New Clutch

nickstobias

cobracommander04
Established Member
So after six years my stock 09 clutch finally went and a slipping pretty bad. This is probably been discussed 1 million times but what are your suggestions for a new clutch with a car with 700 rear wheel horsepower? Just a street car not dragged any advice would be appreciated as I’m sure they have come out with new clutch is that I am unfamiliar with

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
A Spec Super twin SS with cerametallic (racing) or organic (street) clutch discs will work well at your power level. If I ever need to replace my clutch again, I will consider Centerforce DYAD DS based on the technology and good reviews, or just rebuild my Spec.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Been running the RXT for 9 years now at 600+ RWHP with a decent amount of drag strip exposure. Very stout clutch. Takes a pounding and continues to perform at a high level. Not as streetable as stock or 13/14’ clutches to the point that it may not be worth it to some folks. I’ve gotten used to it and have been able to minimize it a bit with practice and adaptation.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
That’s great to know! Hope it holds up for a while in 700 wheel I know the 13/14 came with 662 flywheel hp

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

lemme respond. My stock clutch in my 2013, 4500 miles, 700rwhp was replaced with a McLoed RXT. And it wasn't because I just wanted to buy something that day
And it feels better than stock imo

The clutch is something you only wanna do once. But yet, people do it 5 times trying to get it right

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Other factors to consider besides torque holding capacity:

- pedal pressure required to actuate the clutch
- clutch engagement point relative to pedal position (low, mid, high)
- clutch aggressiveness: can you slip it or is it an on/off switch?
- chatter: does it slip, grab, and shake the vehicle during engagement or is engagement smooth?

All these factors as well as proper installation, proper break-in, and vehicle operating conditions will dictate whether you are pleased with your clutch replacement. While not an overly difficult task to perform, it can be a time consuming and costly event, and not something you want to do over if it can be avoided. Replace the pilot bearing and slave cylinder while the transmission is out, and for better clutch pedal feel, a stainless steel clutch fluid line is a plus.

44shelby

Established Member
I cant speak for a gt500 but I had an rxt in my 2004 cobra and it was terrible like to the point where I wouldn't buy another one. When my clutch takes a dump on me I will be going with dyad most likely

HKusp

Established Member
It was hard as fk to press the pedal and it chattered like no other. I took it out 3 times to check everything thinking maybe I made a mistake. Come to find out a lot of people have those issues with them.
I had no issues with the pedal feel on my GT500, but it would chatter a bit at what I would call normal rpm when starting off in 1st gear. That being said, once I learned how to give it a few hundred more RPM off the line, it was as smooth as silk.

LS WUT

Established Member
I had no issues with the pedal feel on my GT500, but it would chatter a bit at what I would call normal rpm when starting off in 1st gear. That being said, once I learned how to give it a few hundred more RPM off the line, it was as smooth as silk.
Yeah this is the issue I had. My clutch feel wasn’t horrible. I threw a stock one back in after it went out. I still have the old one laying on the floor. Gonna donate it

Users who are viewing this thread