New car, looking for a couple tips and tricks.

Stephen4036

Established Member
So I just snagged a white 2018 GT. My main concerns are protection of the headlights/glass, interior and love bug removal.

1. With living in Florida it is love bug season and I am going to get a ton of these daily. I guess my questions are what is the best way to remove these safely so paint doesnt come with them.? Along with any products to protect the paint once clean other than an Xpel/Clear Bra.

2. Glass/Headlights. My last car had some nasty hard water stains and headlights almost past restoration. What are my best forms of protection living in a state that rains everyday and also is almost always hot and sunny beaming down?

3. Interior protection. I have the leather black/brown combo and am looking for something not too oily or greasy to apply for general protection of the leather. Also looking for an easy wipe on solution for the rest of the interior to stay nice and fresh with the sun always beaming into the car.

Thanks in advance!

Stephen4036

Established Member
I have browsed a couple of his threads. Definitely looking for something much more "im an idiot" proof but I'm hes got some tricks for us noobs too.

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
Coat it! Coat it all. Seriously.

Love bugs will come off much easier. Headlights, after restoration, will have a much better UV resistance.

Interior leather, after coating, is so much easier to maintain and keep clean. (Like the exterior would be as well)

Interior. GYEON leather shield. Easy to use and you can do it.

Paint coating: 22ple HPC. Pretty easy to use and excellent durability.

You will Still need to use a waterless wash to remove the love bugs.

Hope this helped and if you need more info let me know!

Stephen4036

Established Member
Hey man,

Appreciate it, theres a few different GYEON kits.

https://tinyurl.com/y4fqppll

I will assume this is what you're referring to and its idiot proof to apply?

For the ceramic coating is there a preferred tutorial video on application? All the things ive seen is you usually take it somewhere to get ceramic coated. Would the ceramic coat also be applied to the plastics? Grill, lip, mirror, etc etc?

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
Yes. That’s the one. Look at auto geek dot com and Autopia dot com. They have been having 20-25% off sales.

Yes. Coat it all except the glass.

You can google a tutorial, and follow directions that come with whatever one you choose.

Prep is the key. Make sure the patient is where you want it to be ( from a correction point ) and then make sure it’s properly prepped: wiped down with a surface prep product prior to coating.

Stephen4036

Established Member
Yeah I have no clue how to even tell. The most paint work ive ever done is just clay bar and apply new wax lol.

Seems like a pretty intensive process.

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
It is. Now, if you don’t want to do any paint correction...

Wash. Dry. Clay. Wipe down\prep wipe. Coat. Done.

Not the ‘correct’ way to do it, but it would be coated and last just as long, with the same protection and qualities of a coated vehicle

If you were closer...and I had some availability soon...

Stephen4036

Established Member
Yeah I saw the location and I was like, sooo close lol.

What can I put on my glass to avoid hard water stains?

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
There are a few glass coatings out there as well as glass sealants (little easier to use, won’t last as long).

I haven’t found anything I’m really excited with yet. Gtechniq has a decent glass coating.

Adams I believe has a glass sealant that I’ve used with good results.

Stephen4036

Established Member
That adams stuff seems pretty good, ive used some of their stuff on my others.

Nasty do you have site you recommend to get "bulk" clay bars, microfibers, etc?

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
^^^not for clay, but the rag shop is good for mf towels. I also have a Korean contact from Instagram that I’ve used. Need to dig it up and will share...

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
I’ve been using clay alternatives for a while, griots or Adams mitts. But for clay bars, Megs for aggressive and Adams for fine.

merkyworks

Established Member
Paint coating: 22ple HPC. Pretty easy to use and excellent durability.

So fully admit to being a novice but I haven't heard of this brand before. What makes you recommend this ceramic coating over something like a Cquarts, Adams or TopCoat ect?

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
Ive got experience with them, and am one of their certified installers. They are an excellent coating, but don’t have the ‘name recognition’ like the others.

The others mentioned are all excellent products as well, although I do not know anything about top coat.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Having just had my Genesis G70 ceramic coated by a good friend of mine, and knowing there's a lot of work involved, you might want to consider having the coating done by a professional. I'm not saying you can't do it, but it does require some know-how. Just a thought. I personally would not want to do it myself. First, I don't really have the time to do it, and second, I'm not convinced my prep would be spot on. I want it done right, the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread