Need recommendations for travel in FL

JJackson515

Established Member
My gf and I will be visiting FL in early May for vacation and will be staying at a friends beach house in Daytona Beach. Long story short we will be there a day earlier then they will be and would like to explore FL a little bit. We fly into Orlando and will have the whole afternoon /night open. Were not afraid to travel 3.5 hours or so to get somewhere that's a "must see". We've pondered going as far as West Palm Beach, or shoot over to Clearwater to see the Gulf. A scenic drive would be a plus, the beach, along with a decent night scene for the "older folks". We're in our late 20's if that matters. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to go and must see things?

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Chase the sun. Sunrise at Daytona sunset in the Gulf. Done it a million times with girls and it's a pantry dropper.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
A1A if your in Daytona.[ I like the ride to Flagler and beyond] for North bound
27 from around Orlando.[ a little drive west will get you there]
If you're going to WPB from Orlando take 192 to 441 [ or 95 but once you hit Palm beach County it gets ugly]
Or 91 south bound to Okeechobee and go around the Lake's west side.
Or follow Virtual's advice.
Have fun

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
St Augustine is a good day visiter and is about 1 to 1.5 hours north of daytona..easy drive....there is also a Gander Mountain there and some very nice outlet stores for your girl. Pretty neat places to eat also..i like The Raintree and look up a place called The Ice Plant..you will like it trust me.... New Smyrna beach is a good place to visit also which is about 30 minutes south of daytona. Not really a lot to do like St Augustine but a nice downtown and its...well a neat little surf town. Places like The Garlic are great to eat at with great atmosphere. There are some good restaurants also in Daytona to remember. The Grind Gastro Pub, 31 supper club is popular but never been there myself, and some great seafood places right on the water (inlet harbor, down the hatch etc etc).

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
I'd also like to know. We'll be flying into Tampa mid-May and staying for a week in Treasure Island/Clearwater/St.Petersburg. Getting married on the beach! Still need to find some cool and fun stuff to do

Kevins89notch

Established Member
My gf and I will be visiting FL in early May for vacation and will be staying at a friends beach house in Daytona Beach. Long story short we will be there a day earlier then they will be and would like to explore FL a little bit. We fly into Orlando and will have the whole afternoon /night open. Were not afraid to travel 3.5 hours or so to get somewhere that's a "must see". We've pondered going as far as West Palm Beach, or shoot over to Clearwater to see the Gulf. A scenic drive would be a plus, the beach, along with a decent night scene for the "older folks". We're in our late 20's if that matters. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to go and must see things?

Siesta Key or Clearwater beach are both amazing. Sugar soft sands as white as flour and nice warm water. Although, after going there, you'll hate the beach in Daytona.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I'd also like to know. We'll be flying into Tampa mid-May and staying for a week in Treasure Island/Clearwater/St.Petersburg. Getting married on the beach! Still need to find some cool and fun stuff to do

A fun day trip would be up to Tarpon Springs. Without even looking, I think maybe a 30-45 minute drive. Tarpon Springs has the highest percentage of Greek Americans of any city in the US. They are big on sponge farming. Their little downtown area has plenty of shops, and greek restaurants. You can pay a fee(I don't remember) and go on a seashell boat trip out to some smaller island and roam around for 30 minutes or so. I think they probably have other boat type trips, maybe like dolphin spotting or manatees.

YJSONLY

Established Member
Lollipops. Lol

St Augustine for historic stuff.
Daytona 500 museum tour thing is neat. Could also do a ride there too.

Imo if you are at Daytona there is no need to drive to gulf unless you just want to or to say that you did.....

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Blue springs or Silver springs state park are pretty cool places to visit. Central Florida has some amazing places to canoe, kayak, or swim/snorkel. If you're into fishing look into a guided red drum/ trout trip in the Tampa area. Sight fishing red fish can't be defeated. I agree with a lot of what's already been said, just throwing some other stuff out there.

Felix C

Established Member
If you are historical minded then St. Augustine with the old Spanish City and the Fort San Marcos to visit(latter is closed on Sundays I believe) Then head out on the beach- great restaurant there Sunset Grill right off A1A. Then head down to Mataznas Beach for more older fortifications-reconstructed.

Jax is a dirty city. Nothing worthwhile otherwise in between Jax and Daytona. Well my opinion but I traveled the entire area(entire State actually) weekly on business for years.

Gainesville to Orlando is nothing to see in my opinion. Orlando is just a city like any other except for the theme parks and many restaurants. Ybor City outside of Tampa is nice and very New Orleans like(one block only)
There is Burns Steakhouse in Tampa, 2nd best steak house in the USA. Very romantic dessert room.

I guess you are doing Spring Break at Daytona as otherwise it is a shabby little town.

There are tours of the Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral if you enjoy that.

Florida coastal is nice beaches, weather and food variety. More of a lay back and enjoy during the day and then club at night.

Well my opinion.

Last edited:

JJackson515

Established Member
what are some good downtown district / bar areas in st petersburg, clearwater, sarasota or tampa. just looking for some bars within walking distance from a hotel we can get for the night. looking for some beach bars as well

Last edited:

Ibleedblue13

Established Member
If you are historical minded then St. Augustine with the old Spanish City and the Fort San Marcos to visit(latter is closed on Sundays I believe) Then head out on the beach- great restaurant there Sunset Grill right off A1A. Then head down to Mataznas Beach for more older fortifications-reconstructed.

Jax is a dirty city. Nothing worthwhile otherwise in between Jax and Daytona. Well my opinion but I traveled the entire area(entire State actually) weekly on business for years.

Gainesville to Orlando is nothing to see in my opinion. Orlando is just a city like any other except for the theme parks and many restaurants. Ybor City outside of Tampa is nice and very New Orleans like(one block only)
There is Burns Steakhouse in Tampa, 2nd best steak house in the USA. Very romantic dessert room.

I guess you are doing Spring Break at Daytona as otherwise it is a shabby little town.

There are tours of the Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral if you enjoy that.

Florida coastal is nice beaches, weather and food variety. More of a lay back and enjoy during the day and then club at night.

Well my opinion.

Just about sums it up perfectly OP. St. Augustine is probably your best bet if you are looking to sight see. If you just want to relax by the beach they get progressively more "tropical" the further south you go. I'm in Palm Beach and the beaches here are fantastic.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
what are some good downtown district / bar areas in st petersburg, clearwater, sarasota or tampa. just looking for some bars within walking distance from a hotel we can get for the night. looking for some beach bars as well

I'm far from an expert on the scene but I have been to St Petersburg twice in the last year so I can share what I did -

Ybor City is worth checking out in Tampa - it's a historical district with a lot of entertainment and culture

Beach Dr in St Petersburg is worth checking out as well, it's right on Tampa Bay. I've only been out at the Birchwood - it has a sweet patio bar and I've ate at 400 Beach Seafood and it was pretty good

As far as beach bars, Caddy's on the Beach in St. Petersburg is a cool spot with good food and I've heard good things about Jimmy B's but never been there. I'm sure there are plenty others that are good too, checkout Trip Advisor for reviews before you check out any place.

The boardwalk on Madeira Beach is a fun place to checkout as well with a bunch of shops, bars, restaurants, and be sure to get some taffy there too.

Let me know if you need more advice, I could ask my buddy who lives there.

Sirraf

Established Member
Beaches in Tampa Bay area are the best ones in the solid part of Florida. The Southern Keys would be my first choice but I know they are overflowing with blue hairs. Lots to do in Tampa...I lived there for a while.

JasonSnake

Established Member
You'll enjoy downtown St Pete. Go checkout Vinoy Park. Quite a few restaurants, bars and a Muvico theater/plaza in that area. The park by the water is awesome too.

Users who are viewing this thread