New 5.0 DOHC GT to have 425hp?

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
Happy for Ford but at the same time depresses me that a stock GT now has the same/better performance than my Cobra that I've sank a lot of money into.

LOLasaurus

Established Member
only if its under 4000lbs?

cars especially sports cars are getting WAY too heavy IMO. Sure these car companies can rant and rave about having the most horsepower or the most torque but that really doesn't mean much when youre tipping the scales at over 4,000 lbs.

I come from the import camp (but i love all cars!!) where people could go decently fast without alot of power, even today people are stuffing bone stock K20 motors (200-220hp) motors in 94 civics and running mid 13s, not to mention getting 40+ mpg while doing it.

If ford could make a 400+hp GT that weighed in at 3200lbs I'd crap all over myself and then i'd sell a kidney to get it but I doubt that'll happen. But Im keeping my fingers crossed for a sub 3500lb 400+hp GT :burnout:

03CobraBro

Established Member
That would be a huge leap... Doesn't the current 315hp Mustang GT already run mid 13's? That'd guarantee 12's for sure.

Last edited:

Formula51

Established Member
Hey, you never know, it is the internet after all. However when considering some of the credible sources, that have a reliable history, making a statement, then it's wise to sit up and pay attention.
But. If "my mate's wife's 2nd cousin's uncle's brother-in-law's monkey's crocodile" comes up with a rumour, you would think twice about it.

Fourcam330 mentioned these figures a very, very long time ago, and other credible sources have backed these numbers. The issue is, if you don't know these guy's history then of course you can get a bit skeptical.

But, forget all that now. The 3.7's specific power should give you an idea of what to expect from the 5 litre. On 87 octane.

The Aussie 5.4 Boss is rated at 422hp (on higher octane) but with nowhere the amount of "bells and whistles" that this new unit has. In my opinion, 400 is conservative.

Cheers.

Yes, I know Fourcam and spoke with him by PM about this topic long ago and many others for that matter.

The Aussie 5.4 makes 422hp on high octane fuel. Does it pass US emissions standards and would its get hit with a gas guzzler tax in the states (I realize the Falcon is probably heavier than the GT, not sure though)? Latest I heard was that Ford may go to skip shift to avoid the gas guzzler tax on the 5.0L. If that is true then that would be VERY disappointing given the weight of the Mustang.

"Specific power" would put the 5.0L at 390hp (on premium fuel) based on the 5.4L and 412hp (on regular fuel) based on the 2011 Mustang V6.

Right or wrong, I'm more inclined to look at the 5.4L and other manufacturers 5.0L then the 3.7L V6. Like I keep saying, 400hp from a 5.0L on regular fuel would be frickin revolutionary! I'm not sure people are grasping that!

What "bells and whistles" do you expect the 5.0L to have that the 5.4L doesn't have? If I remember correctly, the heads on the 5.4L are very good.

03CobraBro

Established Member
If ford can come out with a 400+hp 5.0L DOHC GT that DOESN'T weigh 4000lbs I'll sell my Si on the spot to get one

But the Mustang GT's have never weighed too much more than in the neighborhood of 3500lbs. The current Mustang GT weighs in at 3590lbs. I don't think an extra cam will weigh it down an extra 400lbs. Get ready to put the old Vtech up on the market. :rolling:

Now the GT500 on the other hand... :nonono:

LOLasaurus

Established Member
But the Mustang GT's have never weighed too much more than in the neighborhood of 3500lbs. The current Mustang GT weighs in at 3590lbs. I don't think an extra cam will weigh it down an extra 400lbs. Get ready to put the old Vtech up on the market. :rolling:

Now the GT500 on the other hand... :nonono:

I hope they can keep it around what the current GT is at. But looking at the previous stangs it looks like its gonna go up eventually

05-current = 3400-3500lbs
94 - 04 = 3200-3300
90 - 93 = 2700-2800

ooo what I'd give for a 400hp DOHC 5.0L mustang that weighed 2800lbs

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
Seriously? Why don't you poll this board? Or a Google search? The coil packs on the 2V, 3V, and 4V engines go bad, A LOT! Ford has even released customer satisfaction programs for certain vehicles. Ford part numbers can be very useful if you know what you're looking at. Do you know how many times the COP has been updated for your car?

Injectors? Nearly fail-proof until 03. The 3Vs seems to get the bulk of the problems. They stick open. Check your local dealer for injector failure and resulting catalytic converter failure rates on the 3Vs, under warranty.

But the LS piston slap and oil consumption was never an issue right? And you show me a thread where stock LS1's regularly turn 6500 rpms w/ out problems. Stock pushrods were bending just by banging the factory rev limiter.
Or how about the head crack issue on the 5.3's, or intake gaskets needing to be replaced under 100k miles.
Lets not even get into heating issues and how the whole LS engine is garbage but the crank when used w/ forced induction.

Shall we get into the rest of the F body? how much time do we have?

Formula51

Established Member
But the LS piston slap and oil consumption was never an issue right? And you show me a thread where stock LS1's regularly turn 6500 rpms w/ out problems. Stock pushrods were bending just by banging the factory rev limiter.
Or how about the head crack issue on the 5.3's, or intake gaskets needing to be replaced under 100k miles.
Lets not even get into heating issues and how the whole LS engine is garbage but the crank when used w/ forced induction.

Shall we get into the rest of the F body? how much time do we have?

Absolutely right about the pushrods. However, they will spin to 6500rpm regularly if the pushrods are replaced. Oil consumption was only a real issue on early LS1's and I think some LS2's actually. The LS6 may have been a better overall engine than the LS2 honestly. Piston slap is present on startup, always has been, but it doesn't hurt anything 99.9% of the time. Not sure your point about forced induction. The engine wasn't designed for forced inducation:shrug: Then again, the LS2 and LS3 have actually done quite well in low boost applications, like Magnachargers for example.

Every series of engines has their problems. Some more than others. I think the LS series have proven to be very reliable and powerful. Of course they have their limits. Fords modular has its own set of problems, but has served them very well.

Falc'man

Turbo? WHAT turbo?
Established Member
Formula51 said:
Tons of board members in various threads, including this one I believe, have said they expect 400hp on regular octane.

Of course premium is recommended in the LS3, it was recommended in the LS1. All I am trying to say is that existing engines/technology do not support 400hp on regular octane without direct injection. ESPECIALLY, in a $30k car.

How much specific power does Ford's new 3.7 litre V6 have? I think you should move out of the 90's and take a good look at who's doing what!
Your argument is flawed, to draw conclusions based off what Jaguar put out is very short-sighted. And to produce 80hp/litre in an n/a isn't very difficult (unless you're GM).
Falc'man said:
But, forget all that now. The 3.7's specific power should give you an idea of what to expect from the 5 litre. On 87 octane.

I hate to say it, but.... I told you so!

R1der

SVT Vet
Established Member
gt to have 412....most def going to get one but i wonder if its gonna be on 87 or 93....maybe 425 on 93 lol prob nit but i can hope

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
412 horsepower, and no reason to think it wouldn't use 93..... not sure why that's a big deal to some of you. An extra $2 - $3 a fill up for the best interests of a $30,000 car seems ok by me.

Formula51

Established Member
I hate to say it, but.... I told you so!

Yes you did! However, the 3.7L makes its specific output on 87 octane. I haven't seen it published yet but I do not believe the Mustang GT's 412hp will be on 87 octane.

I am sure you will see it published that it can "run" on 87 octane as I think the Coyote has a knock sensor system to retard timing. However, the full power will only be realized on premium fuel.

As an enthusiast who spends plenty of money on my car, I have no problem with that. However, it is a big step for the traditionally more budget oriented Mustang.

Now if it comes out as "premium fuel ONLY" like the S62 5.0L in the BMW M5 was, that would be bad. I don't expect that though.

Speaking of BMW's, this Mustang GT with Track Pack could be a poor mans M3!!!!! I am very excited to see the reviews and it will be the first Mustang I EVER go test drive!

Last edited:

Falc'man

Turbo? WHAT turbo?
Established Member
Yes you did! However, the 3.7L makes its specific output on 87 octane. I haven't seen it published yet but I do not believe the Mustang GT's 412hp will be on 87 octane.

I am sure you will see it published that it can "run" on 87 octane as I think the Coyote has a knock sensor system to retard timing. However, the full power will only be realized on premium fuel.

As an enthusiast who spends plenty of money on my car, I have no problem with that. However, it is a big step for the traditionally more budget oriented Mustang.

Now if it comes out as "premium fuel ONLY" like the S62 5.0L in the BMW M5 was, that would be bad. I don't expect that though.

Speaking of BMW's, this Mustang GT with Track Pack could be a poor mans M3!!!!! I am very excited to see the reviews and it will be the first Mustang I EVER go test drive!
Our whole debate was about whether it made 400hp. And that knowing "who" the trusted sources are goes a lot further than stabs in the dark about an unknown quantity. That debate is over now.

I, too, cannot wait for it's reviews. Unlike yourselves though, Formula51, we don't have the option of buying it. :(

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
well, there really isn't a logical reason to keep running the cammer if the coyote makes just as much power and is proven more durable(cammer wouldn't pass fords durability tests, the coyote obviously did). i believe the cammer makes about 500-550 crank, but they are limited to somewhere between 415 and 450 crank in continental challenge(formerly koni challenge[formerly grand-am cup]) trim. obviously, not much work at all to get the 412 crank coyote up to.

Users who are viewing this thread