Svt_lover

Established Member
So a dealership about two hours from me has an 03 Redfire Cobra, 37k miles, 2 owners (father and son), clean carfax no accidents, and 100% bone stock.
Took my 97 Cobra (65k miles pacific green, mint condition, barely modded) down to look at doing a trade in. Left the dealership on a test drive and 500' out of the lot the clutch cable broke. Me and a buddy i had brought with me pushed the car to get it moving so i could pop it into first and drove it back. (funny story for a later day)
After assessing any other things on the car, it has mild rock chips on the hood, cracked 3rd brake light (who would've guessed right?) some paint fade on the decklid, and may be approaching a bushing service in the irs.
All that being said they originally were asking 23k for the car.
They offered me 9k for my car and brought the price of the cobra down to 21 something and offered me their shop to do the repair work myself, based on it being an acura dealership, their techs wouldn't touch that car with a ten foot pole, and me being an ase tech they were all for me doing the repair myself.
My total pay-off after the discounts should come out at about 12k on top of my car.

Should I do it?

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Do it and don’t look back I say. However I’d do a compression test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
That's what i was thinking. I'd use that shop time to the fullest lol

Pacific green is a bad ass color. I love the looks of the 96-98 Cobra’s. I came from an 01 Cobra to my 04 Cobra I don’t regret it at all. I know there is always gonna be faster cars but it’s a blast to drive it.

Svt_lover

Established Member
Pacific green is a bad ass color. I love the looks of the 96-98 Cobra’s. I came from an 01 Cobra to my 04 Cobra I don’t regret it at all. I know there is always gonna be faster cars but it’s a blast to drive it.

I love the pacific green but its been a life dream to own a Terminator, so this opportunity seems a little idiotic to pass up.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I love the pacific green but its been a life dream to own a Terminator, so this opportunity seems a little idiotic to pass up.

If I was you and compression test went good. I’d do it in a heartbeat. I don’t regret my decision at all.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Either way you trade, or don't, that's an unusually low asking price for a reasonably low mile stock Cobra. They usually shoot for the moon on these cars.
I'd throw down 21.5 cash & see if they bite.

Svt_lover

Established Member
Either way you trade, or don't, that's an unusually low asking price for a reasonably low mile stock Cobra. They usually shoot for the moon on these cars.
I'd throw down 21.5 cash & see if they bite.
Well based on what the manager there was telling me, he's playing across two markets because of it being at a dealership where you would not expect to see one. Pretty sure i've got them wrapped around my finger now seeing how it's "broken." I also have the irrelevant to market blue book value under my belt as a negotiator for "good condition" being about 19-20k.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Well based on what the manager there was telling me, he's playing across two markets because of it being at a dealership where you would not expect to see one. Pretty sure i've got them wrapped around my finger now seeing how it's "broken." I also have the irrelevant to market blue book value under my belt as a negotiator for "good condition" being about 19-20k.
Sounds like the ball is in your court.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You should have a bit more wiggle room on the price because the dealer is not having to make the repair(s) on the '03. I'd tell them max of $21K since you're making the repairs. And then make good use of their shop time by giving the car a really thorough going over. If you find any other repair issues, you may as well get them done while you have shop access. JMO.

Svt_lover

Established Member
I talked to the main guy i was dealing with at the dealership again this morning. I told him where i wanted to be with payments and financing ( i have absolute zero credit history, and I am a part time college student ) but we're working finding a solution right now.
He had a sad chuckle this morning when i said " it's gonna be pretty hard to sell a broken car, isn't it?"

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I think the price is right at 21K. My only advice is make sure the deal is done BEFORE you fix it LOL. Sure would suck for you to repair the car for them and you NOT end up with the car.

Users who are viewing this thread