Need Help with Piston Boot replacement on Rear Caliper

mrose75

Established Member
I replaced my rear pads and rotors yesterday (Waaaaaaay overdue). I had t done it on the Cobra before so I took my time with it in the driver's side with you tube up and what not. Once I figured it all out I swapped over to the passenger side and was breezing through it. Not rushing but confident since I had been successful on the driver's side. As I was finishing up pressing the piston in I believe I accidentally torn the piston boot. I don't think it was damaged before. So I order a caliper rebuild kit from RockAuto but can't seem to find any DIYs or video to should how to do this on the Cobra. Anyone have a DIY? I'm assuming from what I was able to find from other model cars that I'll have to take it off the car, thus requiring a bleed and all of that as well. Any pointers would be appreciated, I'm a complete newb at brakes.

Woody6799

Established Member
I will try to find the how to I used but its really simple.

Take the caliper off the car completely, Place a sponge or something soft inside where the pads go, shoot compressed air from the bango bolt hole into the pistons, remove pistons, replace parts, smother parts in brake fluid and slide them back in. That's the basics. Anything outside that I am sure you will figure it out. I did it this winter.

I will search for that thread though

found it: http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ange-seals-boots-on-your-front-brake-calipers

Reading fail :nonono: just saw this is for rear calipers. my bad....

Last edited:

mrose75

Established Member
Yeah, I found that one. But those twisting pistons are tripping me up. Thanks though.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Just like posted above, I used a 1" thick piece of pine board, wrapped it in a towel. Use air compressor into banjo bolt hole. You will hear a loud "pop". Remove board, see if piston will come out by hand now. Use very light air pressure again if needed. Remove rubber seal with a small pick, lube up new seal with fresh brake fluid. Lube up boot, start the boot on the piston and in the caliper. Turn the boot to make sure its seated right in caliper, it only goes inbone way. When you slide piston in, the boot will seat itself. Make sure you turn the piston while pushing it in or you can damage it.

As long as you dont mess with the e-brake assembly in the caliper, you will be fine. That was a PITA when I had my calipers powder coated.

Last edited:

mrose75

Established Member

This might be exactly what I'm looking for, thanks!

Just like posted above, I used a 1" thick piece of pine board, wrapped it in a towel. Use air compressor into banjo bolt hole. You will hear a loud "pop". Remove board, see if piston will come out by hand now. Use very light air pressure again if needed. Remove rubber seal with a small pick, lube up new seal with fresh brake fluid. Lube up boot, start the boot on the piston and in the caliper. Turn the boot to make sure its seated right in caliper, it only goes inbone way. When you slide piston in, the boot will seat itself. Make sure you turn the piston while pushing it in or you can damage it.

As long as you dont mess with the e-brake assembly in the caliper, you will be fine. That was a PITA when I had my calipers powder coated.

According to the post above I should be able to get them out by working the parking brake. Then it's replacing the boot, screwing them back in, reassembly and bleeding the damned system.

Harbor Freight sells a kit with a bunch of adapters to turn in rear calipers.

I rented the tool from AutoZone.

mrose75

Established Member
Delayed update. For anyone looking for this in the future, the steps in the link above worked perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread