New Clutch Issues

Notorious2409

NO HOPE
Established Member
Got my New Spec super twin done today and tried to take it for my first spin but didnt even make it out of the driveway of the shop.....

Im looking for people who might be running this clutch that could give me some feedback on what to try to check. I will call Spec first thing monday morning but till then, thought i would try to ask here for a little help.

I have 3 issues after my install.

Issue 1,

I have "Chatter" everytime i disengage the clutch. In the instructions that came with the clutch it says a possible cause is due to the clutch not being broke in. Not sure though this is really the case for me. Also, the car was on a bit of a incline so i let it roll backwards in neutral and i could hear "chatter" / "vibration" comming from somewhere in the clutch or driveline. It almost felt like the driveshaft was vibrating for a second, really strange. Something isnt right with it and that for sure i know.

Issue 2,

Its very hard to shift gears now. And i mean hard. I gave up on getting it into reverse after 10 or 15 mins fighting the shifter, it just wouldnt go into reverse. On my second attempt to get out of the parking lot i grinded the hell out of 2nd gear and i had the clutch pedal to the floor.

Issue 3,

Clutch pedal is to the FLOOR! Clutch is either ON or OFF. There is no "play" at all on this thing. I killed it at least 5 or 6 times trying to make it from a dead stop in 1st gear. I have to give it WAYYY to much gas to make it move out of 1st gear. There is just no way i can drive the car like this. I need a bit more time to get the gas pedal pushed. It sure is NO WHERE like the stock clutch at all. It acts like the slave cylinder is not extending far enough out or something, and i even bought a new one to put in while i had the tranny out.

So right off the bat im disappointed but the jury is still out for me on the clutch till i can talk to a tech at spec monday morning. Not sure if i have missed something somewhere. Everything went together so smooth and thats prolly the biggest reason im disappointed.

Last edited:

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Are you positive you installed it properly? The new clutch will probably take some getting used to but it definitely sounds like something isn't right w/ either the part or install, I know on my RXT it had a higher release point but it was very smooth and just took a little getting used to.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I had a Spec clutch in my Terminator. Chattered like crazy and was just like a light switch. Terrible to drive. I would think a twin disk would be much easier but maybe not.

serickson1

sericksonGT500
Established Member
Break in???? Whats Break in......installed it, dynoed it, and raced it, all within 3 days. Works great, very little chatter, and the car pulls away smooth with no throttle pressure with the 3.90 gears. Sounds like an install issue.

Van@RevanRacing

Your clutch was installed incorrectly.

The simple fact that it won't go into gear is indicative that the shop should have never let you take the car. It almost sounds like the plates were installed backwards.

I tried calling you back even though I'm out but after reading this description it is clear they installed it incorrectly. Some chatter can be expected with any new clutch but no engagement and inability to shift is incorrect install.

Van

Notorious2409

NO HOPE
Established Member
Your clutch was installed incorrectly.

The simple fact that it won't go into gear is indicative that the shop should have never let you take the car. It almost sounds like the plates were installed backwards.

I tried calling you back even though I'm out but after reading this description it is clear they installed it incorrectly. Some chatter can be expected with any new clutch but no engagement and inability to shift is incorrect install.

Van

I saw you called this morning. sorry i didnt answer 97 degrees here yesterday and was tired of messing with the car at the shop and came home and crashed lol.

Car is still sitting in my friends shop. like i said i couldnt make it out of the parking lot. Were going to have to tear back into it on monday and see what we can see. Everything lined up when putting everything back together. IT went back in easier than it came out to be honest.

We all disagree on the cause of the issues. i think we missed something somewhere. Other 2 guys helping me are citing a bad clutch or the slave cylinder is not extending far enough. They talked about shimming the flywheel but im not sold on that at all. I mean shimming a new flywheel???

For sure im going to talk to Spec the second they open monday morning and get some questions answered.

Which one did you go with? Hope you get it sorted out. Was the system bled properly?

Super Twin SS-Trim. We bled the system twice per the install instructions. We even called spec and they tech recommended we try to bleed it a second time, which we did.

Users who are viewing this thread