New Boss Owner!

175RangerBoy

Established Member
Hello all, I recently sold my Terminator and got a 2012 Boss 302. White with black decals, 2700 miles, all stock, recaros/differential option and red key activated. I'm pretty excited.
I'm coming from a 2011 GT500 and a modified Terminator, so pretty excited to see what the hype is about on these cars!

My questions is what are some good modifications to start out with? Anything I should know or do to protect the engine/trans? What's your favorite part about the Boss 302? THANKS!

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
Congrats!

As far as protecting the engine, replace the crank gear and oil pump gears with billet gears. The OEM gears can shatter if you hit the rev limiter. It all depends on how you drive it. For spirited driving and occasional runs on the quarter-mile you're probably ok. But if you plan on doing AutoX or Road Course/HPDE then you should change the gears.

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
The Boss (Roadrunner engine) OPGs are the same as the Coyote.

The Gen 1 Aluminators since 2013 came with the CobraJet oil pump that has the billet OPGs.

Supposedly, between 2011-2013 only the supercharged Aluminators came with the CJ oil pump and the NA Aluminators did not.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Congrats! I've got a 2013 Boss 302 in Performance white and love it. I owned a modified 04 SVT Cobra and just sold my 08 GT500 prior to picking up the Boss recently as well (I owned a 12 Boss as well).

In my experience, the Boss' are a better balanced Mustang out of the factory and lower production numbers, making them more collectable potentially, and you see far fewer on the street, making your Mustang a little more unique from the herd. I love the driving experience and the unique sound with Track Key enabled. If you get a chance to get it on a road course, do it. You won't be disappointed.

As for Mods, I highly recommend Corsa Extreme Axle Backs. No drone and absolutely sound great cruising or @ WOT. An oil catch can is another simple mod and a good way to keep the oil vapors out of your intake. Some also say a shifter mod is good to avoid the occasional high RPM lockout.

It won't give you that same straight line thrill that you get out of a forced induction car like the Cobra and GT500, but the acceleration is still good, and it handles really well. And if you really miss the FI, you can always slap a blower on the Boss knowing its got the forged internals to support it.

Enjoy!

175RangerBoy

Established Member
Congrats! I've got a 2013 Boss 302 in Performance white and love it. I owned a modified 04 SVT Cobra and just sold my 08 GT500 prior to picking up the Boss recently as well (I owned a 12 Boss as well).

In my experience, the Boss' are a better balanced Mustang out of the factory and lower production numbers, making them more collectable potentially, and you see far fewer on the street, making your Mustang a little more unique from the herd. I love the driving experience and the unique sound with Track Key enabled. If you get a chance to get it on a road course, do it. You won't be disappointed.

As for Mods, I highly recommend Corsa Extreme Axle Backs. No drone and absolutely sound great cruising or @ WOT. An oil catch can is another simple mod and a good way to keep the oil vapors out of your intake. Some also say a shifter mod is good to avoid the occasional high RPM lockout.

It won't give you that same straight line thrill that you get out of a forced induction car like the Cobra and GT500, but the acceleration is still good, and it handles really well. And if you really miss the FI, you can always slap a blower on the Boss knowing its got the forged internals to support it.

Enjoy!
That's the only thing I think I will miss. I've only had supercharged cars so I wonder if this car will feel sluggish to me. Its mint with 2k miles on it though, so I don't know if I'll supercharge it. I do know it can make a crap ton of power with a supercharger. The roadrunner can take a lot of power on the stock block.

68gtscode

Established Member
Congratulations on the purchase, sounds like a nice and low mile car. I have never owned a Boss but was thinking of buying one a few years ago. I drove a low mile 13 Grabber Blue at a local Ford dealer. Coming from a GT500 with a Whipple, the Boss seemed very slow. I have since had a few coyotes and it’s clear that with a power adder they can be more powerful than the old mod motors. So a VMP or Whipple would be on my short list of mods.

175RangerBoy

Established Member
Congratulations on the purchase, sounds like a nice and low mile car. I have never owned a Boss but was thinking of buying one a few years ago. I drove a low mile 13 Grabber Blue at a local Ford dealer. Coming from a GT500 with a Whipple, the Boss seemed very slow. I have since had a few coyotes and it’s clear that with a power adder they can be more powerful than the old mod motors. So a VMP or Whipple would be on my short list of mods.
Oh yeah, a GT500 with a supercharger upgrade will smoke me. I came from a Terminator with full bolt ons (minus headers) and the stock Boss 302 is pretty close to that performance wise, straight line that is. Brenspeed makes a kit that can get me 800 rwhp I’m definitely considering. The Boss is already light so that would be almost too much.

Users who are viewing this thread