CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

NotSatisfied

Established Member
Man, I’m almost to the breaking point.

I have changed the Intercooler out for a VMP Race Unit. Upgraded the lines 3/4” to 1” entering and exiting the IC.

Car also has a Gords Fords HE that I added.

The car is on E85 and 25# of boost. Car also has a trunk tank with an EMP.

Today idle tuning with Kevin Dunn, the ambient is 95*. The car obviously heat soaks sitting there running.

I waited till the temp dropped to 87* and my Charge Temps registered 120*. Took it out, car behaved fine. It got around 135-140 cruising. I was getting on the highway and stomped it, Charge temps lowered to 128 but almost instantly got to 154 at the end of the pull, then lowered into the 140s. Car is scary fast.

The water in the ice tank is like a milk froth on the top.

I can’t keep chasing lower charge temps- I have done everything I can do- I just don’t want something to break, etc . I don’t want to deal with shelling out money I don’t have right now. Maybe what I’m seeing is normal but not sure. Just not sure what I want to do at this point.

Thinking strongly of moving on.

Maybe a Killer chiller or FI Interchiller is needed.

IMG_6590.jpg
IMG_6580.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
A lot of folks runs a setup like yours. Odd you haven’t been able to figure it out. Don’t give up.

Hopefully you figure it soon. Car is too beautiful to give up on.

If/when I upgrade the IC system, I’m going with a killer chiller.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
what does your tuner say about those charge temps? I would talk to him first.

You've come too far to let it go. If you need to, park it for a minute or just take it for an easy cruise and dont even look at the charge temps.

Try doing some searches here for IAT2 as well as charge temps, theyve definitely been discussed before to get a better idea of what normal behavior is.

Where does water exit from that tank going back up to the intercooler - i mean height wise. Under acceleration, with the nose of the car up, do you think it might be sending foam as well?

papajoewill

Established Member
what does your tuner say about those charge temps? I would talk to him first.

You've come too far to let it go. If you need to, park it for a minute or just take it for an easy cruise and dont even look at the charge temps.

Try doing some searches here for IAT2 as well as charge temps, theyve definitely been discussed before to get a better idea of what normal behavior is.

Where does water exit from that tank going back up to the intercooler - i mean height wise. Under acceleration, with the nose of the car up, do you think it might be sending foam as well?
I have the same sentiment. Take your time and it will pay off. Don't get so frustrated that you want to give up. A little more work and you're there. The light is at the end of the tunnel.

NotSatisfied

Established Member
At the end of the day, I suppose, I’m comparing myself to others.

I’m running a twin screw G4 2.9 Whipple. It’s an air compressor- not an air pusher like a TVS. I’m compressing already hot ambient air, at an exceptionally high rate. TVS guys will always have lower IAT2s. There is only so much I can expect from my current setup. Once the ice tank is hot, it’s gonna be a while to come back down. Only saving Grace I have is E85. So should probably just relax and get the froth/aeration thing resolved.

I’m gonna flush it continuously with a garden hose. Then drain and fill 100% distilled. No additive, no nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

I’m running a twin screw G4 2.9 Whipple. It’s an air compressor- not an air pusher like a TVS. I’m compressing already hot ambient air, at an exceptionally high rate. TVS guys will always have lower IAT2s. There is only so much I can expect from my current setup. Once the ice tank is hot, it’s gonna be a while to come back down. Only saving Grace I have is E85. So should probably just relax and get the froth/aeration thing resolved.

I’m gonna flush it continuously with a garden hose. Then drain and fill 100% distilled. No additive, no nothing.

you could always just start a gen 4 whipple 2.9 IAT thread and see if others kick in their info for comparison sake

LS WUT

Established Member

This is where I would start also. Flush it out completely.

DCguy

Established Member
Apparently there is a thing where running the pump too fast can aerate the tank. I've seen others add voltage regulators to the EMP pump and regulate the voltage down a tad to keep the aeration in check....i find that kind of funny, considering how much money we spend for more gpm, more flow, bigger lines, bigger pumps, etc etc.

Also, its just really damn hot out right now, especially in Houston I bet......25psi and 100 degree heat doesn't bode well for our cars which struggle with heat soak as it is....probably best to just wait out the heat a bit.

The amount of froth in your tank is abnormal. Flushing it with distilled is a good start. Also, check your line routing.....ppl use many different setups, in terms of HE first or IC brick first, but whats important is to feed the bottom of each and force air upward.

Your Gordsford is a decent unit, but for a car of your power level and boost, i'd suggest upgrading to a GT500 style.....more than double the surface area and volume. You just need to cut off the barbs and weld on 1in versions for your setup. The version with the fans does well for a street car as well, especially when you get stuck in traffic or are sitting at lights....I know some ppl say the fans are a restrictor, and while I agree with that if you're at highway speeds or road racing, I like them for around the town driving and street cruising.

Your car has come a LONG way and is probably one of the nicer examples out there....best thing to do when frustration sets in is to just step away from it for a couple weeks.....clear your head and come back with a plan.

NotSatisfied

Established Member
Apparently there is a thing where running the pump too fast can aerate the tank. I've seen others add voltage regulators to the EMP pump and regulate the voltage down a tad to keep the aeration in check....i find that kind of funny, considering how much money we spend for more gpm, more flow, bigger lines, bigger pumps, etc etc.

Also, its just really damn hot out right now, especially in Houston I bet......25psi and 100 degree heat doesn't bode well for our cars which struggle with heat soak as it is....probably best to just wait out the heat a bit.

The amount of froth in your tank is abnormal. Flushing it with distilled is a good start. Also, check your line routing.....ppl use many different setups, in terms of HE first or IC brick first, but whats important is to feed the bottom of each and force air upward.

Your Gordsford is a decent unit, but for a car of your power level and boost, i'd suggest upgrading to a GT500 style.....more than double the surface area and volume. You just need to cut off the barbs and weld on 1in versions for your setup. The version with the fans does well for a street car as well, especially when you get stuck in traffic or are sitting at lights....I know some ppl say the fans are a restrictor, and while I agree with that if you're at highway speeds or road racing, I like them for around the town driving and street cruising.

Your car has come a LONG way and is probably one of the nicer examples out there....best thing to do when frustration sets in is to just step away from it for a couple weeks.....clear your head and come back with a plan.

Great advice and I agree, I’ll look into the GT500 unit soon. I’ll look at the plumbing too.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MG0h3

Established Member
While the HE could help, I’d figure out the froth first.

Like mentioned above, pump is probably cavitating and causing the froth.

I may have missed it but was there something other than water in there?

MG0h3

Established Member
There’s a thread in the terminator section about this.

Maybe check the FB groups.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
FWIW, @MalcolmV8 did a flow check on the GT500 heat exchanger and learned swapping the fittings for the 1" fittings really wasn't worth it.

You're running 25psi in high temps and high humidity. It's going to get hot. Honestly, your temps don't seem all that off from what I'd expect to see personally. I was in Texas a couple days ago. Even my truck got warm.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
FWIW, @MalcolmV8 did a flow check on the GT500 heat exchanger and learned swapping the fittings for the 1" fittings really wasn't worth it.

You're running 25psi in high temps and high humidity. It's going to get hot. Honestly, your temps don't seem all that off from what I'd expect to see personally. I was in Texas a couple days ago. Even my truck got warm.

Agreed there is big time diminishing returns. Imho, the Stewart pump is worth it in have a more modern better built pump. After that the costs stack fast.

Users who are viewing this thread