Never seen this before...seeking advice?

T0RCH3D

Established Member
How's it going guys, I need some advice here on what I should do...

IMG_2959_zps6c992417.jpg

I have a 1998 Ford Contour SVT that I bought in February of this year with 100K on the clock. Got the car cheap as a daily beater, but this car has been a nightmare. Went to do front brakes and turns out the ABS module (HCU) was shot and that wasn't a fun project to fix, let alone get parts. Then the trans cable came undone under the shifter. Now this...

...I was leaving for work in the morning, put the car in gear and proceed to take off then I hear a loud pop and immediately let off everything. I wasn't on the gas hardly at all and was in first might I add. I get out the car and see this, and then shut off the car.

IMG_1743_zps99e862e6.jpg

After work I jack up the car and proceed to check underneath to diagnose the issue and come across this:

IMG_6656_zps1bfc7d72.jpg

IMG_6414_zps777ffa52.jpg

The car doesn't goes into all gears and isn't locked out but does not move in any gear. something clearly blew it out. Anyone see anything like this before? And more importantly, its looking like a new trans, rebuild, or sell as is/scrap?

Will I get anything scrapping it or trying to sell as is?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
new tranny time. Auto or manual?

Ive seen that happen to a dsm trans before.

I cant imagine youll get that much for it needing new tranny, maybe $1k-1.5k? Its a CSVT so its gonna hold value better than a base model and im sure people out there want these cars even in need of repair.

Find a tranny on craigslist or something and swap it over. Cant be more than a weekend job.

T0RCH3D

Established Member
Its the manual 5-speed trans. Looking to sell it preferably at this point and would be very happy if I see numbers that high. Worth 3800 in good condition...if time wasn't any issue I might consider doing the job myself. Maybe somebody else would want the project.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
part it out. only way to get your money back is with the original SVTC parts like the exhaust, side skirts, bumpers, interior, intake and such....

other than that, I have said it once and ill say it again. THE WORST CAR EVER BUILT BY FORD MOTOR COMPANY. your lucky it didn't try to kill you. satan made that car.

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
I believe these cars had the same issues the 89-95 SHO's did where one of the differential pins lets go and launches through your transmission case.

Users who are viewing this thread