Need help with window motor

DravenGSX

Established Member
Hi all.. I'm new here and I need help.

Car is a '99 Cobra Vert.

It has had intermittent trouble with the windows on the passenger side going up. Looks like the front passenger window finally gave up today as it's stuck down. I took the panel off and unbolted the power window motor. I can't get it out however because the window is all the way down and there is no room to work. Is there any way that I can manually get the window up? I tried pulling it up, but it isn't budging. Can I crank it up somehow?

Any other tips?

Thanks.

RoyWoods

Established Member
Let me begin by saying I've never messed with the Cobra window regulators, but unfortunately I had the opportunity to get a fair amount of experience on our BMW. It was common knowledge on it, that it wasn't "if" your regulator would go bad, it was "when." I replaced 3 of the 4.

Anyway, usually the window itself will be secured to the window regulator (the mechanical thing/motor contraption that makes the window go up and down) somehow. The BMW had 2 or 3 nuts that kept it attached. Once you removed those, you could lift the glass portion up and out of the way. You then had to get really creative to get the regulator contraption out, b/c obviously you don't want to scratch the window, cut up your arm, etc. I'd just keep looking around in there with a flashlight and you should see something that looks it needs to come undone to help release the window itself. Good luck.

DravenGSX

Established Member
Thanks. I did figure it out. There are two bolts that need to be loosened to release the motor and then it literally falls to the bottom of the door.

Unfortunately, it looks like that's not my problem. Took the motor to the local Advance Auto Parts and hooked it up to a battery and it turns like it's supposed to in both directions. Back out to the car and hook it to the harness and it only turns down and not up. So there is a switch problem somewhere I guess.

Both switches don't work. Anybody have any thoughts as to what it could be? I'm lost and frustrated now.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Try replacing the switches with ones that do work.

My door lock/unlock buttons didn't work when I first bought my car. two $15 switches later and I was all set.

RoyWoods

Established Member
FWIW, on my Chevrolet truck the power window switch on the passenger side of the truck went out one time. However, I could still make the window go up and down from the driver side switch. I eventually bought a new switch (something like $40 :eek: ), and it fixed the problem.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
DravenGSX said:
Both switches don't work. If the passenger switch gives up the ghost will that stop the driver's side switch from working?

Maybe. Which set of switches? The front set or back?

Where in Orlando are you?

DravenGSX

Established Member
It's the front passenger side window that doesn't go up, regardless of which switch I use. The rear passenger side has had problems, but never lasted more than a minute.

$40 for a switch!? Ouch!

I'm in Winter Garden. Are you in Central Florida?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread