Neighbor Drama - Need opinions

01blckcobra

Established Member
Will have to contact state or local laws for easement. Usually up to the actual "property owner" to maintain. Following state / local codes / laws. Basically anything that impedes flow, needs to be address. Other than that you are not bound to anything.
In rare occasion the "user" has to maintain. Again will have to contact state / local, for codes / laws...

08mojo

Established Member
If he's willing to split the cost for someone else to maintain that portion of the property, why not go that route? You hate yard work and have shown that you're responsible for some of the upkeep, since you cut the grass from time to time--take him up on the offer to split the cost!

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
How long have each of you lived there? Is this new or been going on from the beginning?

We've been here almost two years. They moved in half a year later or so.

I do know in the context of the easement, should a tree fall across that's on the easement, the duty of removing said tree is on the owners of the property. We are not responsible, as I've faced this dilemma once already. So my contractual obligation to upkeep is 0.

It comes down to aesthetics. Personally i'm going to file this one away with them as a "no win situation" and move on about my business. His opinion of me means very very little after he's accused me of cutting his christmas lights. He also asked me one time to not start the mustang up on saturday mornings until after 9. I told him Cars and Coffee starts early. He asked me if I could move it. I lol'd and said yea I don't have that kind of control over a public events schedule.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
He also asked me one time to not start the mustang up on saturday mornings until after 9. I told him Cars and Coffee starts early. He asked me if I could move it. I lol'd and said yea I don't have that kind of control over a public events schedule.

People like this can't be reasoned with.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
A few observations.
1. This seems like the beginning of a "Deadly Neighbors" episode on Forensic Files.
2. This is why I don't have neighbors.
3. This is why I would never allow an easement.
4. You are digging yourself into a corner where the only two exits are to capitulate to his demands or stand your ground. You need to find an amicable solution to keep the peace and live a happy life.
5. I think your problem is 1 part you're lazy. 1 part your neighbor is an obnoxious weirdo.
I get it I wouldn't hop on my mower after being told "Today is a good day to do yardwork". I would get a quote to mow it and see if the neighbor is willing to split it. That way you keep the peace. You can do what you want, when you want, the neighbor's property is being maintained and everyone is happy.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
A few observations.
5. I think your problem is 1 part you're lazy.

Lol

When he was staring me down about the yard, I was quite literally (not in order) doing all of this from about 1-8 in the afternoon.
  • Removed a wall out of my kitchen.
  • Unloaded a truckload of drywall and wood by myself
  • Put my GT40p motor and T5 on my stand because the guy dropped it off in the middle it all
  • Cleaned garage just so GT40p/T5 could fit in the garage with hoist
  • Framed the new opening
  • Ran to home depot/bought everything
  • Helped comcast guy hunt down coax issue in the house
  • Skinned the new opening in drywall
  • Started finish work on opening
  • Cleaned the entire kitchen/dining area up of dust/debris
  • Loaded the entire truck up with all of the old drywall/lumber

You can call me lazy if you want though. NBD

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
People like this can't be reasoned with.

exactly, this guy is going to be a PITA no matter what, he's just looking for shit to be upset about.

I would find some subtle ways to scare this guy without actually threatening him. Learn a little Russian and when you are outside and sure he's eavesdropping, act like you just made a call, then loudly speak in Russian and end the call with 'make it happen'...Mad dog this guy when you see him, don't break eye contact till he does first. Smirk a lot.....

Last edited:

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
You're both making a mountain out of a mole hill here. Mow the damn grass once a month or have the two of you alternate months.

I use that saying frequently.

I get that. I feel like I am in a lot of ways. But the underlying issue was the attitude/rude nature of the entire thing. If I say i'm going to do it, I will, just chill out. Don't stand outside toe tapping waiting on me to get it done.

FJohnny

Established Member
It's always best to try to get along with neighbors as many have said. But it's hard to not agree that since it's his property and the situation existed before he bought the place that he's totally responsible for his own property.

Two suggestions:

1) Let him know that you have a really awesome set of tools and that if he buys the plywood you will help him install it over his windows so he does not have to look at the easement.

2) Send him a dated invoice next time you cut the grass for:

Cutting grass and maintenance for property at (His Address)............$100.00
Discount for 'Good Neighbor'...........................................................$ 50.00
_______

Total owing......................................................................................$50.00

Hand him the invoice and thank him for being so good as to realize that you are doing work on his property. Tell him that not all neighbors are as good as him and some might even have continued to try to get the service for free and that you really appreciate his offer to split the cost.

Good luck, you neighbor sounds like a bit of a dick.

PS As far as starting up your car, maybe you could pop a couple of sets of those compressible foam earplugs into his mail box. Nope, bad idea....he'll just try to use your gesture as an admission of guilt. Screw him.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
41XFGxeMngL.jpg

22 bucks on Amazon, you're welcome...

Last edited:

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
I wouldn’t buy a house close enough to a neighbor they can hear me speak. I say a lot of offensive things in person and would not want it repeat, but if it happened that way by chance. I would just split the cost with his weird ass so people dont know exactly what ive been hiding.

Food for thought though is what else has he heard you doing and has his creepy ass been peeping tom around your house.

Coiled03

Established Member
It’s an easement, technically it is not his property, it is still the property of the neighbor, he is just allowed to use it.

I don't see how that changes my answer. If it's the neighbor's property, and OP is maintaining it out of the kindness of his heart, then WTF is the guy bitching about? Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Otherwise, if he doesn't like how OP takes care of it, he can do it himself. Either way, the neighbor needs to STFU.

Users who are viewing this thread