Need some input on my problems

mustangmike01

Established Member
Need some helping. I have an idea what it could be but I'm hopping it's not. This is what happened and what I have done so fare. I was full out, I was going through the gears, I was in the top of 3rd when i lost all power and so one. The motor was still running. At first I though the motor blow but all the read outs on the gauges were all fine. Pulled over to check it out and my metco idler sheared right off and was laying in the fender. So I replaced it with the whipple adjustable one with a new belt. 40 miles later the alternator dead. Replaced it, then I pull the car out of the garage and let it warm up. I then put my foot on the clutch and the throwout bearing sleeve cracked and i replaced it with a new stronger one. The clutch still looked new and the flywheel looked worn so I replace it with a new one. I started driving the car again and it stared eating belts every 50 miles. Ended up taking it to a shop and having them check the pulleys with a alignment tool and a lazier. Turned out the alternator bracket was bend bad. I had it shimmed to make it perfected again. Now with in the 300 miles the belt is squealing again. The belt tensioner is right on and the belt is not slipping. and all the bearings in the idlers are all good. Now at the same time, I have been having a hard time getting it into gear at wide up, 50/50. Now it's full lockout in any gear if I"m at 50% throttle or more and the rpms are over 4k. If the rpms drop to 3.5k it goes right into gear with no problems. What I see, is the crank has a little wobble to it, not sure if that is normal or not. I can't remember. This has all happened in 500 miles and I'm thinking the crank bent or almost broke and instead of it fully failing it took out the idler and the crank is walking on me. I really hope this is not the case. Setup is 4 lb lower with 3 metco idlers and one whipple adjustable with a rr 2.8 sc.

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Hard to say from your description but I think you’d have a lot more problems than a visible wobble if the crank was bent

I’d say get under the car and check overdrive pulley bolts are tight and see if the stock crank pulley is separating (the outer ring ring is attached to the center via bonded rubber if like other mod motors). You’d be able to see if the outer ring is walking. The wobble could explain belt chirp as well

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
IMO you have a couple different issues and neither are related to each other.

For the idler I've seen/heard of the bolts failing. Things get old and we tend to be hard on parts. More so if you're running a really tight belt. What belt are you running? How new is the tensioner?

Lockout at high RPM is almost always clutch adjustment. Are you running a stock or aftermarket quadrant? What kind of shape was the clutch fork and pivot ball in when you pulled it all apart?

I think if your crank was bent you'd be seeing issues with oil pressure soon. And glittery oil when you drain it. Depending on how bad it's bent at least.

Last edited:

mustangmike01

Established Member
Well figured it out. Its the inner belt. The water pump it leaking when she's running and leaking onto the crank and rusting it when it site for a couple of days.

I'm running the oem pump right now. Anything better out there these days? Seems like edelbrock makes one?

Clutch was a stuck cable. Seems like it got stuck fully out. Disconnected it and put it back and now it shifts fine no lockout.

CobraSam

Established Member
Glad to see your issue was small and you figured it out. Nice when it turns out not to be a bent crank. Ha
Check out Stewart water pumps. Nice units

Users who are viewing this thread