Need help with rim size and tires

Islandcat

Established Member
Guys,

I searched the forum for my answer but now my head hurts. Anyway, I want to know if it is ok to run a 315 size on the rear without having to make any modifications to the rear end. Also, if I can fit that size, what size rim do I need to run so that I don't have any bulge at all. 10.5 wide? Any advice would be appreciated

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Here's a thread I posted on fitting 315s. Offset is critical with a 35 aspect ratio and lowered rear. My offset with widened stock wheels to 11" was 69mm. I had some rubbing in the inside wheel well. I used a 1/4" spacer which made it a 62mm offset. I still had some minor rubbing so I went with a 3/8 spacer (59mm offset). I got some minor rubbing on the inside of the outer wheel well on full compression of the suspension, but no inside rubbing.

I went back to the 1/4" spacer and used a body hammer to get additional clearance in the spots where it was rubbing. It didn't take much. I'm running Michelin Pilot Super Sports which are wide at the cross section. If I had to do it over again, I'd have widened the wheel to 10.5". That would eliminate the spacer and cut the cross section of the tire down a slight amount.

The offsets I posted here are based on calculated values based on the OEM offset of 50mm. I haven't actually measured it.

Islandcat

Established Member
Ok thanks guys, I don't have a lowered car, and I think I will just get my factory rims widened. Looks like I can just go with a 10.5 and fit a 315 on it. I guess in this situation I would have to run spacers, or that won't be necessary?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
What year model and what rims do you have? Do you know the stock offset?

RLB01

Established Member
Have an 07 with stock rims widened to 11" out back running 315/40/18 NTO5s. Bolts right up with no spacers needed.

Islandcat

Established Member
Thanks rlbo1. That's what I am looking for. Yes I have stock 09 rims, sorry I didn't disclose that. Also thanks ericmuscle for the pan hard bar comment. Didn't realize I would need that

Kewlv8

Established Member
Guys,

I searched the forum for my answer but now my head hurts. Anyway, I want to know if it is ok to run a 315 size on the rear without having to make any modifications to the rear end. Also, if I can fit that size, what size rim do I need to run so that I don't have any bulge at all. 10.5 wide? Any advice would be appreciated

I have my 2009 lowered, have stock 18inch SVT rims widened to 10.50 in the rear, Running Toyo TQ 315/35/18 - a perfect fit and look. No bulge,no Rub, plenty of clearance. Let me know if you have any Q?s.

315ss.jpg

315s-2.jpg

Islandcat

Established Member
Kewlv8, that looks badass. Where did you send yours to get widened? Is it a pain in the ass and expensive to go that route?

Kewlv8

Established Member
Kewlv8, that looks badass. Where did you send yours to get widened? Is it a pain in the ass and expensive to go that route?

It was very simple to do. I told them to widen to 10.75 to minimize the risk of rubbing. The wheels were done by Weldcraft, and I like their work. The guys that balanced them said the modified wheels balanced better than the Stock SVT wheels we used on the front. It was $235.00 per wheel to add from 1 to 3 inches to the inside of those wheels, and took about 3 weeks.

I would suggest that you make sure if you really want the stockers back on, or want to sell the stock wheels and change to a different wheel before you make this decision.

I really like the 18s in terms of tire choice, tire cost, and drive-ability, so I have no doubt on that decision.

Enjoy.

Note: Lowered using SVT suspension kit, no issues with Rubbing, Etc...... I like it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread