Need Recommendation for AutoCross Improvement

Brute

Established Member
If you are like me, you always like to improve and develop the discipline to apply correct driving techniques.

I started doing AutoCross to get more seat time and to learn better vehicle control, braking, throttle control, and the like to prepare me for the big tracks. I viewed it merely as a training experience. It was only a means to an end. Now, I am getting competitive feelings in AutoCross. Who would have guessed?

I have not done AutoCross with anyone except BMW San Diego (with a large Miata population, with a number of Porsches and Corvettes), which have tracks that have general track times of 70 plus to 110 seconds in the San Diego Stadium/Qualcomm parking lot. I am usually the only Mustang. Typically there are 1 or 2 slaloms, a few boxes, and other obstacles. THERE ARE NO STRAIGHT LINES FOR PRACTICAL PURPOSES. We are NOT allowed to walk the track. Instead, instructors usually drive us around the track the first time, driving fast. (I think that they drive fast because they want to practice because the instructors are one group who compete with each other for best posted times. I don't think it does the passenger much good to see and learn the track at break-neck speed for the first run). I have asked the instructors to ride in the passenger seat while I drive the track slow the first time, asking the instructor where are the two difficult parts of the tracks. The instructors have been very helpful, but some times give different advice on how to attack a certain portion of the track.

I am always in 2nd gear with a 3.55 transmission. I will be getting 315s on all 4 corners when I wear out my 295s.

With AutoCross, the track is never the same, so it is not like memorizing lines and brake points at Willow or Fontana.

At any rate, after watching a YouTube video on slalom techniques, I have put a slalom course on a quiet road after work to memorize turn in points and how close I can get to the pylons with my GT500. It helped. I some times try to identify the edge of the car, using the BOT dots on the freeway when there is no other traffic.

But when there are only AutoCross events once a month, it is harder to improve. I would like to watch videos on YouTube to find the right techniques for the standard patterns on a course, but I feel like I have hit a wall. In addition, there is contradiction regarding style and technique. The instructors are uniform in saying that my horsepower and weight are burdens, with one instructor commenting to the contrary that he liked how my mustang handled.

When it is my turn to pick up cones on the track, I try to find how better drivers attack certain portions of the track. But I cannot attack the track turn and brake points like a Miata or a Mini Cooper.

As it is, I am doing well for 7 events. I feel that I am only a few techniques away from doing very well, but it is frustrating to let seconds get lost needlessly. Given the amount of seat time, I am not far behind the "race only" M3s and some Miatas, I think.

Here is my progression for all classes (with the winner being a race only Miata, a GTR Porsche, etc.) regardless of vehicle class, with my Buddy being a very experienced motorcycle racer/BMW driver who has been driving AutoCross for many years (E36 BMW totally stripped down to race but with tires he says are not the best). My buddy usually places 3rd or 4th in the BMW M Modified Group:

First Race 8-10-13:
Winner: 86.42
Buddy: 91.381
Me: 100.42 (Top 68% - OEM Tires)

Second Race 10-9-13:
Winner: 76.588
Buddy: 81.999
Me: 88.367 (Top 74% - OEM Tires)

Third Race 11-9-13:
Winner: 87.315
Buddy: 92.893
Me: 97 (Top 60% - Testing Old Nitto 275s)

Fourth Race 12-15-13:
Winner: 69.296
Buddy: 75.948
Me: 77.619 (Top 49% 295 R888)

Fifth Race 3-2-14 (Rain and very wet course --- I had to wear a poncho while picking up cones)
Winner: 78.505
Buddy: 84.788
Me: 86.235 (Top 47% 295 R888)

Sixth Race 4-27-14
Winner: 74.824
Buddy: 77.901
Me: 80.294 (Top 36% - R888s)

Seventh Race 5-31-14
Winner (A guy who had a track only stripped Miata with Hoosier 295s --- wow --- on all 4 corners), beating the next best time of 87.063, by 4 seconds): 83.108
Buddy: 93.527
Me: 94.774

I am a "no excuses" kind of guy, so I want to do well regardless of vehicle class, regardless of what I am driving or what others are driving. I know that sounds a bit extreme, but I suspect that if I master this car and the techniques, I can be in the hunt with the best times at Qualcomm.

Yeah, I love my car.

Anybody have some practical ideas to practice and improve?

Thank you.

mavisky

Established Member
I'd try and run with the local SCCA chapter or NASA chapter as they will allow pre-walks as well as have more structured classes to help you compare your times. The biggest thing for me was the realization that when it came to an event like autocross, I was simply in the wrong platform to be competitive. Some cars excel at dodging cones through tight turns below 60mph, unfortunately I don't know that a 3,900lb rwd car with 600hp is the best option for this event. If you take that attitude and just focus on improving I think you'll do just fine but a GT500 on an autocross is about as out of place as a Miata at a standing mile runway event. As for improving your times, in the end nothing will beat seat time and there are a couple of schools out there ready and willing to give you top notch training.

My old racecar that was horribly outclassed.
7035_144358916454_857546_n_zps89266b4e.gif

Brute

Established Member
Thank you, Mavisky. That is good advice. I also liked your Miata analogy on a drag strip. I think the analogy also applies on bigger tracks.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
The key for me, on slaloms was not to concentrate on the "side" of the cone, but rather the "back" of the cone, if you pass the cone closely with the side of your car you are turning in too late, you want to "graze" the back quarter of the cone..hope that makes sense..if not pm me and we'll work it out.

jpmotorsport

JPMoSpo
Established Member
"Not allowed to walk the course" ? What kind of racket are they running over there at that CCA... :)

I'm in the same boat as you trying to improve but I am not the only S197 Coyote there; there's a 2014 that beats me 2-4 secs at least.

But the best advice I've read (at least I hope so) is to not focus on strictly your results at first but your performance/execution. The moment.

I don't think it's worth worrying about something you can't really change like the competition but work on something you can,

like seat time. SoCal is one of the biggest SCCA chapters, I hear they do it year round (we end in Nov here in NYC and that's when I'm hoping my all-seasons come into their own!). But I guess i'm lucky here in that at least one group in the area (NYPCA, NY BMWCCA, NNJR SCCA, NYR SCCA, NJPCA, etc) is having an event each weekend in the summer.

I'm debating evoschool or the local motorsports NE school to help me put corners together well for a more a fluid driving execution...

mgsullivan

The Red Brick
Established Member
The potential here in SoCal to autocross is at least two to three weekends a month every month.

Users who are viewing this thread