Need tool list for pulley swap. Help!

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Please list what tools one might need to do the job.

A 1/2" socket breaker bar.

Pulley puller (obviously)

Other stuff? Thanks in advance.

slow lane

proud daddy
Established Member
Box wrenches to turn the nuts on the pulley puller.

A buddy to hold one wrench to keep the thrust nut aligned with the axis of the pulley. Otherwise you'll be digging pieces of the stud that connects the puller to the supercharger out of the both pieces. (Learned that one the hard way - twice).

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by slow lane
A buddy to hold one wrench to keep the thrust nut aligned with the axis of the pulley. Otherwise you'll be digging pieces of the stud that connects the puller to the supercharger out of the both pieces. (Learned that one the hard way - twice).
:lol:
My hubby did the same thing cuz he doesn't want me in the garage when he's wrenching on my car...says it makes him nervous. ;-)

Sly...I'll check with my mechanic tonight and see if he uses anything other than what's mentioned. If it's a special tool, and we have it, you're more than welcome to borrow it.

Poor Todd

Established Member
I'll have to look and see what size box wrench I used...it was a large one. The only tool I used that was different from what was included or "normal" was a hex head socket instead of the included Allen wrench, better for tighening. Oh and of course make sure you read the instructions. I had a slight problem :nonono: I...uh... put the Dub Hub on backwards. :bash: And broke the bolt off in the snout just as I finished putting it on backwards. :fm: Oh well...I fixed it. Runs great now. :thumbsup: And yes...you need a "friend" to help out...you need three hands.

Poor Todd

OverToad

Established Member
My apologies Sly for interjecting here, but maybe those that have used the new PulleyBoys puller would be kind enough to chime in :)

Assuming that the puller being used was the new PulleyBoys puller, and also assuming that a spare parts kit was also ordered, just in case some of the original parts broke, what other tools would be helpful or required?

PulleyBoys advertises that their kit comes with anti-seize, and we know a breaker-bar is obviously needed.

Once my warranty runs out, I'll want to do this swap, so gathering all possible info is always a good thing ;-)

Please fill in the gaps as you see fit :beer:

Last edited:

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Is an 18" long breaker bar the right size?

I can exchange it if not.

slow lane

proud daddy
Established Member
18" will work.

The first few yanks will probably feel like you're going to break something, but once the pulley starts moving, it gets less frightening. As long at the puller is aligned with the blower snout, nothing will break so take out your latest gripes on it for the first few pulls.

stangin

Established Member
I got the pulley boys puller last week and did the swap. A lot easier than I thought, but the wrenching part sucked. I did it by myself, no one to hold the puller from turning. Kind of a pain, but not too bad. I had thought about buying a box end ratcheting wrench for it and I would gladly pay whatever the price is for it if I had to do it again. That was a heck of a lot of wrenching and a box end ratcheting wrench would have been the way to go. Im not sure they make the 15/16" box end ratcheting wrench though. The pulley boys puller is not as bright and pretty as the website shows, but is quite functional. It came with the antiseize and some spare parts. Took me about an hour and a half, but was messing around and coming back to it. I did not need a breaker bar, I just used a 1/2" ratchet and a cheater bar slipped over the handle of the ratchet to remove the belt. I could not get the old belt out so I had to loosen the idler pulley to squeek the belt by, only three 10mm bolts and I did not remove the bolts, just loosened them most of the way. I also added the billetflow idler pulley while the belt was off, no slipping issues that I can see to date. I went with the Amazon 2.8 pulley. Hope this helps

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Where would the ratcheting wrench be used? To turn the pulley puller bolt??

It looks like only an end wrench would work based on the pics I have seen.

If not then I'll definitely purchase a ratcheting wrench. Saw some very nice ones at Sears today. :)

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
In this post and the next I have posted some pics from one of the install guide posts.

Isn't the bolt we will be turning the one indicated by the red arrow??

If so how would you turn that with anything other than an end wrench??

Last edited:

silvercoffin

Established Member
racerat!

Hey racerat!

What pulley are you running?

Your car runs the time Id like to have mine running...course mines not a vert so with the same mods Ill probably go a little faster...12.0 is my goal!

nice numbers by the way!

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by OverToad
Hehehe.......RaceRat is a sandbagger ;-)
You gonna race me Saturday Toad?;-)

Silvercoffin...Your stock times are better than mine. Best I could get on the F1's was a 12.9. Still haven't managed a good 60ft because of stupid wheel hop.
I'm hoping for 11's next week with a new chip program and the Metco idler to help with belt slip. I'll still hop the first 200 feet though. :rolleyes:

Mods on that run were: Magnaflow Catted X, MAC 3" catback, 2.93 upper/4lb lower, Diablo chip, K&N drop in filter, Nitto DR's (with no burnout :mj: ).

silvercoffin

Established Member
hey

Why no burnout with the NItto?

Just wondering cause I was afraid at first after frying clutch number one..i was afraid to do a burnout, but it was 50 degrees out and with the Nittos and no burnout I had even less traction than on my F1s..

I dont know why I have so much trouble with burnouts in this car. I one foot the gas and brake...something about the level of the pedals makes it hard compared to my old GT. I smoked my second clutch as well screwing around tryin to get a good burnout pic. Luckily at the track I havent made a fool out of myself....YET

I think line locks are in my future.

oh and THANKS I ran my best ever 12.7 at Etowns Import vs domestic event.. heads up against some weird lookin BMW.....Looked like a weird little roadster with a fat ass heheh forget what model,,he ran a 13.1 in it though. It was my favorite victory so far!

Other than that 12.7 I had a bunch of 12.9s...my goal was to run some 12s before putting on the Nittos...

NOw im thinking I should be able to get down to 12.46 if I can get my 60 ft to 1.80 which according to what ive been hearing is very possible. What do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread