New 2018 Explorer Platinum H&R Springs...Thoughts?

TAF

Trilogy Twin Screwed #004
Established Member
Sorry to barge into this forum, but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on H&R Springs added to Gen 5 Explorers? I'm taking possession of a rare, 2018 Platinum (completely loaded 3.5L Ecoboost, AWD, 2nd row buckets and even the rear headrest DVD *which I could care less about) I'm having mud flaps, Ford OEM running boards, NEW Conti DSW 06s and the accessory 2nd row Ford console, having a local shop match the leather and light stitching to the factory driver's console, installed before taking delivery.

My dealer GM friend found it for me on a Ford Dealer lot* in a very small town in a neighboring state) as a new, never titled 2018 with only 59.3 miles on the clock. I was looking for a 2019 Platinum, but found this gem.

I will NEVER go off road with this thing but looking to use it as a highway business cruiser to replace a company Taurus. I want to lower and level it...had read elsewhere good things about H&R Springs...just thought I'd ask the experts here, too?

Any productive thoughts?

noco5.0

Established Member
Nothing to add but if you do it would love to see pictures when you are done. I have an 18 Sport and have considered doing something similar.

TAF

Established Member
Nothing to add but if you do it would love to see pictures when you are done. I have an 18 Sport and have considered doing something similar.

Thanks and I will. FYI...searched around and found best price for springs @TireRack.com
My dealer is going to install.

I would have searched for a Sport, but wanted a light interior. The one I did find is a rare Platinum Dune Tri-Coat on the exterior (probably why if didn't sell...most don't like it)...meanwhile, I think I'll find the uniqueness more to my liking.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nothing to add, either, except just DO IT if you're wanted a lowered stance. Definitely post before and after photos here.

Congrats on finding basically a brand new 2018. I'm sure you got a great price on it.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
The truck will handle a lot better and probably look better as well but anytime u lower a vehicle it can make the ride much stiffer.

I think its a fair trade-off here cause its only lowered an a couple inches but know that the AWD versions have a lower center of gravity then the front wheel drive version.

TAF

Established Member
Nothing to add, either, except just DO IT if you're wanted a lowered stance. Definitely post before and after photos here.

Congrats on finding basically a brand new 2018. I'm sure you got a great price on it.
Thanks for the encouragement...my other ride *pic below has custom suspension and 560HP with a Trilogy Lysholm Twin Screw, so low and fast is always my preference

The truck will handle a lot better and probably look better as well but anytime u lower a vehicle it can make the ride much stiffer.

I think its a fair trade-off here cause its only lowered an a couple inches but know that the AWD versions have a lower center of gravity then the front wheel drive version.

Thanks...I'm excited for the lower center of gravity for handling, as well as what I hope is an improved stance. H&R claims 1.6" front lowering and 2.3" rear lowering as the average. Even though it has the optional, machined 20" wheels all the way around...the gaps still seem too high for me, for an interstate cruiser.

Below is the stance on my MARAUDER...which is PERFECT!

marauder-jpg.1483935

Thanks to all who have responded...before and after pics will be coming. Here is a quick pic from the small dealer's lot, where the truck is now, awaiting pick up...just sits TOO high for my taste...

upload_2020-12-24_10-37-36.png

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
In for pics, how was this never sold already?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TAF

Established Member
In for pics, how was this never sold already?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know...apparently my dealer said the dealer STILL had it floor-planned. As you can imagine, he was able to “steal it” and I get full Ford Warranty. And EXACTLY what I was looking for in a Gen 5 over the Gen 6.

I TRIED to get my Dealer Friend to run it through Ford 0% Financing...since it is STILL new...but he said “Ford wrote off this vehicle a LONG time ago...”

I think the dealer alluded to color being a concern for buyers. It is FULLY loaded like I said earlier...sticker right at $60K...

I’m looking forward to getting it and tweaking it...and I think I can actually let the color grow on me. You certainly don’t see many of these...

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Check out Steeda's full catalog. They have shocks/struts, lowering springs and a larger rear sway bar to complete a package for your truck.

The springs also dont slam the truck(i cant imagine the bump steer issues with something that low). So they might be a better option to keep the steering effort on point versus the H&R's. The springs also pair better with the shock/strut package which are on the level of the Sport model trims.

2011-2019 Ford Explorer Performance Suspension Upgrades | Steeda

They make some real quality parts for the 2011-2019 Explorer model. Check them out.

TAF

Established Member
Check out Steeda's full catalog. They have shocks/struts, lowering springs and a larger rear sway bar to complete a package for your truck.

The springs also dont slam the truck(i cant imagine the bump steer issues with something that low). So they might be a better option to keep the steering effort on point versus the H&R's. The springs also pair better with the shock/strut package which are on the level of the Sport model trims.

2011-2019 Ford Explorer Performance Suspension Upgrades | Steeda

They make some real quality parts for the 2011-2019 Explorer model. Check them out.

Thanks so much for the advice and the link...I will certainly check out what else could be used. I'm just looking for a lower, interstate cruiser profile, over that "20" STILL doesn't fill out the wheel well" look in the pic above.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks so much for the advice and the link...I will certainly check out what else could be used. I'm just looking for a lower, interstate cruiser profile, over that "20" STILL doesn't fill out the wheel well" look in the pic above.

The thing with lowering springs is usually they are at the upper end of the factory valving when it comes to spring rate(most bump rate 10-25% over stock). After a while the factory shocks just cannot keep up, even worse when they have mileage on them. An improved set of dampers like the Steeda package usually has matched compression and rebound valving to cope with the increased spring rate of the H&R or Steeda lowering springs. This all translates to better ride, handling and longevity over the factory damper package.

Also, the rear sway bar will be a massive improvement in roll control. Its significantly larger than the OE piece even on the Sport model trims. It will get rid of that floating feeling from the back of these style trucks(transverse mounted engine sending power rearward).

TAF

Established Member
The thing with lowering springs is usually they are at the upper end of the factory valving when it comes to spring rate(most bump rate 10-25% over stock). After a while the factory shocks just cannot keep up, even worse when they have mileage on them. An improved set of dampers like the Steeda package usually has matched compression and rebound valving to cope with the increased spring rate of the H&R or Steeda lowering springs. This all translates to better ride, handling and longevity over the factory damper package.

Also, the rear sway bar will be a massive improvement in roll control. Its significantly larger than the OE piece even on the Sport model trims. It will get rid of that floating feeling from the back of these style trucks(transverse mounted engine sending power rearward).

Thanks for the further clarification. I understand that springs on OEM struts/shocks may create concern with the travel ratio. On my MARAUDER, I have adjustable QA1s both front & back, for this very reason. I'm moving forward with the H&Rs when the tires are being swapped next week. Good to know that Steeda has identified shocks/strut aftermarket parts, should I find the springs on the OEM pieces not to my final liking.

Rear Sway bar sounds like something to certainly consider initially , as well., Thanks again!

TAF

Established Member
Took delivery today...but leaving it with the dealer on Monday for install of fresh set of Continental DWS 06 tires (to get rid of those damn flat-spotted South Korean Hankooks), Ford OEM running boards & mud flaps, 2nd row console, H&R Lowering/Leveling Springs, Lund front edge bug/chip deflector, WeatherTech Sunroof Deflector, Formula One front window tints @35%.

Gonna be my replacement company car after MANY years of Crown Vics then Taurus'...but will be my new "Business Man's Special"...

The color looks MUCH better in person, and MUCH better than the pic above, which was provided by the small town Ford dealer's flip phone...

I think the color has already started to grow on me...

Attachments

• EXPLORER 14.jpg
    EXPLORER 14.jpg
    439.5 KB · Views: 174

TAF

Established Member
So...I thought I'd come back and update my post, in case anyone was interested...

Cliff Notes Version...New 2018 Explorer Platinum "Unicorn" found on sitting on a small town Ford lot for ~2 1/2 years with only 59.6 miles on the clock, I took ownership January 2nd 2021. My Purchasing Dealer installed H&R Lowering/leveling springs, Ford Mud Flaps & Running boards, Lund/Ford Flush mount Bug-Rock deflector, WeatherTech Sunroof Deflector, Ford Accessories 2nd Row console, Ford Rear Cargo Protector, FormulaOne 35% tint on front windows, New Continental DWS 06s 255-55-20...

Before:

EXPLORER 8.JPG

explorer-1-jpg.jpg

explorer-6-jpg.jpg

EXPLORER 9.jpg
EXPLORER 10.jpg

TAF · February 20, 2021 at 1:53 PM

" data-iceapc="1" style="box-sizing: border-box; display: inline-block; max-width: 100%; color: rgb(20, 20, 20); font-family: "Segoe UI", "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Oxygen, Ubuntu, Cantarell, "Fira Sans", "Droid Sans", sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); cursor: pointer;">
explorer-10-jpg.jpg

EXPLORER 11.jpg
EXPLORER 13.jpg

" data-iceapc="1" style="box-sizing: border-box; display: inline-block; max-width: 100%; color: rgb(20, 20, 20); font-family: "Segoe UI", "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Oxygen, Ubuntu, Cantarell, "Fira Sans", "Droid Sans", sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); cursor: pointer;">
explorer-13-jpg.jpg

small EXPLORER pic.jpg

small-explorer-pic-jpg.jpg

After:

explorer-16-jpg.jpg

explorer-17-jpg.jpg

explorer-18-jpg.jpg

explorer-19-jpg.jpg

explorer-20-jpg.jpg

explorer-21-jpg.jpg

explorer-22-jpg.jpg

explorer-23-jpg.jpg

explorer-24-jpg.jpg

explorer-25-jpg.jpg

explorer-26-jpg.jpg

explorer-27-jpg.jpg

TAF

Established Member
explorer-29-jpg.jpg

explorer-30-jpg.jpg

explorer-31-jpg.jpg

explorer-32-jpg.jpg

Since Ford doesn't make a proper, businessman's sedan anymore...and after YEARS of driving Crown Vics and Taurus'...I decided to turn a Twin-Turbo Ecoboost Explorer into my "Businessman's Interstate Cruiser". It's STILL really dirty in the pics, as I only rinsed it off from driving up to New York and back this week throught the heavy snow. This things rides out NICE! It Feels VERY stable on the road and did GREAT driving through 5+ inches of snow, The Cross Bronx Expressway half way out Long island and back...on CRAZY-Bad Yankee Roads...

So...this will be it, for the next few years...

thedroidman

Even though this thread is a year old i found it and was pleasantly surprised. I just purchased a very similar 18.
Dune, Plantinum, bench 2nd row, no dvd. Otherwise loaded and black interior.
Just love the machine. Have been in over the road sales for 20 years.
It's interesting since i'm gonna install DWS06 Plus soon and very interested in lowering.
Nice ride bro!
AK

Users who are viewing this thread