Need help passing emissions

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
To set these cars to a ready state - you need a few drive cycles (see link below). Most people hit those marks in their normal drives. It's not about the amount of miles you put in - but more about completing actual cold start drive cycles.

It normally doesn't go out of a ready state unless the battery is being removed or cleared with a hand held of sorts.

I don't know much about tuning, but does flashing the car cause it to reset all the sensors and go back into a "not ready" state?

Ford drive cycles:
Ford Motor Company Driving Cycle

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Yes i do, its a SCT x3 i believe ( yellow and red flames)

That’s good, at least you don’t have to buy a new one. Your new tuner can use it and you don’t have to buy a new one saving you a couple hundred bucks at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
To set these cars to a ready state - you need a few drive cycles (see link below). Most people hit those marks in their normal drives. It's not about the amount of miles you put in - but more about completing actual cold start drive cycles.

It normally doesn't go out of a ready state unless the battery is being removed or cleared with a hand held of sorts.

I don't know much about tuning, but does flashing the car cause it to reset all the sensors and go back into a "not ready" state?

Ford drive cycles:
Retuning, replacing the battery, etc all require the sensor parameters to be reset.

Sent from my [toilet] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

Established Member

Ford drive cycles:

If the monitors aren't turned on or if something like the rear O2's or EGR are turned off it won't matter how much you drive it. The monitors will never set like that.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
It’s got longtube headers but egr is still on the car, no cats on the mid pipe
Long tube headers with no cats? Not passing emissions.
I'm pretty sure you're going to need cats to pass emissions and a re-tune for the long tube and cats.

MCT

Established Member
Long tube headers with no cats? Not passing emissions.
I'm pretty sure you're going to need cats to pass emissions and a re-tune for the long tube and cats.
Like I said, he needs to find a hook up, and go to a small shop where they will help him "pass" emissions...

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Like I said, he needs to find a hook up, and go to a small shop where they will help him "pass" emissions...
Or,.....he can do what you said. Much easier. LOL
I would "assume" it's hard to find a shop that will do that these days though with the cameras and photos that needed to be taken. Maybe not?

StrayBullitt

Established Member
Have a friend or relative that lives outside of emissions testing area that you can use the address to register it to ? I let a couple buddies do this in the past, I don't think they had any issues.

MCT

Established Member
Or,.....he can do what you said. Much easier. LOL
I would "assume" it's hard to find a shop that will do that these days though with the cameras and photos that needed to be taken. Maybe not?
There are still some areas. Just have to be smart about it. It'll be much cheaper in the long run. I hate cats, and never have them on.

Another thing OP can try doing depending on where he lives is register his car as a collectors/classic car (depending on the definition of the state), and he doesn't have to do emissions.

Fooj

Established Member
I bought kooks green catted mid pipe and getting retuned in May 2nd. I’m just over trying to get around the issue. I just hate tuning a car, consecutive hard runs always makes me worried.

nxhappy

Established Member
it isnt "ready" because your monitors havent set yet. If it's 99 or newer you won't need a "sniffer" pipe test. They just plug in the obd2 and see if it's ready. Most cars/mustangs will have monitors "ready" within 100 miles. You have to drive it 50% highway and 50% street. You can check all monitors with a $40 obd scanner. Even time you disconect the battery or tune the car you RESET the monitors so don't do that. Drive the car 100 miles and it will be ready for smog. I am not entirely sure in your state, but in CA you cannot have long tubes headers, and you have to have all cats installed....hope this helps.

01yellercobra

Established Member
If the monitors aren't turned on or if something like the rear O2's or EGR are turned off it won't matter how much you drive it. The monitors will never set like that.
it isnt "ready" because your monitors havent set yet. If it's 99 or newer you won't need a "sniffer" pipe test. They just plug in the obd2 and see if it's ready. Most cars/mustangs will have monitors "ready" within 100 miles. You have to drive it 50% highway and 50% street. You can check all monitors with a $40 obd scanner. Even time you disconect the battery or tune the car you RESET the monitors so don't do that. Drive the car 100 miles and it will be ready for smog. I am not entirely sure in your state, but in CA you cannot have long tubes headers, and you have to have all cats installed....hope this helps.
As has been mentioned. If things are turned off in the tune the monitors will never set.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
If you have a regular DD that is currently registered just get "collector" tags, you dont have to worry about emissions then. I ordered my SVT paperwork and sent a copy in to the office identified on form BMV4803. I even got TRMN8R tags to boot!!! I believe it is only $50 when you renew your registration but you never have to worry about any inspection.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Still waiting on the mid pipe to be deliveried from summit (got kooks green cat mid) and i am getting retuned on May 2nd by CRT
NICE!!
Good luck man and keep us posted.

Fooj

Established Member
So i got great news, after installing the catted mid pipe. I took it too the local e-check and they plugged it in the computer and some how they were able to read and i got a pass! I dont know why when i went to do it myself i kept getting that the computer wasn't ready to be emission tested but they were able to going through the obd2 port.

My question is i think i am going to run the car with the catted mid-pipe without getting it retuned. I know i am adding some added back pressure but i dont see how it will hurt the car if i keep the tune that is one the car now that was tune for a non-catted car. What do you all think i should do going forward.
Thx

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
So i got great news, after installing the catted mid pipe. I took it too the local e-check and they plugged it in the computer and some how they were able to read and i got a pass! I dont know why when i went to do it myself i kept getting that the computer wasn't ready to be emission tested but they were able to going through the obd2 port.

My question is i think i am going to run the car with the catted mid-pipe without getting it retuned. I know i am adding some added back pressure but i dont see how it will hurt the car if i keep the tune that is one the car now that was tune for a non-catted car. What do you all think i should do going forward.
Thx
That's awesome man.
Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread