New Cali Exhaust Law

jrandy

Established Member
It's a bullshit law that was designed to prevent one thing. Those stupid ****ing morons that shut down intersections every week in LA for sideshows. IMO, this law will single handedly stop them, regardless of how dumb of a solution the law was.

While I'm sure that you will see cops on power trips that abuse this law, I have a feeling that it's going to end up the same way as tint laws and such. If you're being a moron, the cop will probably give you a hard time for it. However, 99.999% of people with modified exhausts in CA will not even notice this law.

With that said, it's a retarded law that was drafted and voted on by morons. I'm not defending it one bit.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
From SEMA:

The Issue

California Assembly Bill (A.B.) 1824 was signed into law by then-Governor Jerry Brown in June of 2018 as part of the state’s budget process. The legislation amended how California law enforcement officials may issue a citation for exhaust noise violations.

The bill has generated significant concern within the industry and enthusiast community, along with some misinformation. This document seeks to clarify the matter. Most notably, enactment of A.B. 1824 did not change existing laws pertaining to exhaust noise or the sale and installation of aftermarket exhaust systems in California. Here are the facts.

Were California’s exhaust noise rules changed?

No. Since 2003, exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, may not exceed a sound level of 95-decibels when tested under Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) test procedure J1169 (May 1998). This was not changed by A.B. 1824.

Is it now illegal to install an aftermarket exhaust system on my vehicle?

No. The sale and installation of an aftermarket exhaust system remains legal in California so long as it does not exceed a sound level of 95-decibels when tested under SAE J1169 and complies with all other exhaust and safety laws and regulations.

If exhaust noise laws didn’t change, what did?

Beginning January 1, 2019, a motorist cited for violating the current California exhaust noise law can receive an immediate fine. Previously, motorists received what is known as a “fix-it” ticket, which allowed for 30-days to correct the violation.

What are my options if I get a ticket?

Consumers in receipt of a ticket still have the option of seeking a certificate of compliance from the California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) demonstrating that their exhaust emits no more than 95-decibels. This SEMA-sponsored program allows courts to dismiss citations for exhaust systems that have been tested and for which a certificate of compliance has been issued. BAR does not currently issue preemptive certificates of compliance.

If I get pulled over, will I receive a $1,000 fine?

According to the Judicial Council of California’s Uniform Bail and Penalty Schedules for 2019, the suggested base fine/fee for a first conviction is $25 with a total fee of $193.

I’ve still got questions?

Please contact Christian Robinson, SEMA’s Director of State Government Affairs & SEMA PAC, at [email protected].

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
What @jrandy and @SID297 just posted is 100% correct. Most people with loud cars don't get hassled for them. And a large number of cops I know and have been pulled over by are car enthusiasts. This is just a way to further stick it to the idiots doing these stupid street takeovers and acting like assholes to cops when you were pulled over for speeding. Just like tint and having no front plate, you will only be cited for them if you're a dick.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
49643135_925635174308632_7266574847918997504_n.jpg
Take it to court and ask the officer to prove that the crack in the sidewalk was caused by your car pounding the pavement.

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
$1,000.00 fine for exhaust sound, however: "With limited exceptions, motorists cannot talk on a cell phone, or text, when driving in California. The fine for a violation of either VC 23123 or VC 23123.5 can range from $20.00 to $50.00, plus court costs and assessments."

The logic is staggering.

E

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
$1,000.00 fine for exhaust sound, however: "With limited exceptions, motorists cannot talk on a cell phone, or text, when driving in California. The fine for a violation of either VC 23123 or VC 23123.5 can range from $20.00 to $50.00, plus court costs and assessments."

The logic is staggering.

E

Just like the insanity of prop 65, prop 13, etc. Welcome to California.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Just wait until they completely prohibit the sale of all non-OEM equipment that affects emissions or sound. Vendors will not even be legally able to ship their products to the state.

That day will come. Stripping your freedoms away, one stupid little law/regulation at a time.

Already happening. VMP won’t ship/sell to CA.

We arent far off from that. Some companies will not ship anything to CA already because they have faced lawsuits from CARB. I have been turned down the shipments of a few car parts and of some gun parts over the past couple years.

Exactly.

Well this is a great reason for Ford to call the future Hybrid/electric Mustangs "California Specials"

Sent from my Note9

LOL !!

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
How will this law stop the side shows? Not trying to be a dick, I'm legitimately asking. A car doesn't need to be loud in order to do donuts. Or am I thinking of the wrong thing?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
My 03 Cobra had Magnaflow high-flow cats, and I passed a sniffer no problem. Only other mods were cat-back and a CAI; stock tune though.

I think it depends on the quality of the cats. I've heard of some passing with high flows and others failing.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Good, shit stains deserve the political mess they vote for.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Good, shit stains deserve the political mess they vote for.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

I dont think most car enthusiasts are voting for these dumb shits. Unfortunately when you have an unlimited amount of undocumented voters voting for Nancy and her gang its hard to win.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
How will this law stop the side shows? Not trying to be a dick, I'm legitimately asking. A car doesn't need to be loud in order to do donuts. Or am I thinking of the wrong thing?
You're absolutely right.
They're just pretty much targeting anyone with a fast looking/sports/muscle car. So much for "Innocent till proven guilty".

Users who are viewing this thread