Need Help Removing Coolant Crossover 97 Cobra

97RioRed4V

Established Member
I am in the process of installing a Vortech supercharger kit. I am stuck at removing the coolant crossover pipe. I used a very large pry bar and sprayed tons of penetrating oil with no luck. I have bent the pipe underneeth it with the force of the prybar. I then decided to remove the alternator and heat the block with a mapp torch. Still no luck! Is it possible that I didn't heat it enough. Please help with any tips or tricks?

97RioRed4V

Established Member
I did that with a 2 foot long pry bar and seriously dented the pipe. I tried this on both ends and still no luck.

97RioRed4V

Established Member
I wish mine was like that. I also put a long block of wood underneath it and used a hydraulic jack. It started lifting the engine, but no help with removal.

HandsomeRob

Established Member
Mine was a pain to get out as well. You need to use a little penetrating oil and wiggle it left to right before prying upwards. Once you break the rust free its pretty simple. I think I even used a big hammer and metal dowel to tap the very bottom of the crossover. The sudden jolt from the hammer shakes it free.

97RioRed4V

Established Member
Rob when you say the very bottom, are you taking about where it enters the engine block? FYI, I can wiggle the pipe slightly. I am wondering if a priest can come over and give it a blessing or something.

dynamo

Established Member
cross over pipe removal

i too had a hard time removing mine.
here is a thought, if you are replacing it anyway, why dont you cut
it in half, then you can rock each side seprate to remove.

97RioRed4V

Established Member
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try it again tonight. As for cutting it, I had the same thought. That was Plan C. Plan D is either swap out the engine or blow it up. Please keep sending me suggestions!

greasy

SVT Noob
Established Member
I sprayed a good amount penetrant/lube on both sides of the crossover and let it sit overnight. Next day I layed a piece of folded over cardboard on the alternator to protect it and use a 18" breaker bar to pry it out. It worked well and the O-rings are still in great shape.

97RioRed4V

Established Member
It came out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I removed the alternator. Put a chain around each end of the crossover pipe. Sprayed oil penetrant on each pipe going into the block. Then I used quick action bar clamp (wood clamps) in reverse. The clamp was pushing up on the chain (evenly pulling the pipe up) and pushing away from the engine block (alternator mounting area). Then I rocked the clamp black and forth until the pipe popped out of the block. I think I will mount this crossover pipe like a deer head as decor for my garage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread