• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

New clutch break in....??

Discussion in 'Driveline' started by rsnyder, Jan 22, 2008.

1. rsnyder

rsnyder SVT Established Member

Can someone explain the proper way to "break-in" a new clutch? I have heard that the break in period is approx. 300-500 miles. Does that sound right? It is a Spec 3+ with new Fidanza aluminum flywheel. Thanks. :thumbsup:

2. 03 Whippled Cobra

03 Whippled Cobra Active Member Established Member

I don't know if there are "proper" procedures for it. I had a Spec 3+ installed about 3-4 months ago. I just took it easy on the clutch for the first 1000 miles or so. No WOT pulls, I barely got into any boost at all unless I hit 2-3 psi trying to pass someone. The more city, stop and go, driving you do the better. I beleive that the 500 miles of breakin are considered city driving conditions so it may take you 1000 miles to get to that mark, if that makes sense. I'd say just take it easy on the clutch for the first 1000 miles and you will slowly start to feel the chatter go away. Once I put 1000 on the clutch I still had a little chatter but I started to drive normally again. Now after 2000 miles or so my chatter is basically gone and the clutch feels almost stock but with a lighter pedal feel.