Need your expert advise please

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
https://www.kuyothbody.com/details/used-2008-ford-shelby-gt500/56899994

I'm seriously considering buying the car in the link above but not sure if it's worth the price. SS seem to come in lots of different prices even if it's the same year and about the same mileage so trying to find a baseline price for one has proven to be a bit difficult.

I've never owned a shelby before but I've been stalking this page daily for about two years now looking for that perfect car (to my personal liking). A Super Snake is my dream car but 07 or 08 are the only years in my price range.

I would love to hear some of your personal opinions and thoughts before I make my decision. Thanks in advance.

Also please let me know if I need to move the post to a different thread.

Nope, I don't see any mention of HP rating...........there is a reason, it is an entry level 6XX HP Super Snake. Originally they were 605HP and since this is an early number build, I would say it is a 605. It is the 725's that are the bigger money Super Snakes, the 605's were not so "super" once the factory offer 662HP from the Ford assy. line.

It doesn't even have the "big brake option" on the rear, just the standard 14" Baer upgrade on the front with the miniature oem single rear caliper and standard Baer Eradispeed rear rotor upgrade. I would guess it probably does not have the Eibach coilover option, since the original owner chose the entry level HP?

^^^^Just my quick glance observations.

The problem is, most GT500 owners "lump" all Super Snakes into one category, but reality is, all Super Snakes are not the same.

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Not a daily driver for sure regardless of the shelby I get. Looking for a car J can keep for a long time.

No it doesn't HAVE to be a SS but the SS is the ultimate shelby is it not.

It is the ultimate "Shelby built" Shelby GT500.

When Ford was at 500HP, the upper end Super Snake was 725/750. When Ford was at 550HP, the Super Snake upper end option was 800. When 662HP came out, the Super Snake moved to 850.

The cooling system and suspension parts that are either standard installs or options for the Super Snake are the same parts that are "Joe Lunchbox" install parts in owners private garages to make their GT500 perform better than it did from the Ford assy. line, the only difference in most cases is the Shelby parts are Shelby engraved/ logoed.

So if these same mods that are installed on a Super Snake do not make it better than the oem GT500 from Ford for a specific year, then we all might as well pull all of the modded parts off of our cars because the mod parts do not make the car stronger/faster than it was "as it came from Ford".

The only difference is........Shelby installed the parts on the Super Snake and it has a CSM number making "1 of a very few" instead of "1 of many" at the car show (or roaming the street).

I do agree that $60K+ is wayyyy too much money for an entry level 605HP Super Snake, the 725's are much more desirable from this era and perform much better than the entry level 6XX.

Just think.........just now Ford/SVT is in the 7XXHP level with the production GT500, 10+ years after Shelby offered this on the Super Snake. I am interested what Shelby will do with the 2020 Super Snake? 950HP? 1000+?

R

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread