Sluggie24

Established Member
Ported PI heads won't outflow the TFS heads, but they will get close to the same flow for a fraction of the cost. Depending on where you go for porting it might cost $800-1200 for both heads which is the cost of a single bare TFS head.

A 4V head is going to outflow a TFS head hands down. Since the OP stated he can get a whole 4V engine for $1k he is better off going in that direction

jaxbusa

Established Member
It's nearly impossible to port a stock PI head enough to outflow a TFS head out of the box. They also come with replaceable cam journals and better/bigger valves and springs. They are a tad expensive but worth every penny to me. I wished I had bought the ones that were CNC ported from Trick Flow and paid a little more initially but I just got the regular 38cc heads.

I believe you're talking about the 195 race head. If so, I think you need an over bore to accommodate the larger valve. I would also think your intake would be a choking point. I've been reading a lot about the 195 and think it would be overkill for what I want. It is appealing though.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

KEVINS

Established Member
The OP hasn't showed back up and he still hasn't answered the question about how much HP he wants.

ks

Users who are viewing this thread