Need Input On Pulling Motor

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah I'm thinking detach the trans and leave bell housing alone and pull from top with the face plate if I can get ahold of one

I ran a boat into one of the bell housing holes and thru one of the holes in the front of the block, I can’t remember. I used one of those crank style devices you can use to balance the weight one direction or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Something like this is what I used.

1b09133a638da7ff9426a81e3f10957c.jpg

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Ziplock bags, painters tape, sharpie! Take tons of pictures and label everything! If it takes you a year before putting it back you will have pictures and labels to go back on. Trans bolts-ziplock bag, header bolts-bag,ect. It takes only a little extra time but saves your bacon on the re-install(or worst case having to pay someone to put it back together)

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Ziplock bags, painters tape, sharpie! Take tons of pictures and label everything! If it takes you a year before putting it back you will have pictures and labels to go back on. Trans bolts-ziplock bag, header bolts-bag,ect. It takes only a little extra time but saves your bacon on the re-install(or worst case having to pay someone to put it back together)

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

And pictures, plenty of pictures! Solid advice here. That’s exactly what I did. Bagged and marked everything.

32ValveStang

Established Member
Will do guys thanks for the input and I'll be updating you guys this weekend with pics and see once I pull cover off what flew out lol

32ValveStang

Established Member
If you don't have one, get a wrench like this for removing one of the bolts that holds the power steering pump:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-10-mm-Flex-Head-Ratcheting-Combination-Wrench-HFRW10MM/202942515

I've always pushed the hoods to 90 degrees when I pull the engines. Plenty of room to get everything out that way. For the T56 I unbolt the trans from the bellhousing, but leave the bellhousing connected to the engine when I pull and install it. It's easier to deal with the starter and such with the engine out IMO.

I would pull the blower and lower intake and then use a load leveler bolted to the heads. You can pick on up at Harbor Freight relatively cheap.
I'm guessing you just unbolted the trans from bell housing and left it in place right? Like you didn't drain trans fluid to pull out drive shaft to move it backwards away from motor right? Cause I know the two top bolts I need to reach will be a pain.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm guessing you just unbolted the trans from bell housing and left it in place right? Like you didn't drain trans fluid to pull out drive shaft to move it backwards away from motor right? Cause I know the two top bolts I need to reach will be a pain.

I pulled the trans from the bell housing. That gave me enough room to reach the bolts by tilting the engine toward the back of the car. I drained the transmission fluid because it will run out the tail shaft if you don’t.

hotcobra03

Established Member
If you remove shifter boot you can get to bolts on bell that are hard to reach

long extensions 1/2 drive also will help

drive shaft can be removed without draining trans

some fluid may come out.

on my 03 I’ve done tob many times
I just drop the rear and leave shaft in trans and slide it back as I only need a little room to work

some other notes,

radiator will come out with fan attached.
Cover ac condenser with card board
Your elbows will be happy

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
any auto parts store should have a small red plug that will fit the transmission tailshaft perfectly, that way you can move it around and tilt it without leaking

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I dropped the trans. Once it's unbolted it's easy to get out. I drained mine, but it was due for a change anyway. You can get a plug as mentioned for the tailshaft.

32ValveStang

Established Member
If you remove shifter boot you can get to bolts on bell that are hard to reach

long extensions 1/2 drive also will help

drive shaft can be removed without draining trans

some fluid may come out.

on my 03 I’ve done tob many times
I just drop the rear and leave shaft in trans and slide it back as I only need a little room to work

some other notes,

radiator will come out with fan attached.
Cover ac condenser with card board
Your elbows will be happy
Yeah I was just thinking leaving trans in place along with drive shaft. Just don't want to do more work if not needed.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Yeah I was just thinking leaving trans in place along with drive shaft. Just don't want to do more work if not needed.

I left mine in when pulling engine.

I had pulled heads first before pulling,

I had pulled heads off and sent to machine shop so pulling was easier but did Install complete with blower ,

Did mine all old school. Had no tools and head bill was enough.

Tree branch , come along ,chain
Straight up.

Push car backwards than lowered engine to a stand.

Did engine work than reversed.

Wasn't bad .
Pulled on Friday drove to work Monday

32ValveStang

Established Member
OK I'll be sure to do that but now I have another issue I ran into, trying to unbolt the blower from top but rails are in the way. I'll upload pics tomorrow. Looks like a shit show to be honest. Only have a few hours after coming home from work to work on it so it'll be some time before pulling it out.

Sent from my SM-G973U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
OK I'll be sure to do that but now I have another issue I ran into, trying to unbolt the blower from top but rails are in the way. I'll upload pics tomorrow. Looks like a shit show to be honest. Only have a few hours after coming home from work to work on it so it'll be some time before pulling it out.

The rails shouldn't be in the way if you're pulling the blower and lower intake as one unit. I just installed a whipple on my buddies car last weekend with Fore rails and they weren't in the way.

32ValveStang

Established Member
Here's the pics. The arrows are pointing to two allen bolts that are holding throttle cable and cruise cable on top of blower. One picture shows the driver side fuel rail.
20210311_201159.jpeg
20210311_200547.jpeg
20210311_200620.jpeg

Attachments

• 20210311_200458.jpeg
    20210311_200458.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 80

Users who are viewing this thread