Need tires input please.

Trainman

Established Member
I just ordered a set of 18.9 and 18.10's for my cobra. I looking for a street tire that will hook and handle well. I do not drive in the rain or dd my car. Right now the car is 401rwhp stock. However, I just added headers and a o/r midpipe and catback. I don't know my numbers yet, should find out today. I can get nitto555r 305/35/18 for the rear and nitto555 275/35/18 for the front, $998 shipped to my door installed and balanced. What do you guys think? I was hoping to run a wider tire in the rear.

cltgt

Life is a drag race
Established Member
Great choice. I am considering the same thing as soon as I can confirm the rear fender does not need to be rolled....

04SVTSNK

18s

I have 10.5 inch 18s on the back of my 04 cobra with an IRS. I did need a spacer and had to make sure the brake cable was out of the way. It rubbed at first.

best 60 ft was 1.7.
Best time is 11.2 at 120MPH
BFG Drag Radial 315/30 on the back.

Car made over 550rwhp with a 4r70w automatic.

I have BFG drag radials. I am at the point where I am going to 15s now. For the street the 18s are great. The rear tire does rub when taking hard turns. It doesnt rub at all when launching.

Jroc

Established Member
I have 18x10.5 and 18x9 wheels and run Falken Azenis RT615's and like them.(275/35/18 fronts and 315/30/18's rear) Their a good tire that handles well and does a decent job of hooking up.
http://vulcantire.com/azenis_rt615_t.htm

A Toyo R888 is a R compound tire thats streetable and I hear that it hooks up really well, but its main intent is handling. They are expensive and might be too extreme for a car that see's frequent road use. They also only come with a 100 thread wear rating.

Havoc331

Established Member
I have 18x10.5 and 18x9 wheels and run Falken Azenis RT615's and like them.(275/35/18 fronts and 315/30/18's rear) Their a good tire that handles well and does a decent job of hooking up.
http://vulcantire.com/azenis_rt615_t.htm

A Toyo R888 is a R compound tire thats streetable and I hear that it hooks up really well, but its main intent is handling. They are expensive and might be too extreme for a car that see's frequent road use. They also only come with a 100 thread wear rating.

Those tires look good. Do you have any pics of them on the car by chance?

Jroc

Established Member
hpim0186ab.jpg

hpim0196ab.jpg

18x10.5.jpg

Jroc

Established Member
Their holding up pretty good, especially for have only a 200 tread wear rating. Their lasting alot longer than the BFG G-Force KD's that I use to always run.

The only thing is I'm running an ass load of negative camber up front,(you can look at the second picture and tell) and its wearing the inside corner of the front tire pretty good, but thats to be expected when you run a bunch of negative camber.

Most people who use this tire really like it. Many autocross with it and things like that. They work about as good in the rain as say a Nitto 555R, probably a little better. What that means is they'll work in the rain, but you will have to pay more attention and be more careful than you would with say a wet/dry performance tire. With that said I live in the Southeast, and the car is my DD so it see's rain pretty frequently.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread