Need help with idle surge!!

red04svtcobra

Foxbody search is on!!
Established Member
Noticed today after the cobra got warm on the drive home that when I came to a stop the idle would surge from around say 750 to around 1,100 and satay there for a couple seconds and then may drop again or stay there. I also noticed that the idle wasn't dropping a fast and was kinda dropping slow. What could this be?

freight hauler

Keep It Simple Stupid
Established Member
Sorry, off topic here. I have a 04 Torch Red with same wheels. You have excellent taste and a beautiful cobra.

Freight Hauler
'04 TR #3160

Juruense

Banned
Do you have an Accufab throttle body?

Has the car been professionally tuned and has anything changed since it was?

Is the a/c on when this is happening?

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
I would look at the IAC first, they are easy to get to for cleaning. Next would be a a vacuum line, followed by a connector. I would stay out of the throttle until you solve the problem. You have a chance to run the car lean.

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
I had a similar problem when I was running a BBK dual 65mm TB on my car. My tuner or I could never completely solve the issue so I replaced the BBK with an Accufab oval TB and the problem went away. :beer:

red04svtcobra

Foxbody search is on!!
Established Member
Do you have an Accufab throttle body?

Has the car been professionally tuned and has anything changed since it was?

Is the a/c on when this is happening?

I had a similar problem when I was running a BBK dual 65mm TB on my car. My tuner or I could never completely solve the issue so I replaced the BBK with an Accufab oval TB and the problem went away. :beer:

I use a cobra R single blade TB. Has been on there for a while now. I has been tuned on a dyno yes and nothing else has changed other than putting in new TR6 plugs gaped at .035. No AC was on either.

red04svtcobra

Foxbody search is on!!
Established Member
I would look at the IAC first, they are easy to get to for cleaning. Next would be a a vacuum line, followed by a connector. I would stay out of the throttle until you solve the problem. You have a chance to run the car lean.

Where is that? If this is the thing that is on top of the TB then I have already sprayed that with TB cleaner.

Juruense

Banned
Its worth a shot to clean IAC again, clean MAF, and then reset PCM may not fix it but hey it don't cost nothin.

Juruense

Banned
Be sure and use residue free electrical contact cleaner or MAF cleaner on MAF.

Reset PCM by disconnecting the battery and tapping the brakes a couple times, guage sweep on first start indicates successful reset of PCM.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I use a cobra R single blade TB. Has been on there for a while now. I has been tuned on a dyno yes and nothing else has changed other than putting in new TR6 plugs gaped at .035. No AC was on either.

Gap them at .032...especially since you are pullied...

Users who are viewing this thread