Need help diagnosing Brembo Screeching

Jvibe92

Established Member
I am having high pitched, demonic screeching coming from only my drivers side brembo. Here's the story to rule out some possible issues

Bought factory brembo setup used
Had rotors resurfaced before put on
Had brembos powder coated
Factory setup screeched bad, enough that I changed the pads/rotor
Put xtremestop slotted/drilled with hawk hps5.0
Did break in procedure (8-10 hard stops without drag)
Screech came back and worse.
Sanded the pads a little and put a bit more grease on the back of the pads

Screech is still present

Here are the rotor lines. Both sides actually look the same but the drivers side continue to be the only one making noise.

d998756645d43b044f949ed50c6c3933.jpg

470rwhp Cornfed 5.0

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
When you re-assembled the calipers with shoes, did you tap in the pins far enough? Of note, slotted and drilled rotors are known to be noisy, but your screech would make me murderous :)

Jvibe92

Established Member
Yes they are tapped in all the way. My issue is they did it on the factory setup on the same side with factory pads???

470rwhp Cornfed 5.0

JDos1

Established Member
Common issue with Brembos for some odd reason. Never once had a brake squeal in the 75k miles I had the OEM setup on. Swap out for Brembos and have constant squealing. I just deal with it.

Jvibe92

Established Member
I'm fine with squeaks here and there. When cold it's fine but this loud???? None of my friends brembos do this

470rwhp Cornfed 5.0

Paul.

Established Member
Have you tried OEM pads? Is that what was on it originally? High performance pads are more prone to squealing. Years ago when I raced SCCA, I had ultra-race pads and they wailed like a banshee.

Paul.

Jvibe92

Established Member
Reread what I posted. Yes I had oem pads first. Dust shields are not hitting. Checked those awhile back as well

470rwhp Cornfed 5.0

Paul.

Established Member
Hmmm. That's bizarre. Neither my 14" Brembos or my new 15" Brembos have ever made any real noise to speak of. All stock stuff.

Jvibe92

Established Member
Am anyone here attest to lifting their car and hearing slightly grinding noise? If not I think my calipers are dragging

470rwhp Cornfed 5.0

vans5oh

I had a similar squeal on my car. I took the pads out and put some of that red brake squeal stop stuff on the back of the pads and regreased everything. I got it from Autozone and its called CRC Brake Quiet. Brakes have been super quiet since I put this stuff on. Give that a try, hopefully that works.

vans5oh

Not as severe. It's worth trying since it sounds like you've tried everything else. What do you have to lose? Pads are easy enough to pull out. Only took me half an hour to do and the Brake Quiet stuff is like $7.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
Time to take that one caliper off and funct check it. See how the pistons move. also check the seals. Since you powder coated them, it gets pretty hot and sometimes those seals don't appreciate that.

Mat5.0

Established Member
I was about to post a thread about this but stumbled upon this. I hand the exact same issue (sans powdercoating) just as loud but coming from the passenger side. Just switched from hawk hps to hawk ceramic, that didn't help. Noise only occurs once brakes are warmed up but definitely intensifies the hotter they are (ie slowing down after spirited driving etc)

Mat5.0

Established Member
I forgot to mention that I have drilled/slotted rotors, and those turned out to be the cause. Kept my hawk ceramics and now I have regular oem rotors and they're quiet. It's the best thing ever to not have to slam on my brakes to come to a stop without howling

Users who are viewing this thread