New Clutch: spec or king cobra?

mgmustang1

Established Member
i need to put a new clutch in. i had a king cobra in my gt running 12's and that thing was great. is the spec stage 1 better, its rated @ 410ft lbs max. also steel or aluminum flywheel. they sell this f1 aluminum flywheel on ebay for $185. or should i just go with a steel? thanks

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
What is your power level?

King Cobra is good for a long life at 350 rwhp. Same with the Centerforce dual friction.
If you plan future power upgrades definitly go with the Spec. I am currently running a Spec 2+ and have been happy with it.

stangbear427

Established Member
Well, if you like a clutch that grabs right off the floor (I hate it) then the KC is the only one I know of. That alone is enough for me to never buy another one. Otherwise, I don't know of a better clutch for the money. I've seen several grenaded CF DF clutches, including my own with a bolt on GT, and will never spend the premium money for that crap again. Not saying they aren't good clutches, but if you spend the money for a Mercedes, you don't want to leave with a Lexus. I've had good luck with a spec stage 1 and their billet steel FW. I've heard a lot of spec horror stories though, so I feel I may have been lucky. I think if I had it to do again I'd go aluminum, but I'd be wary of an aluminum FW under $200. Don't know much about it though. Honestly, the only clutch I recommend without reservation anymore is McLoud, but you didn't exactly ask for recommendations...

mgmustang1

Established Member
stock motor, full exhaust, 3.73's are the mods. i've heard bad things about spec also but wanted to hear someone with a stage 1. im looking to keep price under $200. guess im leaning more towards king cobra now. thanks guys

stangbear427

Established Member
Well, to clarify, I've never heard of anyone having a problem with a spec stage 1 (yet), mostly stage 2's and 3's. And for what it is, I love it. Nice and smooth for normal use, but if you heat it up it grabs hard like a light switch. Best of both worlds for my purposes, and while I've gotten my KC's to slip with bolt on cars, this spec is far more hardcore for the same price without sacrificing any civility. My wife drives it with no problems. The main advantage I saw was that I could get it in a package with a matched billet FW for a deal, and I like to buy things in matched packages. Maybe just me though.

Last edited:

mustangcobra93

Established Member
I've been running a spec stage 3 for 4 or so years now and its been great. Still performs perfectly. I also am running spec's steel flywheel.

buddha93

Established Member
stangbear427 said:
I don't know of a better clutch for the money. I've seen several grenaded CF DF clutches, including my own with a bolt on GT, and will never spend the premium money for that crap again.

Ditto. :thumbsup:

I've run a few King Cobra clutches on the street and with slicks at the track and they hold up great.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
stangbear427 said:
Well, if you like a clutch that grabs right off the floor (I hate it) then the KC is the only one I know of. ...

That is in the quadrant not the clutch.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
LEE93COBRA said:
King Cobra is good for a long life at 350 rwhp.

If you avoid using slicks. :lol:

I made about 15-20 passes on slicks and then daily drove the car about 8K miles. Thats when it started slipping.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Kevins89notch said:
If you avoid using slicks. :lol:

I made about 15-20 passes on slicks and then daily drove the car about 8K miles. Thats when it started slipping.

Guess I had a good one. Mine lasted 50k miles along with many slick passes before the disc came apart

stangbear427

Established Member
LEE93COBRA said:
That is in the quadrant not the clutch.
No it's not, it's the design of the pressure plate. Despite what people seem to think about adjustable quadrants and FWA's, they aren't for dialing in where the clutch grabs. There is one correct amount of tension, and where it grabs is up to the clutch design. I've used dozens of different combos, and the only clutch that grabs like this is the KC. It doesn't matter what quadrant I'm using, as I've used dozens of those as well, most with a KC.

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
Its obvious that many of us have had mixed experiences with both clutches: I've never had a King Cobra grab right off the floor ( I have had 2, and others I know have had good experiences with the better than stock feel of it [granted I also use an adjustable quadrant and pick-up: sounds like a cable problem]), I personally haven't had any problems with my current CF DF set up--its been in my car for about 2 years now. I would lean toward the KC solely because it feels better since I drive my Cobra all the time. I have heard good things about the Spec 1 and only one issue with the Spec 3-- and it was the installers fault. 2 bits for the road...

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
stangbear427 said:
No it's not, it's the design of the pressure plate. .

This may be true, but if you were to use an adjustable pick-up it would reposition your pedal. Even before I had the adjustables, this wasn't my experience: as I said, we all have had different experiences.

Batman

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
Maybe, in another thread, maybe someone could expound on what are considered to be the best clutches for the different ways we drive. Also I would like to read about some billet aluminum flywheels for the daily driver...Didn't me to bite on your thread...

stangbear427

Established Member
I've used quadrants and FWA's from Maximum Motorsports, UPR, Steeda, Ram, FRPP and Fiore. It's never mattered. My Cobra still has the original clutch and quadrant, and it behaves exactly the way the the KC did in the other two cars and multiple linkages I used with. While trying to diagnose a clutch problem with my TKO several years ago, I spent hours on the phone with every clutch maker I know of. Every one of their techs without exception told me linkage does not determine where your pedal height is when the clutch engages if it is adjusted properly, the pressure plate does. I also had a Motorsport tech tell me specifically that the KC clutch is designed to grab low, it isn't my imagination or lack of adjustment. I've never had a KC engage anywhere near the middle of the pedal arc- which is how most clutches operate and where it belongs- and no amount of tweaking with any combination of linkage parts has every made it engage or disengage any higher. I don't know how you've managed to use one without noticing this, unless you just aren't as picky about your engagement height as I am. Wait- doesn't the Batmobile have an auto?:D

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
After running a McLeod, I will never run anything again. Engagement, reliability is top notch. However, between the spec and the KC I would go with the KC as I feel the spec is a little too harsh for the stock trans. JMHO

As for flywheels, I decided to go with a billet STEEL flywheel from fidanza and it has been great. I decided against the aluminum as I didn't want o give up torque and also did't want to have to worry about what may happen if I miss a shift (even the best have bad days). Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread