Need Help!!!! Going crazy 2.9 FRPP

ONTHJUG

Established Member
We installed the 2.9 Whipple on my 2011 GT500 with FRPP Monoblade TB. Tuned with SCT and all seemed ok but when driving over 25% light throttle engine will surge. After 5 miles wrench lt came on and rpms went to 3000 then went to limp mode. Tuner has made several revisions and surge is less but there. Idles great and runs great just surges under part light throttle. I have the normal combination of 72lb inj,JLT 127CAI, 3.25 pulley.

I have read all the horror stories about the mono blade but most say its tuning. I am considering scraping the mono for a twin but if this is just a tune issue id rather save the money

Any direction will help.

Thank you

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Well, there's always Lund and make sure the CAI is on and clamped properly. Good luck with that. I wanted to try monoblade but went dual 72. Was scared of throttle issues. Should be able to data log it while its acting crazy and have the tuner fix it with ease.

Blackmax

Established Member
Well, there's always Lund and make sure the CAI is on and clamped properly. Good luck with that. I wanted to try monoblade but went dual 72. Was scared of throttle issues. Should be able to data log it while its acting crazy and have the tuner fix it with ease.

I still have trouble getting my Whipple intake not to leak,if its not airtight crazy shit happens.

Nsssane1

Established Member
I have a whipple mono blade, jlt 127, 72's no problem at all. Tuned via email. Did have to send a few logs though.

ONTHJUG

Established Member
They have data logged and still have some surge after revised tunes. Better but not great. How do I find out if its a tune or tb issue? Tuner is a huge Ford SCT guy that has done numerous cars like this.

Red-GT500

Needs More Torque!
Established Member
I am sure you have heard this before but here goes...I was having the same issues with a set up on my TVS. At first i thought it was the tune, then i was told to pull the filter all the way out to the end of the tube on the JLT and it fixed my problems. The car surged and was constantly searching for the right idle position. I guess there is a problem with smooth airflow over the MAF if the filter is seated to close to it. Just a thought that could help you out. I hope it helps.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
FWIW, I'm running a 2.9L, JLT, and the SCJ monoblade and my car drives fantastic. So I wouldn't rule the TB out, but I would look at other causes first, like mentioned above.

ONTHJUG

Established Member
Just talked to Lethal. They said a few of these have come back with throttle hang issues when new like mine. I might just for go and either use stock or another.

They said use the stock throttle body. We shall see

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Just talked to Lethal. They said a few of these have come back with throttle hang issues when new like mine. I might just for go and either use stock or another.

They said use the stock throttle body. We shall see
You could sell your monoblade and buy a new CJ65 for not a lot of difference in price.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Have been running the FRPP mono-blade for just over a year, runs just as smoothly as the CJ65 it replaced.
Who did the blower install, you or a tuner ?
Have read several threads on mono-blade issues on this site & others, & when it gets resolved, it's in the tune..
6April2012JDMtrip005.jpg

ONTHJUG

Established Member
We change out TB to stocker and still does it. Now the car had this problem from the initial install of the blower while limping it over to the tuner but I thought it was because it was not tuned. I installed it. I am not a novice,we run a repair facility here in Knoxville. Now i'm in no way perfect so if there are any thoughts please chime in.

sharke

Established Member
I had the exact same problem with my mono. All that needed to be done was to replace the throttle position sensor and since that it has worked 100% perfectly.

ONTHJUG

Established Member
They have run thru many tune files and adjustments with no luck, called Whipple they said no idea,called others with same reaction.

ONTHJUG

Established Member
Have you data logged it?

Many times, now I'm not there at the tuners but he is a very good Ford tuner and has done tons of these.

I can't find one solid answer yet.

Again this issue was there when I drove it to the tuner after blower installation. I thought it was from no tune and large TB, injectors. Weird you push throttle all ok it goes to a certain point and surges, bad also. Full throttle a ok,idle to this point perfect. What are we missing????? I have no secondary tune ability to ck what is done, I can only trust the tuner. I don't see the TB as culprit since we swapped over and still occurs. My thoughts if it's not fixed tomorrow thats 5 days I will pick it up and look over it myself then it may go to another place. :shrug:

ONTHJUG

Established Member
Discussed with tuner via e/mail. He says none of the logs or parameters look like an issue. TPS,EGR,fuel trims all look normal.

Here is the kicker. When this occurs at partial throttle and engine surges boost gauge moves with surge, back and fourth from 0 to 5. Now this just may be due to engine speed and blower trying to make boost. I am at a loss. We will bring it back to our shop and start going over all of the install. Any thoughts please.

Users who are viewing this thread