Need SUV buying advice under 25k/MPG/ Tow the coyote.

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
Looking for suggestions to help narrow down an SUV. Always owned Sedans and sports car so don't know jack about SUVs and in a bit of a hunch for time. Thanks in advance. I'll admit I haven't seen an SUV towing a 11-14 Mustang only trucks.

Top prioritiies

Under 25k
Good MPG
Warranty
2012 and up
Can tow the Coyote

Last edited:

7upstang

Established Member
Your options to me, seem to be limited.

Most SUVs' in the price range will be underpowered and undersized for decent MPG. You'll be pushing a smaller SUV to the limits of their 6K towing range. Not sure where you live, but hills would be a challenge. Plus a nearly 4K pound car would need a light weight trailer.

Not saying your goal is unachievable, however I believe it may be difficult to obtain without one or more goal being lost.

I've seen the Power By the Hour crew tow a coyote car to several NMRA events with their Explorer sport. But Explorer sports don't have the greatest gas mileage from my experience. Perhaps a used Dodge Durango with a V8 might suit the cause.

Blackoyote

Established Member
Sorry, I know this in no way fits your criteria, but...just spend half that budget on a 12 year old Suburban 2500 and offset the shitty MPG with the other $15k you'd be saving. I've been using my Burb a lot for towing and track days lately, and having all that rear cargo area is awesome to say the least - get to sleep on an air bed and save hotel money!

Would a truck be an option, or does it have to be an SUV? You can get higher mileage EB 4x4 F150s in that range.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Seriously...super crew f150 or 250

I ditched my explorer for a 15 f150 screw 5.0....best decision I ever made. More room than the explorer, better mpg and it tows a helluva lot better...and it stops better when towing

I only tow a bassboat and my explorer did ok...my f150 kicks that boats ass

Last edited:

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Not quite What you're looking for but, You can get a very nice 05-07 duramax for that price. Tons of power and over 20mpg.

Last edited:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
You're going to have to change some part of your criteria. The price, years, MPG, and towing ability that you're looking for doesn't exist.

If you're buying a vehicle specifically to tow the car with, get a truck or an SUV based on a truck.

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
Sorry, I know this in no way fits your criteria, but...just spend half that budget on a 12 year old Suburban 2500 and offset the shitty MPG with the other $15k you'd be saving. I've been using my Burb a lot for towing and track days lately, and having all that rear cargo area is awesome to say the least - get to sleep on an air bed and save hotel money!....
Exactly what I'm looking at doing. I can't seem to find a relatively low mile 2500 for a decent price in my area.

I'm also looking at used Nissan Armadas. Surprisingly they seem to have a higher towing capacity, and slightly longer wheelbase than the equivalent Expedition.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Exactly what I'm looking at doing. I can't seem to find a relatively low mile 2500 for a decent price in my area.

I'm also looking at used Nissan Armadas. Surprisingly they seem to have a higher towing capacity, and slightly longer wheelbase than the equivalent Expedition.

As a service advisor at Nissan. Only buy an armada if it has low miles. And they like to rust.

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
Well the only reason I need it to tow the Coyote is in case it blows at the track, so I can do without that for now. I'm Going to look at the Grand Cherokkee, Mazda CX 3, 4 Runner, and Durango tomorrow.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Almost all SUV's now are IRS which is no good for towing. Truck based SUV's are a thing of the past. Get a crew cab and a lockable bed cover and boom, your set and actually have more capability. Only reason not to would be if you need a third row.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Well the only reason I need it to tow the Coyote is in case it blows at the track, so I can do without that for now. I'm Going to look at the Grand Cherokkee, Mazda CX 3, 4 Runner, and Durango tomorrow.

You mean CX-9? In-laws have a 2012 CX-9 Grand Touring AWD and it's a solid ride.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member

Just FYI.... A 16ft car hauler weighs 1,800lbs. Your mustang likely has a wet weight of 3,700lbs. That means you need a vehicle with has a tow capacity of at least 6,000lbs and a max tongue weight of 500lbs or more to haul this load safely. Also, if you plan on taking passengers, extra gear, tools and spare wheels/tires you may as well count on needing 7,000lbs of tow capacity.

That automatically eliminates the Cx3, 4 runner and cherokee which would be well overcapacity. :nono: The hemi dodge durango is the best option out of the vehicles you listed but even it isnt ideal and you can expect single digit mpgs while towing.

Basically, the vehicle you are looking under the criteria in your original post doesnt exist.

The only 2012 and up SUVs that can reliably and safely pull over 6,000lbs are the chevy suburban/gmc yukon, toyota sequoia. Good luck finding any of these still in warranty for $25k. Ford excursion with 7.3L would have been an excellent choice but these went out of production over a decade ago.

Your best bet is to get a full size supercrew pickup from any of the big 3. You still have passenger space, plenty of tow capacity and a bed cover will keep your gear dry.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
You can find 2011+ Durango R/T's can tow quite a bit (Rated at 7,200LBS) for your price range with lower miles. May not be a fully decked out model, but, it will work.

I average 15-17 MPG in my '16 R/T on the street and closer to 20-22 MPG on the highway.

Once you add the tow package, the towing capacity doesn't change, but, you get a class IV receiver hitch, Heavy duty engine cooling, rear load leveling shocks and a 7-4 pin wiring harness.

The GCVWR is 13,100LBS, so, you can add weight to your Durango, and then only tow the difference. The Durango's weigh in around 5,300LBS, so, you've got about 500LBS to add in for tools and what not.

Another great option is finding an older beater truck, like an F-250 in good shape as that will do the job, but, not give you the best MPG.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
If you relax your model year standard a WK Grand Cherokee CRD like mine would work well. There aren't many of them out there but the ones you find will be well under your budget. Towing capacity is 7400 lbs and the diesel gets pretty awesome mpg, with the GDE Eco tune I usually average 20 city, 26 highway, and 23 blended on my daily commute to work. I have had zero issues with it the last 2.5 years and 40k miles. The wife and I are about to take it on a 5500 mile road trip in just over 3 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread